Notices

Post withdrawal addictions

Old 11-26-2012, 12:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering alcoholic

Smile Post withdrawal addictions

Hi there guys, it's me again.

I just thought I would share my experience. After giving up the booze, I found myself feeling like I have lost something, i.e. alcohol and was getting depressed, so I was like I need to have something but what? Cigarettes and caffiene. I am always smoking and drinking coffee all the time and late at night I take Benadryl to sleep which I have been for a while now. I found if I don't have something I have trouble keeping focused on my recovery, I know this may sound silly but I never even smoked that much before I drank. I am on benzos, clobazam, but want to get off them as they are CNS depressants as well, I think I was giving that particular medication to treat my anxiety as well as the withdrawal fits I had. Now I have been on them, plus Zoloft I feel nothing from them and want to get off them, so I am gonna speak to my doc soon about cutting them down as I know they are dangerous to stop like alcohol.

Would anyone like to share their thoughts?
Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I left the laughing academy after 10 weeks "treatment" but didn't bother with any AA or other support.

Looking back, I lost something, my solution, alcohol. I went to bed and couldn't get up. It seems I sank into a deep depression, I just could not function. They gave me some pills, I took one and it didn't work, so I didn't bother with the rest. I went back to the only solution I knew. I drank again, just trying to attain that sense of ease and comfort, but I always overshot. Drank for another two years, got worse, went to AA, having tried everything else available.

There I found an alternative solution and my life was transformed. I had to do a bit of work though, a lot of stuff I didn't like cos it went against my ego and my pride, deal with stuff I had tried to minimise, rationalise, sweep under the carpet, but I did it because it was that or die. I was at that point where I had only two choices, continue on my destructive path to the end, or accept spiritual help.

It's good you are talking to your doctor about the other substances. Luckily I never went down that path, the doctors back then didn't give that stuff out very much. But I do know that getting sober is a painful business and it seems pain is the touchstone of all spiritual growth. I have sponsored a few over the years, but I have never had any success with those who insist on avoiding the pain. They only seem to suceed in avoiding recovery.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'd have to agree with Gottalife above. Just putting down alcohol, and not learning a different way to live, would not have worked for me. There was just to much junk I needed to get rid of in my head.
I now recognize if I am substituting something else, but usually it is a healthy substitute, like running, or throwing myself in to learning something. The only substance I haven't overcome, where I still think more is better and make myself sick sometimes, is ice cream. But I have yet to black out on the stuff!
Old 11-26-2012, 05:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hello Jason,

Your situation was like mine, and in some ways, still is like mine. I'm in my late 20's, and quitting drinking or using made it very difficult to go through daily life. I no longer had the "magic pill" that helped me take the edge off. Also, life seemed boring without any alcohol or pills. After going through inpatient treatment, I was pretty much looking for healthy highs. I do drink a lot of caffeine, but I do not smoke. I enter into a lot of triathlon races, so working out is another way I get my kicks.

The terminology for trading one addiction for another is called Cross Addiction. I was told that this happens quite often for alcoholics/addicts. Be aware that these cross addictions don't lead you back to your original addiction. At first, I scoffed at this cross addiction stuff, and I thought I just didn't have to worry about alcohol. I was wrong. Long story short, I started doing prescription pills, and then went back to alcohol. I was combining the two which is much worse.

As for the medications that you listed, I'm not a doctor, so i'm going to talk to your doctor about that. How many days do you have under your belt? The reason why I ask is that you must let your body recover. Whether it's months or years of damage from whichever substance, your body needs time to heal. If things seem boring, depressed, mundane, odd, more than likely it's from the abuse of the substance. BTW, i'm not sure if you were drinking while you were on anti-depressants, but I've read and heard that mixing the two creates more issues.

I was never a patient guy, and always wanted to do it now. If you are anything like me, i'm going to suggest that you slow down and relax. Making too many changes early on in sobriety can cause inverse benefits.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

well...i only made it 2 weeks sober. but, yes!! i wanted to smoke. which i gave up cold turkey like 8yrs ago. until i started drinking about 4 yrs ago, i would think about smoking everyday - drinking took (takes) that thought away every day
Old 11-27-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey Jase, I'm currently on Benzos too (Valium), to help with anxiety I abused Xanax for over 6 years while drinking (Glad I'm off that crap). I'm on anti - depressants as well and I eventually want to be off everything. Takes time I guess. I'm in AA with 4 months up and my anxiety has decreased so much but I just cant wait to have fun again without alcohol or drugs, feels like i'm missing out lol.
Old 11-27-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think it's fine to use something temporary to help.

But a clean life is a clean life and is possible. I stopped drinking 2 weeks ago. I feel great but I still smoke cigarettes. Alot less but still. Nicotine is my next target.

I will not fail, I can do this, I won't let cigarettes kill me, I want the hole package of a sober and healthy life. Failure is not an option, this is my life and I choose how to live it, I will not let myself be controlled by anything anyone and specially not stupid addictions!

Pumping myself there, sorry about this. LOL!
Old 11-27-2012, 07:36 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JasonMarchelak View Post
I take Benadryl ... I am on benzos, clobazam, ... plus Zoloft
I can only speak from the experience of not doing ANY mind or mood altering chemicals, but I had to go through a greiving process with drinking and drugs. It felt like a death in the family and dog getting run over at the same time.

I'm no doctor so I can't really comment on your pill habit, but I can say that many of those psycotropic drugs and benzos can be incredibly dangerous to attempt to stop abruptly. Get some proper medical advice before attempting coming off of that stuff.