Notices

42 days and hope for those on 1st day

Old 10-09-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

42 days and hope for those on 1st day

42 days today! I know it is a very short time but my life is coming back!
I had my wife with me and asked her to help me through the first week. I got loads of fluids and non prescription pain killers ready etc. Juice, comfort foods, teas, duvet, dvd's and books. I was looking forward to getting better! Day one two and three are quite hard, headache, dehydration (I sipped a pint of water mixed with orange juice and a little sugar almost every hour) and horrible panicy feelings. A bit of paranoid thinking, worried about a bad detox etc. Days four, five and six were better, less headache but still a real pulse in my head. By day 9 the headache and cloud were almost gone. Day ten to twenty and you start to feel back to normal. (which I guess I hadnt felt for twenty years!)

I didnt want to drink by the end of day three as most of my drinking was to get rid of a hang over and guilt / shame. The first three days are not TOO bad if you just take a deep breath and do it. Hide under the duvet if you can!

I started healthy eating, no packaged food. Just vegetables and protien. Chicken and turkey and sometimes red meat. No frying. Salad for lunch. Scrambled Egg white and ham for breakfast. Grilled chicken and vegetables for dinner.

Walked for at least an hour each day, sometimes two hours. Started proper exercise each morning. (its amazing how much time you have when you dont drink!) Lost 20 pounds in this first 6 weeks and feel alive!

Please, Please PLEASE, if you are thinking of stopping, or have stopped before but are thinking of stopping again, take your last drink, or put your last drink down the sink, go to bed and stop. Enjoy getting free of an evil drug and get YOU back from its nasty clutches.
It is the best feeling now to be sober and a chance of happiness again. Good luck to you!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great post full of hope. Thanks, Tabasco! I am on day1 again. UGH. BUT having been sober a couple of weeks here and there over the past few years I know how good it feels just after a few days, especially when one adds the healthy eating and exercise like you have!

May I ask what else you have done? Do you attend/follow a recovery program? Just focusing on changing your habits?

Congratulations on 42 days. I hope to see you get 42 more and then some.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:44 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Lilac,

you will be on day two now, stay strong! one or two more days and you will have broken the back of it.

I read Jason Vale's book which is similar to Alan Carr's. I also youtubed a lot of recovering people, spent a lot of time on google etc. I also bought some Audible books on addiction.

Let me know how you are feeling. 7 Day one over!
Old 10-11-2012, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

tabasco....

All my best to you and your wife as you move forward
Welcome to our recovery community
Old 10-12-2012, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
formerly IMHomerSimpson

Very inspiring post,thank you very much.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on day 42 today. Its a great thing aint it?