Notices

Slipped - not even 3 days in

Old 11-16-2012, 08:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Slipped - not even 3 days in

Well, I got to my third evening, almost three whole days... and then I broke. Not to make excuses, but there was a trigger, aside from just wanting to drink (and I was not having withdrawal symptoms at all). I got a missed call from my uncle – my grandmother is almost 95 and has not been well and I was terrified the call was bad news. He didn’t leave a voicemail and I, in typical cowardly alcoholic fashion, did not return his call.

Instead, I went to the store and bought a bottle of wine and, needless to say, drank all of it over the course of yesterday evening.

I was / am so determined! Why am I so weak? How did I forget my intentions and my plan?

I suspect that many, if not most, alcoholics actually do start their sobriety in fits and starts like this... maintaining it for a time, then having a slip, then back to sobriety until it finally becomes a permanent way of life. I would welcome your thoughts / experience on this.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Shepherdess View Post
I was / am so determined! Why am I so weak? How did I forget my intentions and my plan?
I think you are finding it more difficult than you thought...I don't know. I recall responding to a post of yours where you seemed to think it was a matter of changing your routine.

As you see, it's a lot more than that. And it's not weakness that drives us back to the bottle. It's the strength of the addiction.

Originally Posted by Shepherdess View Post
I suspect that many, if not most, alcoholics actually do start their sobriety in fits and starts like this... maintaining it for a time, then having a slip, then back to sobriety until it finally becomes a permanent way of life. I would welcome your thoughts / experience on this.
I imagine that's the pattern for a lot of us. And we eventually "get it" and stay quit.

I suspect a lot slip and never try to recover again. Some seem to quit/slip, quit/slip over and over and over again and sobriety never makes a foothold.

I struggled for over ten years, but suspect I never really put my heart into it. Even when I did vow to quit forever, prior to coming here to SR, I relapsed. It was the relapse that did more for my recovery than my vow. It proved to me I was an alcoholic and could never, ever, drink again.

And I haven't.

Stay strong.
Old 11-16-2012, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, Shepherdess.

That kind of behaviour sounds quite familiar - to dumb feelings with wine so it doesn't hurt to face fears/reality/bad news, whatever. It takes some time to change this pattern, but it's possible. You have to develop a new habit, day by day. Make some plans ahead to cope with these situations, find something that works for you - exercising, walking, posting here, anything. Once you cope with fear without wine, it'll be better next time.

Take care.
Old 11-16-2012, 10:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The hardest part of sobriety for me was dealing with life without being able to drown away all feelings, if only for the moment. I depended on alcohol only to realize it was the root cause of 99% of those issues.

No matter what, alcohol only makes it worse.

Alcohol does nothing, only harm.

Best of luck to you in your path of sobriety.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Linkin Park Enthusiast

I agree with thisisme.

The alcohol is only the symptom. You have to find the triggers, find a way to cope with them, and actually use that coping mechanism (that is hard for me, I would rather drink, it is easier) and then NOT drink.

No point quitting drinking if you don't know WHY you were drinking in the first place.
Old 11-16-2012, 03:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I agree with everyone. One litle thing, for me it came when I could no longer look at myself in the mirror. Lying to myself, then my moral would tell me lying is bad. That created a major shortcircuit after a while
Old 11-16-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by inpieces314 View Post
No point quitting drinking if you don't know WHY you were drinking in the first place.

I drank because it felt good, tasted good, and for a long time had a lot of good times associated with it.

Why I drank after the good times were all gone and it was causing horrible trouble in my life was because I had developed the phenomenon of craving and mental obsession that Dr Silkworth described.

Good luck to OP. I would encourage you to try attending some AA meetings. I found my answers there.