Notices

would you reset your date?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

would you reset your date?

Hi. I've been sober for 3.5 years. A couple weeks ago, I was sick with a really bad cough - the flu. I had been up all night coughing, really needed some sleep. It was 3am and I had to get up and go to school and work (and help my kids) in the morning. Though I had some non-alcoholic Robitussin in my kitchen, I wanted something stronger because that stuff doesn't really help me. So, I took a small dose of my son's cough medicine, which is the kind with codeine. I took about 7 ml (5ml was a child's dose) and went back to bed, and slept.

However, in the morning, it bothered me. First, because it wasn't my prescription. Second, because I had non-alcoholic kind and didn't take it. Third, I didn't give too much thought to it. I just wanted to sleep and I wanted something that I KNEW would work quickly and well, so I took some.

I have considered changing my sobriety date (because it's still kind of bothering me), but that doesn't really feel right either. I mean, I took a substance to treat a condition, not to get high. I didn't over-do it, AT ALL. I'm 185 pounds and took a slightly higher dose than the one intended for a 45 pound kid. And the very next night, when my cough was less bad, I took the non-alcoholic kind and of course, haven't taken it again.

Maybe what's bothering me is that I took a potentially dangerous substance (for a drunk like me) without any thought? Maybe it's the curious mental blank spot? I mean I definitely won't do it again, and I should have just suffered through or taken the other stuff, but changing my date? That seems a little extreme.

I don't know. What would you do?
Old 10-11-2012, 10:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Euphoric Recaller

I'm an AA person so.......I'd call my sponsor. Then I'd do a 10th step..... I'm resentful at: myself, The causes: knowingly taking cough syrup with codeine in it, etc., etc. Then I'd pray about it and stuff. Then I'd do what my sponsor suggests I do.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh, yeah. Forgot to mention that. I'm in AA too. Sorry. I talked to my sponsor about it. She says "to thine own self be true." And you're right. I need to do an inventory on it. I'm getting up to do it now. Thank you very much.
Old 10-12-2012, 03:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No
Old 10-12-2012, 03:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think your intention was to treat your cough, not to get a buzz. But definitely think about how you took it without thought about it containing codeine.
We have to be super diligent about what we put in our bodies. Never know what could trigger us to wanting more of it
Old 10-12-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

No, I would definitely not. You were sick and took medicine 1 time. You are still 3.5 years sober!
My opinion.
Best,
Pam
Old 10-12-2012, 05:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

No, I wouldn't reset my date.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ask your H.P. what you should do... your answer will come. Your sponsor was right.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 10-12-2012, 06:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

No, I wouldn't reset my sober date on that experience with the cough syrup. I would take a look though on why I am bothered enough to think about resetting my date. I mean, like your saying, you could have taken an alternative. You didn't, and now you're bothered about your actions and responsibilites.

You mention the mental blankness as perhaps being a cause for your choices. I think you would do well to continue to look into yourself, and chase that down, follow it to its conclusion. Being concerned about a spoonful of cough syrup after 3.5 years of sobriety is in itself, imo, something that is troublesome, and may indicate some deeper frustrations with the quality of your sobriety.

Sometimes we just need to know a bit more about ourselves to resolve these kinds of challenges when we feel we have perhaps frigged up enough to change our sober date. Happy hunting. No worries. Take advantage of having 3.5 years, and be all that you can be for yourself!
Old 10-12-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No worries here! But yea, always approach tis kind of thing with caution.
Old 10-12-2012, 06:36 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

what was the motive behind it?
Old 10-12-2012, 06:48 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No way would I reset my date if I was you.

Clock it up to experience and give yourself a break. You took it when tired, sick and groggy and not, as said, for the buzz.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm a member of Alcoholics Anonymous not codeine anonymous.
You did not mention if alcohol was also an ingrediate

If I delibertly drank alcohol...I would re set my date
more importantly....I would be checking out why I was
chooseing to use alcohol again..

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 10-12-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Acg,

Have you started drinking cough syrup as a method of coping with life? Your sobriety date is something you set and quite frankly you are really the only one concerned with when it is. Those around you are concerned with how you as the person you are interact with them.

If you are still the same person living a sober life that you were when you took the cough syrup then it is your sobriety that makes you who you are, not when you attained it.

I have been sober 13 years on this Oct. 15th. I got and stay sober with the HELP of AA and the people in it, but my length of sober LIVING is only of importance to me, and I must admit not as big a deal as it used to be. My life and the way I live is critical to me EVERYDAY.

DON'T GET SO BUSY KEEPING SCORE THAT YOU FORGET TO PLAY THE GAME!

Just my thoughts, may not be in line with other's opinions and in fact may even not be the best you will read, but I came up with them using an unclouded mind, and that is what I strive for.

Jon
Old 10-12-2012, 07:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you guys so much. read all these responses and I find them really helpful. And I'm really going to think about why I'm so bothered by it...an inventory would probably be a good move. It's weird, I've been like obsessing about it and I can't figure out why. Like there's this feeling in me that wants to just call the whole AA thing off because of cough syrup, which I should have been more thoughtful about. But I wasn't, and now I can't let it go. Yes, I definitely need to do an inventory.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:28 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post
Acg,

Have you started drinking cough syrup as a method of coping with life? Your sobriety date is something you set and quite frankly you are really the only one concerned with when it is. Those around you are concerned with how you as the person you are interact with them.

