Notices

doing alright

Old 10-24-2012, 03:29 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

doing alright

I've been 4 days (couldn't help counting) without a drink and had no cravings....

I can see myself never drinking again, it was never worth the hassle anyway.

Only problem is my mood gets really low every evening at about 7 or 8 o'clock.

I am in a bit of a rut in life........no job, no friends/woman,very little money, so it's natural I will get fed up a lot of the time.

Blah blah blah....just getting some thoughts off my chest
Old 10-24-2012, 03:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi vivid - I sometimes felt like that too...but I always went back...because recovery was not just simply switching off something in my head....

I needed to make changes in my life as well, because it was a life built around alcohol, and I needed to find support because my brain was used to going to the same old places.

Most of us can do alright for a few days or a week, but I think we need to bump it up a gear to make it a permanent change.

I really hope you'll look for ways to change your life and to find support, vivid.

Best of luck

D
Old 10-24-2012, 03:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Dee,

I did investigate AVRT and I can say without doubt I have made my big plan, but I suppose
it's a matter of working on other areas of my life now, not just trying to abstain from alcohol. I know I am the only person who can take control of my existence.

I know keeping busy always helps fight low moods....
Old 10-24-2012, 04:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That being said, AVRT is to me just another way of using psychology to beat addiction.....

I find more strength in looking at bad times of my alcohol use as a deterrent.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by vivid-red View Post

Only problem is my mood gets really low every evening at about 7 or 8 o'clock.

I am in a bit of a rut in life........no job, no friends/woman,very little money, so it's natural I will get fed up a lot of the time.
Abstinence is not drinking and feeling bad about it.

Recovery is not drinking and feeling good about it.

It is no coincidence that you are feeling bad in the 7 - 8 PM time frame. That is when most of us started to drink. Why? To stop worrying about life's problems and feel good.

I used to use booze to feel good about not dealing with life.

Now I use life to feel good about not dealing with booze.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

So glad to hear that you have turned that corner, Vivid, there really is no looking back. You say that AVRT is a way of using psychology to help you make the right choices. I guess it's true, its thinking our way into a new way of being, but that goes for everyone who is no longer addicted, who has made a sea change in their life.

I think that AVRT is a particular example of being mindful and present. I didn't really understand what those things meant until I latched onto AVRT. I did some reading (I suggest Tolle/The New Earth), and it fits right into this idea of becoming the observer of our thoughts. This idea frees us from getting wrapped up in them and believing that we must act on them.

If we can do that, then we are free to be what we choose to be. The options are unlimited.
Old 10-24-2012, 06:41 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

4 days Vivid!! No job/friends/women....I think this is a great time for a trip to the library. That might sound ridiculous but maybe finding some places to stroll around and perhaps a coffee shop that you enjoy to peruse books on subjects that catch your eye as you stroll the aisles. You might suddenly find something that helps you enjoy your days....carving, cooking, poetry...who knows.

Just a suggestion. I just thought of what I might do today if I had nothing else TO do.