Notices

Today is Day 1 - wish me luck!

Old 10-22-2012, 10:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Today is Day 1 - wish me luck!

Today is the day. I ordered a couple of books and downloaded some samples of others. I have the Big Book(is that what you call it?) although I found it dated and lost interest when I last tried to use it.

I'm not ready to go to a meeting yet. I have considered calling a friend who is well over a year sober but she was able to go to a treatment centre so not sure how helpful she would be for me as a resource. Thoughts?

I am also not sure about sharing with a couple of other close girlfriends as a method of commitment (somehow I feel like I need to say it out loud to someone so I feel accountable). Again...thoughts?

Here I go.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm so glad you came back on today.

If you have a sober friend, regardless of how she got sober, she can help you. If nothing else, she can share how she stayed away from drinking early on.

Look into the on line AA meetings. Here is a link -http://www.aaonline.net/ if you think that may help and you want to go the AA route (I did, and found it saved my life)

As for sharing with your friends, if you think it will help, then do so. If you think it may put pressure on you, then don't. Realize that those without an addiction don't really get us. They don't understand why we can't just cut back. I'd hate to see you go through that reaction so early on.

ANd keep posting on here. Have a plan for when you feel like drinking - whether it be to come on line, watch TV, or so something (maybe go for a trail run, from your name??)

We're here for you so keep coming back.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Good luck! I'm sure you will do fine. Specially if you are really decided and tired of drinking and the mess it brings in your life then it's kind of "easy"

all the best
Old 10-22-2012, 01:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailrunrbyday View Post
Today is the day. I ordered a couple of books and downloaded some samples of others. I have the Big Book(is that what you call it?) although I found it dated and lost interest when I last tried to use it.

I'm not ready to go to a meeting yet. I have considered calling a friend who is well over a year sober but she was able to go to a treatment centre so not sure how helpful she would be for me as a resource. Thoughts?

I am also not sure about sharing with a couple of other close girlfriends as a method of commitment (somehow I feel like I need to say it out loud to someone so I feel accountable). Again...thoughts?

Here I go.
Welcome. Not everyone goes to meeting, ever, or right away. I think calling your friend is a terrific idea. If nothing else, you gain accountability.

I didn't go to treatment to stop drinking. IMO opinion, treatment accomplishes something that is challenging to do on your own and that's maintain abstinence by physically separating you from drugs/drinking. They provide a safe environment where you can learn how to deal with yourself as a sober individual.

I did go to a meeting on my 1st day of "sobriety", while undergoing an ambulatory medical detox.

Some people find 12 step programs helpful and others don't. For me, I find the fellowship of 12 step programs adds a layer of accountability that helps me stay sober. I also like the structure of the 12 step programs. In my case, I need those 12 steps so that my thinking doesn't lead me to drinking.

The Big Book is written in a way that dates it and it can be difficult to read. Try reading the stories (which aren't as dated) in the back to see if you can relate.

I'm in AA, but I'm not a Big Book thumper. AA, sponsorship, working the 12 steps of AA, and supportive friendships in AA have helped me recover from alcoholism. That's me.

There are many 12 step programs and many ways to get and stay sober. You'll find what you're looking for if you stick around these boards and positive influences.
Old 10-22-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

as a side note....my friend with the year sober is not a super close friend - she has no idea I struggle with this. Or so I think LOL. The whole town likely knows it.
Thanks for your input!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:15 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Here you go! I wish you luck! You're not alone!

One day, one minute, and at times, one second at a time!

My thoughts on both of your concerns? Do or share what feels comfortable.

Eventually you will come to your own decision about attending a meeting (if ever). In my personal experience, they help me and provide several resources. Others have their own experiences.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2012, 09:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes

D
Old 10-22-2012, 09:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

All the best and enjoy your new self induced freedom.
Old 10-22-2012, 09:44 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Some early-days things that helped me:
Trying to stay mindful of what made me make up my mind to quit
Breathing deeply and slowly when the cravings hit
Avoiding situations where it was my habit to drink, or substituting other habits
Marking a big black cross on the calendar for each sober day (a couple of gaps at the beginning, but continuous for 28 weeks now)
Talking to my doctor about heavy drinking and getting him to tell what long term drinkers are like

I'm sure you have your own fears and motivations. I found a lot of support and inspiration and amazingly sensible advice on this web site. Go well!
Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I didn't make it. Not a regular nightly bender but had the little bit that was still in the house. Tempted to drive down to gather more but I told a friend (sober for 40 years) and he came up and kept me company/talked me through the night and helped me with a plan for tomorrow. I'm sorry everyone.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

No need to be sorry.
Tomorrow is a new day and a new beginning.

Go for it....

Good Luck

D.D.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

We are not saints.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by trailrunrbyday View Post
I didn't make it. Not a regular nightly bender but had the little bit that was still in the house. Tempted to drive down to gather more but I told a friend (sober for 40 years) and he came up and kept me company/talked me through the night and helped me with a plan for tomorrow. I'm sorry everyone.
Don't apologise.
It's hard, really hard.
You should use your friend for support and guidance.
Try stick to your plan.
Old 10-23-2012, 02:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

So start fresh today. Did you get rid of the wine? No need to keep temptation around
Old 10-23-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

not keeping the booze in the house is a good way to start. reaching out for support last night was very smart too....

so you did the trial run and today is a fresh day...You will love all your future Tuesdays when you are sober. good luck and keep posting.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Your little slip might be a blessing. Many of us have had them and they just serve to let us know our true condition.
You have a wonderful new way of life ahead of you, if you choose to embark on it. There are many standing ready to help.

All the best.
Old 10-23-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I had a bottle of wine here that was from an event two nights ago. It was my girlfriend's and I told her I would drop it off yesterday to her. That WAS my plan to be honest and I didn't. It wasn't enough to "do the job" so I thought I could avoid it and I was very wrong. I won't keep a drop in the house and my husband is going to help me in every way he can (has said he has no problem not bringing any into the house etc). I have also contacted my employer to ask for details about our Employee Assistance Program (it is a pool of resources, support materials and access to counsellors etc free through the company....fortunate to work for a huge employer that way) My husband's work has an EAP I can access too. I think if I gather strength and a plan from all places I can do this.

Thanks again. I will need this place too.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome back. I stumbled a lot when I was 1st trying to get sober, but I kept trying. Day 2 was easier than day 1, day 3 was easier than day 2, etc.

Just keep coming back and keep trying.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

It gets easier - that's a fact!

Just hang in through these very tough times and you will be very glad you did!!
Old 10-23-2012, 10:27 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

have added a friend who has gone through this to my team. She embraced me(she is amazing) and has helped me find a meeting to attend tonight.... I'm very nervous and excited.