Notices

Is anyone else missing parts of their memory?

Old 10-12-2012, 11:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is anyone else missing parts of their memory?

I am sitting here randomly thinking about a job I had a few years back when I was starting to become an alcoholic. Long story short I used to have panic attacks there and realized I can't even remember where the bathroom was. I used to run there all the time. I am also losing memory of roads where I live and such. I was recently sober for two months. I look at photos and don't remember taking them while sober.

I'm starting to become worried. I am 31. Help?
Old 10-13-2012, 12:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Behindblueyes, that really sounds like something worth talking to a doctor about. A neurologist could test you and figure out if there's anything out of the ordinary. There are drugs that can help with that type of thing.
Old 10-13-2012, 01:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Yes, I have it exactly as you describe. Yesterday I realized I had forgotten an entire town. I see movies and in a few weeks don't remember much about the plot and can enjoy them again as if they were new. More and more memories seems to slip away, but I sort of like it.
Old 10-13-2012, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Guilty as charged.

Still do it in sobriety. Got concerned and saw my Doctor, then referred to a Psychologist. Verdict- Adult ADD. Masked for years by alcohol and drug abuse.

Now that I have a diagnosis, I am able to do something about it.

Check with your Dr. Could be one of many things.
Best Wishes,
Zube
Old 10-14-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know, my memory is terrible for certain things. I seem to recall a lot coming back months down the road, but there is post acute withdrawal syndrome, which can do a lot of this stuff too.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

My memory loss was mostly blackouts now I remember things I don't want to but checking with a professional is always good unless you forget the meeting which I have done.
Old 10-15-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I figure there are 2 reasons my memory is full of holes...

My age...76 and the fact I was a blackout drinker for years.

I've long since quit worrying about things I don't remember
Old 10-16-2012, 01:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I can relate to this, my short term memory is horrible. It however does seem to be getting better. Long term memory has been difficult as well. Many years of my life seem to be one big jumbled blur. Even recalling events prior to my drinking days, this should probably be brought up with a doctor. I never thought much of it until now.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

A lot of things got better when I got sober, my memory was not one of them. The longer I am sober the less important memory has become since I do not have to try to keep all my lies straight. Don't get me wrong I still have stuff come up from time to time that needs to be written down and dealt with thru the amends process.

Not remembering my next door neighbors name when I was 5 is really not that important in the scheme of things today--how important is it really??

Today I am of the opinion that if I can't remember it it probably is not that important. If it is important I will have written it down so I can remember at some time in the future.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

From about 1996 to September 2012
Old 10-16-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

when i got into recovery, to help me see a lot of what made me tick, i started writing down my life story. there was a period from about 1996-2000 i drank every day. when i got to that part while writing, there wasnt much i could remember.
as time as gone on, some of that has come back. the rest i dont care about. i gotta lotta stuff to learn today that i'll forget tomorrow.
Old 10-16-2012, 04:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

A bit of the same here. I think it's just that our brains need to rebalance it's checimals.
20 years feeding it alchool, it must be used to processing things under the influence.
Old 10-16-2012, 06:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

I'm sorry, what was the question?
Old 10-16-2012, 07:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dan dare View Post
i'm sorry, what was the question?
lol!
Old 10-16-2012, 07:11 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Yes. My short term memory is horrible...actually slow. I can remember things, it just takes a lot of work on my part or just go pull out the book/computer for reference to remember.

I used to have an awesome memory. I'm only 34 so I find it hard to believe my age is already kicking in. I wonder if I messed up my brain permanently from the things I did or if I was destined to end up this way. Either way, I have to deal with it as it is.
Old 10-16-2012, 10:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sally1009

If you have been, or are taking sleeping tablets, or benzos of any kind, they can cause terrible memory problems, even amnesia. I speak from bitter experience!
Old 10-16-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sally1009 View Post
If you have been, or are taking sleeping tablets, or benzos of any kind, they can cause terrible memory problems, even amnesia. I speak from bitter experience!
I used to but now I just take melatonin. The bad thing was when I was drinking, I'd drink and take the sleeping pills or sedatives. I'm sure that didn't help me much in the memory department. I don't know what kind of damage I did by doing that though. Hopefully it might repair itself over time. :-\
Old 10-16-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

My problem is remembering more and more, things I would rather forget.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:39 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Pure Radio Rental

Originally Posted by Sally1009 View Post
Does that include Tylenol PM?
I take that sometimes.
Old 10-16-2012, 05:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Thank you all. Very helpful info! I got scared when I had to drive three miles down to a new apartment a friend had moved into and even though I have lived here my entire life - could not figure out how to get there. I had to pull over. I kept thinking if a cop had seen me on the side of the road what would my excuse have been? I'm lost three miles from my home and have lived here forever lol.