Notices

every one is doing it

Old 10-17-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Galatians 5:13

Thumbs up every one is doing it

Is it just me, but does sobriety seem like the "in" thing lately? I don't just mean in Hollywood or for celebrities. It seems like quitting is the thing to do now - almost like a movement.

I know people who are newly sober tend to think they are the only one, but it honestly doesn't seem like that to me (started my 7th week this week).

Anyone else sense this?

----
Old 10-17-2012, 06:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Its interesting you say that. Lately I've been noticing the same thing. I've found many of my friends don't drink, and if they do, it is usually heavy drinking.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

You might be right, Tammy. Maybe it's the circle of company you keep, maybe the media you select like the idea. Or maybe it's just like all the cars you suddenly see that are like the one you just got - confirmation bias?

I like to think it is one way that our brain uses to congratulate itself when it does something right. We feel reassured to see the good things we do when they appear in others. You are finally doing something to help, Brain! Thanks.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by tammy711 View Post
Anyone else sense this?
I have noticed that more people are pro-temperance these days. IMO it is due to the following;

1. Mixing pills and booze can destroy human organs 100 times faster than booze alone. Where it used to take decades to ruin a liver with booze alone it can now be done overnight with concoctions.

2. DUI's cost thousands of dollars now instead of hundreds. 2 Dui's would pay for a new car and 3 would buy a small home.

3. Drunk/inebriated celebrities get a lot more publicity now than they did in the past.