Notices

Insanity /Humorous

Old 11-11-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Insanity /Humorous

I know this is a deadly serious illness, but I wanted to start a thread illustrating the insanity of alcoholism, with some of the funny, outrageous, ridiculous things that we thought due to our illness.

Last night I was driving with my daughter in the passenger seat of the car, and there is a light on the dash indicating when the airbag is activated.

I used to curse that thing, and wanted to find a way to disable it. It's a pressure activated switch in the seat, and a twelve pack of bottles will set it off. Problem is, with no person there, the seatbelt alarm bell would drive me crazy! It really bummed me out that I couldn't drive around with a case of beer in arms reach!
Old 11-11-2012, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

How big is the light on the dash ?? ........ .25 cal, .32 cal, .38 cal, .45 cal

How's that for insanity?

All the best.

Bob R
Old 11-11-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I thought it was normal to throw away food in the refrigerator so that I could fit in more alcohol.....
Old 11-11-2012, 11:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I thought it was normal to take my pillow and sleep in the bathroom so I could be close to the toilet to throw up.
Old 11-11-2012, 12:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I thought it was a good idea to keep a drinking straw in the car so I could test the vodka before I went to all the trouble of taking it home.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Wow. Just thought of another one. Everybody keeps a church key on their dashboard for imported roadies right?
Old 11-11-2012, 04:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I thought it was a good idea to put on an evening gown at 8 am so I could "feel pretty" when I bought my stash at the store. Even a better idea to hit on the cute checkout guy almost half my age.
Old 11-11-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Kids used to go to bed at ten pm and I had this crazy idea that the neighbours enjoyed hearing me sing along to music but I didn't want to disturb my kids. I'd open the kitchen windows and put the stereo speakers facing outwards then stand in the back garden and give it the big licks. I actually believed that this made me considerate.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If I wasn't so drunk and lazy, I wanted to put a hole in the floor like bars have so bottles could chute down into a trash bin in the basement. Too many empties piling up!
Old 11-12-2012, 03:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Pool filters were an efficient and discreet way to keep my beverage cold.
Old 11-12-2012, 04:39 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

The list of insane things I did as an active alcoholic/addict is absurd. Even years in, things continue to bubble up and I think, "How on earth could I have done that? What was I thinking?" My thinking and my actions were way out there. They put my life in danger, the lives of others in danger, and they rang up an enormous bill that I paid for later in anger, guilt and shame. Then those resentments had the power to destroy me too. I feel very blessed to have found a way out, with ways of cleaning up the wreckage of the past.

But for me the heart of the insanity of alcoholism does not begin with those stories.

The most insane thing I ever did as an alcoholic was to take another drink/drug, stone cold sober.
Old 11-12-2012, 12:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KnowHope View Post
The list of insane things I did as an active alcoholic/addict is absurd. Even years in, things continue to bubble up and I think, "How on earth could I have done that? What was I thinking?" My thinking and my actions were way out there. They put my life in danger, the lives of others in danger, and they rang up an enormous bill that I paid for later in anger, guilt and shame. Then those resentments had the power to destroy me too. I feel very blessed to have found a way out, with ways of cleaning up the wreckage of the past.

But for me the heart of the insanity of alcoholism does not begin with those stories.

The most insane thing I ever did as an alcoholic was to take another drink/drug, stone cold sober.
I appreciate the sentiment, but this thread was supposed to be humorous.

Sometimes you gotta laugh. I believe its therapeutic.
Old 11-12-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Learned pretty quickly that it's not a good idea to sell margaritas in your backyard to golfers even if you live on a golf course. The golf cart chick did not take kindly to this and I spent the whole afternoon trying to talk (while spitting of course) myself out of it. The "plan" was so foolproof too! ha
Old 11-13-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I was sure all my friends were spying on me. so I took a bus, to a tram, to another tram, to a subway, just to get a double Stoly and 7 at Union Station in downtown LA (about a 50 mile round trip) man, that bartender pours very nice.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

The most insane thing I did:
Got out of my car in a random parking lot (my husband was driving & two friends in the back), ran full speed into my car about three or four times before rolling across the parking lot with my butt crack showing (unintentionally of course).
Old 11-15-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
If I needed to go to a supermarket to get more wine, I used to chew some ground coffee to "hide" smell of wine I drank before)
Old 11-15-2012, 07:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hiding a bottle in your purse without screwing the cap on properly. It's like carrying a whiskey scented air freshner around.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

LOL! Haha, sounds kinda falmiliar.