Notices

Relapsed

Old 11-24-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Relapse is what i discussed at my first therapy session today. i know i never want to drink again,(i mean im here and have started therapy, so i really want to do this) but im not unrealistic, relapse is a very big possibliltiy, i mean ive been drinking for over 15years and only made it to day three. and with the holiday session comming up well. The relationship ive had with alcohol is a very strong one (not a good one) but strong non the less, i might well want to let go of alcohol but its going to fight like hell not to let go of me. and like any relationship its very hard to end a relationship that has gone on this long overnight. So i have added relapse into my recovery programe so if it happens im prepare and if it does not well thats good. So first i will get over as quickly as possable, not beat myself up to the point on being destiuctive (i mean i will feel bad about it thats only natural), brush myself off pick myself up and carry on using every means on strength and all the support net works i hav, (a trusted family member therapist, sr what ever it takes to get me back on my feet. have you tried blogging, ive found been totaly honest with myself through blogs have helped, i just write what im thinking feeling experiancing going through ect at that time. pulling all the tools out the bag.

"The past is in a different country, they do things differently there"
Old 11-24-2012, 05:01 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

You asked for stories about how we quit drinking, so here is my abbreviated story. One day I grew very tired of drinking, of feeling ill and all of that. So I . . . just . . . stopped drinking.

I know, you've probably heard all kinds of stuff about how hard it is, that it is a disease and you can't quit without meetings and steps and sponsors and beast and . . . all that stuff. Well, guess what, you can. Stop buying alcohol. Stop drinking it. Find a purpose for you life and start living it. If you need to interact with people, post here, find some meetings, whatever. I can't say what will work for you, but not drinking has worked for me for close to two years. Life is so much better this side of sober.
Old 11-24-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Sorry Dee. Got hung up on the "besides AA" request.

OP, a lot of us had 'false starts' before landing on our feet. Unfortunately, "relapse" or continued drinking just can't be taken lightly.. for me it would be deadly, and I view it as such. Hope you come back when you're sober again and talk to us.. we do understand, and obviously we have a lot of experience to glean from if you'll let us Sorry about the side commentary!