Notices

Wondering if I have a problem

Old 11-04-2012, 07:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wondering if I have a problem

Hi there, first post here

so obviously I think I could have a problem with alcohol or else I wouldn't be here. I don't drink every day, but when I do I go balls to the wall or have a problem stopping most of the time. But it depends on my situation and surroundings. One day I'm fine stopping after two beers, but the next day I'm finding myself sneaking off to go to the bathroom but really going to do shots at the bar. I also suffer from a pretty bad depression. Do you think I should check out an AA meeting? thanks for the advice and support.... took awhile for me to even ask myself if I had a problem
Old 11-04-2012, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome!! and very good you see you could have a problem.

i would suggest doin a google search for "big book online" and reading it. it is the text of AA and iffen ya can relate to what is in there, it just may be a great solution for ya.
been workin good for me for a few years now.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Groovy Dancer

Welcome to SR. Feel free to ask as many questions as you'd like. There are a lot of experiences / opinions here.

From what you wrote, it sounds like you think you may have a problem with alcohol. If you think you do, then its worth looking into getting assistance.

An AA meeting sounds like a great idea. There are also other options others will probably write about.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TiG

Took me a while to ask the question too, and it's taken a few months for me to gradually understand my own drinking and where I was headed with it. Drinking is progressive and although I was fine for a number of years, it took a rapid tun for the worse. Quitting was hard and my mind was playing all sorts of tricks to get me to drink again. I'm at the point where I finally accepted that one drink will lead me into a binge and I'll have to quit all over again. This realization didn't come over night for me, and I suspect your own understanding won't develop overnight either. Try being sober for 30, 60 or 90 days and see what you go through. If your life revolves around getting drunk, you'll discover it being sober, but not while you're drinking.
Old 11-04-2012, 07:54 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome whosoliver, I like TodayisGood's idea. But also consider that if alcohol is causing you problems then you probaly have a problem with alcohol whether you are addicted or not. But you are really smart to check it out.
Old 11-05-2012, 05:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

Yeah, I guess you already know this, but sneaking off to do shots by yourself is not normal drinking.

As far as what to do about this, my suggestion is that you look into, and try, several things. AA is one, of course, but there are other programs (SMART Recovery for example) and approaches (AVRT). Most people have a book or two they find helpful. And some SR folks just use SR! It's up to you. Here's a link to get you started: http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...formation.html

First and foremost though, IMHO, regardless of what approach you take, is to make up your mind to quit, no matter what.
Old 11-05-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If you here and asking, you might have a problem--Look for a open AA meeting and stop by and see if you can relate----what do you have to lose???
Old 11-05-2012, 08:37 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

If alcohol interferes with your life you have an alcohol problem. I never tell anyone they are an alcoholic, that is an individual determination; however the statement above is pretty simple.
Best wishes whichever way you go.
Jon
Old 11-05-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Whosoliver

It might be worth having a chat with your doctor along with checking out some recovery programs too, especially if you think you have depression. Stopping drinking is one thing, and is really helpful to anyone with depression and anxiety issues, but dealing with the aftermath is another. It helps to get plenty of support.

Glad you're here x