If you are still the same person living a sober life that you were when you took the cough syrup then it is your sobriety that makes you who you are, not when you attained it.

I have been sober 13 years on this Oct. 15th. I got and stay sober with the HELP of AA and the people in it, but my length of sober LIVING is only of importance to me, and I must admit not as big a deal as it used to be. My life and the way I live is critical to me EVERYDAY.

DON'T GET SO BUSY KEEPING SCORE THAT YOU FORGET TO PLAY THE GAME!

Just my thoughts, may not be in line with other's opinions and in fact may even not be the best you will read, but I came up with them using an unclouded mind, and that is what I strive for.

Jon
Awesome post, Jon. BTW, congrats on your 13th year.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Originally Posted by acg33 View Post
Like there's this feeling in me that wants to just call the whole AA thing off...

because of cough syrup, which I should have been more thoughtful about. But I wasn't, and now I can't let it go. Yes, I definitely need to do an inventory.
Yeah, the real challenge here is discovering why you feel that way about AA, and your AA sobriety.

Have courage!

Old 10-12-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Recovered

Originally Posted by acg33 View Post
Hi. I've been sober for 3.5 years. A couple weeks ago, I was sick with a really bad cough - the flu. I had been up all night coughing, really needed some sleep. It was 3am and I had to get up and go to school and work (and help my kids) in the morning. Though I had some non-alcoholic Robitussin in my kitchen, I wanted something stronger because that stuff doesn't really help me. So, I took a small dose of my son's cough medicine, which is the kind with codeine. I took about 7 ml (5ml was a child's dose) and went back to bed, and slept.

However, in the morning, it bothered me. First, because it wasn't my prescription. Second, because I had non-alcoholic kind and didn't take it. Third, I didn't give too much thought to it. I just wanted to sleep and I wanted something that I KNEW would work quickly and well, so I took some.

I have considered changing my sobriety date (because it's still kind of bothering me), but that doesn't really feel right either. I mean, I took a substance to treat a condition, not to get high. I didn't over-do it, AT ALL. I'm 185 pounds and took a slightly higher dose than the one intended for a 45 pound kid. And the very next night, when my cough was less bad, I took the non-alcoholic kind and of course, haven't taken it again.

Maybe what's bothering me is that I took a potentially dangerous substance (for a drunk like me) without any thought? Maybe it's the curious mental blank spot? I mean I definitely won't do it again, and I should have just suffered through or taken the other stuff, but changing my date? That seems a little extreme.

I don't know. What would you do?
I would explore my motives thoroughly. I already have in place the idea that I am NEVER to take someone else's prescription medication, among other things that I have in place to keep me safe. And if I were on SR, asking others what they thought......for me that would be a red flag. I would talk to my sponsor and get his/her take.

A big IF, of course...as I would NOT take someone else's narcotic medication. If you ask enough people "if taking someone else's narcotic meds (if an alkie) or drinking wine (if a crack addict) is ok" you will get the answer you want to hear. Talking to sponsor is probably a better bet.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RobbyRobot View Post
Yeah, the real challenge here is discovering why you feel that way about AA, and your AA sobriety.

Have courage!

The truth is I've been kind of disconnected spiritually lately. I know that because everything has been irritating me and I've been a bit of a you-know-what at home. These things tell me I'm back in self-centered ego land...and after reading your responses, I think I'm understanding this whole thing a little better -- my REAL problem is that I've been an ass and don't want to face it, so I'm clinging to this idea that I should just chuck the whole thing. No mental defense! My alcoholism is using new tactics. It's trying to get me to drink by using this new angle of "well, you've already blown it, so go buy some whiskey!" I need to throw myself in the service of my family and others, take an inventory and get myself to a ton of meetings. I lack humility. I seem to think I know everything. I know that's been blocking me from being of service to God and my fellows. Thank god I've found a design for living that really works, and I don't have to run to the liquor store.

I don't know you people, but I love you. You've really helped me.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:02 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mfanch View Post
I would explore my motives thoroughly. I already have in place the idea that I am NEVER to take someone else's prescription medication, among other things that I have in place to keep me safe. And if I were on SR, asking others what they thought......for me that would be a red flag. I would talk to my sponsor and get his/her take.

A big IF, of course...as I would NOT take someone else's narcotic medication. If you ask enough people "if taking someone else's narcotic meds (if an alkie) or drinking wine (if a crack addict) is ok" you will get the answer you want to hear. Talking to sponsor is probably a better bet.

I have explored my motives thoroughly, and they were to have my cough go away and sleep. 100%. That's clear to me. I have also talked to my sponsor and she said "If you've thoroughly reviewed your motives and feel you didn't relapse, move on. To thine own self be true."

But you're right, I DO feel weird about it, and it IS weird that I'm online asking about it. I guess the bottom line is I feel lost anyway, and I'm not sure if it's BECAUSE of the cough syrup or because I'm spiritually unfit right now and just blaming the cough syrup. Not sure if that makes sense.

I need to sit down and do an inventory. I'm going to do it now.