Notices

Could use some help/advice

Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Could use some help/advice

I'm trying to be sober, I've tried and failed many times. Any advice on how to stay sober.. I seriously want to, its just so hard
Old 10-31-2012, 02:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Skatewitassion

What have you tried in the past?

To stay sober I had to make quite a few changes in my life...

not only basic stuff like who I hung around with, & where we hung out, but also finding sober support...and really committing myself daily to not drinking.

it's not easy but it's not impossible either - if you really want to change

you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 10-31-2012, 02:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Staying sober is easy....you just don't take the 1st drink. Nothing to it. End of story.

Staying sober while dealing with the reasons you drink in the 1st place, takes a little more effort. Going to meetings helps...for me....it was/is absolutely nessesary. Getting into treatment helps a lot of folks as well, although, probably not everyone.

There really is a great life on the other side for anyone/everyone willing to do whatever it takes. Although it sometimes seems hard, the alternative is much harder.

All the best.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have tried countless times to moderate and stop drinking all together, I am just over 3 months sober atm and doing pretty good. I had to stop hanging around with lots of my 'so called' mates and basically make it my number 1 priority!!

I can't stop drinking once I start and I have lost my marriage, house cars, jobs and all the rest and i'm only 31. I find meetings the best way to remain sober and meet new friends who are sober also.

Good Luck
Old 10-31-2012, 03:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

I accepted spiritual help from AA. At the end of my drinking I had crossed a line, I was beyond human aid. Not only could I not control my drinking, but I couldn't not drink. Counselling and treament of a sort were not able to provide me with a permanent protection against that strange mental blank spot where, in my case, not only could I not bring to mind all the reasons why I shouldn't drink, I didn't even remember that only that morning I had sworn off for good. There was no thought at all before the first drink, but maybe after the third or forth, I would suddenly wonder how I got started again, but now the alcohol was in charge and I would do whatever it said until I dropped. It was about control and choice and I had lost both as far as alcohol is concerned.
I went to AA and was shown a new way to live and began to try to live by what I was taught. As a result the problem was removed and I haven't had to drink since.
Old 10-31-2012, 01:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

Skate, SR has lots of resources, read the blogs and stories. I also read the Big Book, learnt about AVRT, and did some work with the SMART tools. Having said that it is an addiction, the early stages of sobriety can be either challenging or unpleasant. Soon enough though being sober is a glorious way to live, despite my predictions it would be boring ad hard.

Alcohol had poisoned my mind , it took a while to get over that.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

welcome,skate. i am also one who tried many times on my own and just couldnt do it. willpower was not enough for me. i went to AA, got the Big Bokk, found out it was written about me, had a solution i liked, and started using the suggestions and following in the footsteps of the ones that went before me in AA. working the program of AA took this hopeless,helpless, useless, worhtless drunk and turned me into a sober, productive member of society. life has taken on new meaning and i am happy, jouyous, and free, free fromt he bondage of alcohol.
Old 10-31-2012, 02:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I made the decision that I just don't drink. That is the end of the story for me. There is no willpower involved. I just dont drink no matter what.
Old 10-31-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I connected to AA in order to quit and enjoy a
non drinking future. Works really great for me...

Please do keep posting...we are here to support you
Welcome to our recovery community...