Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

alcohol withdrawal possibly exacerbated by SSRIs- available drugs and/or detox?

Notices

alcohol withdrawal possibly exacerbated by SSRIs- available drugs and/or detox?

Old 11-02-2012, 04:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs down alcohol withdrawal possibly exacerbated by SSRIs- available drugs and/or detox?

I've just joined b/c I'm going through a physical crisis that is new and very strange to me. I've always been a social drinker and have also binged on some weekends at parties etc, but have ALWAYS rebounded just fine, keeping up work, gym routine, mental health etc. However about 6 months ago back to back family tragedies led me to drinking every night to forget, relax, fall asleep. The Dr gave me SSRIs which I reacted horribly to, and have recently stopped. Now it seems I have AWS - horrible sweats, shakes, vomiting every morning. I am very scared I need detox - but can't take time off work (nor can afford rehab.) Is it possible to just ask a doctor for Lithium/Valium and detox at home? My psychiatrist wouldn't px anything - just said "quit drinking" but the withdrawal and namely the insomnia, whether due to alcohol or to combo w stopping SSRIs, is way too painful. Any advice really appreciated
Old 11-02-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We cannot give you medical advice, read the stickys.
Call your pcp and tell them your symptoms.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:33 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Make an appointment with a doctor and tell them everying. We are here for your support.

Keep in mind that you will lose that job if you continue to drink. I did.
Old 11-02-2012, 04:59 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

SSRI withdrawl is hell on it's own.

If you feel your dr isn't "hearing" you, and that is NOT the same as your doctor not saying what you want to hear...make an appointment with a new dr.

You may even be able to find one in your area that "specializes" in addiction issues. Read their websites etc, sometimes it's listed.

Getting clean and living clean isn't easy, but adding the wrong mix of chemicals to the stew can make it even harder. Playing dr ourselves, or having other's play dr for us is NOT the way to go.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:07 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Alcohol and antidepressants cancel each other out too.

I took them together for a long time and it DID NOT work.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had a TERRIBLE experience on SSRIs, and another terrible experience withdrawing from lyrica, both of which contributed to me drinking again. All I can say is what helped me the absolute most was a better diet, good quality supplements to repair the damage done to my body, and in particular lithium orotate. Lithium orotate is NOT a drug...it is a natural mineral salt. Lithium carbonate is a drug. Do some research on lithium orotate....i swear by it and it is very safe with NO side effects. In the US you can find it in health food stores or online.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:19 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Travelchick - welcome

Like others have said it's best to see your doctor - none of us here is capable of diagnosing what the problem might be over the internet.

If it is an SSRI problem you'll definitely want professional input.

Also, none of us is capable of prescribing solutions for you.
Treatments or supplements that have worked for others may not work for you, or may even be dangerous...

even the most natural supplements can be dangerous for some people, which is why I always recommend people see a Dr before starting any new treatments or supplements.

Our members are reminded of our medical advice rule

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.

Please do not ask for, or give out medical advice.

thanks
D
Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
~sb

Have you told your doctor you are no longer on the SSRI's?? AND that you are detoxing from alcohol? Sounds like some good honest communication with your doctor is in order!
Old 11-02-2012, 05:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Like you, I had a horrible experience with SSRIs, primarily because I combined them with alcohol. The combination worked against each other and resulted in horrible withdrawal symptoms, namely anxiety. I've been off both now for 10 months. No anxiety, and the other symptoms that I had are completely gone.
Old 11-02-2012, 05:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR beatle

D
Old 11-03-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

travelchick...sorry to know you hadd recent family tragedies ..

The key word I got from your post was "possible"
tho research is on going about alcoholism..thankflly
as far as I know there is no definite accurate answer .

For instance I'm an alcoholic who took no drugs during my
3 day withdrawal period. had no idea how risky this could be.
I did take off work for a week..but could have gone backsooner.

Instead of checking out treatment centers Iconnected to AA and there
I've remained...

Welcome to our recovery community..
Old 11-03-2012, 12:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

beatle...Welcome...good to know you are here and moving forward..: