Notices

Do you call yourself an alcoholic?

Old 10-22-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

@ Bubba: I'm only at 9 days sober and I think that label is what's keeping me from actually attending AA. I'm also very private. I know I'm an alcoholic but to say it makes me feel like a failure. On the outside everyone sees a strong person. However, I know the truth and can't escape the fact that I'm not one of those people who can just have 1 cocktail. It is a hard title to swallow.

@ Hexipuff: LOL, I decided a few days ago that I'm not obligated to notify the world that I'm alcoholic - I've declared it to God. I think it will take me some time to tell other people.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

I say I am an alcoholic because I am. To downplay my condition would be denial. Its on my chart at my doctors office and permanently at the hospital. Hopefully you are not at this point.
Old 10-23-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  
Trying to Enjoy Life Now

Nope, just 'don't drink'
Old 10-24-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Never.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:04 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

I look at this from a totally different perspective. For me, I work out 4-5 times per week and I take care of my body. I am PROUD to be an alcoholic that is in recovery because not drinking aids my physical and mental fitness. I am also the most reliable designated driver you will ever see!

Dave
Old 10-25-2012, 02:32 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

i can so relate- its a bad choice that we make- not a diease feel. a very very bad choice. It comes down to self love. If we loved our self from day one we would not of chose to drink this nasty stuff to cover up for what we feel we lack. Love yourself and the world is so different.(Im always learning) A great read by Wayne Dyer called Spirit Solutions to Every problem- check it out-
Old 10-25-2012, 02:47 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

I don't drink, I'm allergic to alcohol, that's all people need to know.

I'll tell people here, or in a meeting but other than that it's no-one's business but mine! Go with what ever you feel comfortable with, whatever's best for you. We're all different, different courses for different horses etc etc.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:26 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

I guess for me it depends. If I am in AA I absolutely call myself an alcoholic. Outside the rooms is a bit different. To my close friends I do since they are the ones who helped to save my life. To my children I do since their lives have been so affected by my drinking. Most importantly to myself I call myself an alcoholic. To everyone else nope they don't need to know.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Everyone else called me an alcoholic, so I do, too.

I refer to myself as a recovering alcoholic to the general public and as a grateful one to "us".