Notices

Round two of withdrawals?

Old 10-16-2012, 04:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Round two of withdrawals?

I quit drinking on the 10th of September. I did pretty well as far as withdrawals go. I had nervousness, dizziness, lack of sleep and a general feeling of blah for a few days. I take Xanax in low doses on a daily basis so this probably helped matters, as I upped my dose during the roughest times.
I went just over a full month with no drinking and let boredom and curiosity get the best of me so I took down almost a full pint of Crown. The next day I dealt with vomiting and body aches and possible fever. The next day (yesterday) I had an almost bruised like ache down my neck and back. I am for the most part better today. However, there is still a slight ache.
Anyone have any experience like this? I understand that alcoholics are not to drink ever again and I am not sure whether or not I classify myself as an alcoholic. Either way, I decided to test this out.... Does this mean that I just drank too much after waiting for so long between drinking and not? Or do I have these types of symptoms to look forward to every time I touch the stuff?
Old 10-16-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please take the time to read this link....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

BTW mixing other drugs with alcohol is playing a dangerous game
Please talk with your doctor

Welcome back to SR......
Old 10-16-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The next day I dealt with vomiting and body aches and possible fever.

Ain't alcohol fun?

I don't know your drinking history but I can tell you that alcoholism is progressive. You can quit for 5 years, then drink again and you are quickly right back to where you were.

I learned that the hard way.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

When you quit your immune system comes back to somewhat normal.
I drank at least a 12 pack every day,but when I fell off the wagon after one of my many failed attempts at quitting. 4-6 beers would give me a hangover from hell.
I lost a friend not all that long ago from this very thing. He drank A LOT,and quit for a good spell. He fell off the wagon and did what he used to do,and it did him in.
I am in no way one to classify you. But if you are having withdrawals and taking stuff to ease them,and going back to drinking. That should be giving you something to really think about.
Fred
Old 10-17-2012, 07:10 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well I have drank daily for three years. I missed a day or two here and there, but never went a full week without drinking up to 9 beers a night. I have taken anxiety meds for years.
I quit drinking for over a month. I experienced ... nothing. I had, as I said earlier, some bad days at first. However, nothing good happened. I still feel like crap, I have lost no weight and I do not foresee a better future.
These are all things that I looked forward to experiencing. Almost as if I expected life as a non drunk to be better than the hell I was living in and the hell I was putting my family through.
My problem now sits at... Damned if I do and damned if I don't status. It appears that now when I drink it is going to be worse than it was before. Used to I would drink and feel kinda bad the next day. Start drinking in the evenings and repeat. Now I am afraid that drinking is just going to make me get sick.
I guess to explain my question better is to ask if I will ever be able to drink like normal again? Or am I doomed to every time I decide to have a few (months between the last drink) do I have this type of sickness to look forward to? Is my body screwed up from the past few years of drinking?
Old 10-18-2012, 03:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by jacee View Post
... Does this mean that I just drank too much after waiting for so long between drinking and not? Or do I have these types of symptoms to look forward to every time I touch the stuff?
I to tried drinking again after abstaining for a few weeks... dozens of times. What I ended up experiencing was progressive DT's.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Isn't it just insane to be speculating?
how sick am i going to make myself?
how can i prevent feeling sick after 12 drinks i pour down my throat?
who asks these kind of questions besides alcoholics?
Old 10-18-2012, 04:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

staying sober for an extended period of time and then putting back a fifth is going to put your body through a type of shock. your body is no longer used to daily drinking and you it has been shocked by alkohol.

=wicked hangover.

use the xanax safely.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks ya'll. Turns out I shouldn't have drank anything AT ALL. It has started all over again. The routine of drinking. I should have paid attention to the sickness. Now here I am drinking and going through the paces again. Hiding it and staying away from people.
Old 10-22-2012, 10:50 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hate to tell you this but getting off Xanax is a worse nightmare than booze. Be careful.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Do you think you are drinking "normally" now , whatever normal drinking is? I view normal as a setting on an appliance. Social drinkers worry about a small hangover after occasionally having a bit more than their tolerance not withdrawals from draining a pint or more from what I have heard.

Myself , I have quit chasing the imaginary dream I will drink socially ever again but I am an alcoholic. My only choice is abstinence.

Downing a pint of whiskey on meds sounds pretty dangerous to me. Like other said , see your doctor.

Originally Posted by jacee View Post
I guess to explain my question better is to ask if I will ever be able to drink like normal again? Or am I doomed to every time I decide to have a few (months between the last drink) do I have this type of sickness to look forward to? Is my body screwed up from the past few years of drinking?