Notices

Antabuse - rash reaction

Old 10-30-2012, 01:34 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Antabuse - rash reaction

Hi I have been taking antabuse for a month and recently stopped. Two and a half days after taking the last tablet i experimented and had a beer to see what would happen.

I did not get any of the nausea or vomiting. I did notice flushing and felt hot. What did shock me was when I looked in the mirror. My face shoulders, chest and back had erupted in a a nasty rash. It looked really bad. My eyes were also blood shot.

Has anyone else had this? I have done searches and can't find anywhere that refers to this as a symptom.
Old 10-30-2012, 02:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Chuck

prescribed medications usually come with a little leaflet.
You can Google for info too.

I also believe the instructions say you should not drink alcohol for one week after stopping the medicine, as the reaction may still occur in this time.

You can drink, or take antabuse - it's your call, but it's really dangerous to do both.

D
Old 10-30-2012, 05:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I believe the half-life of antabuse (how long it sticks around in your system for) can be anywhere up to 13 days.

I second what Dee said, too-please be careful!

I'm just curious as to whether your Dr spoke to you in-depth regarding the serious risks involved in taking it and drinking before you commenced the med?
Old 10-30-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

I had the exact same reaction with Antabuse. It's been awhile, but I may have even taken it the same day that I drank. In any case, I had no other symptoms besides turning red and getting a rash. Didn't take long for my husband to figure out that I was still drinking while taking the drug, despite the original belief that I would be sick as a dog. I know, pot/kettle, but it's best not to experiment with this stuff. It can be dangerous.
Old 08-21-2014, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Chuck..... yes, this happened to me, arms chest and neck. I had not taken any pills for 7 days or so, an started drinking quite heavily. I got very sick indeed and had to go into detox. Disulfiram is the ultimate deterrant for me, never again will I play with fire. I love the security this daily pill affords me, I am happy and sane now. I hope you stay safe and well.