Notices

Do I have a problem?

Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do I have a problem?

My story. I was abstaining from alcohol, drugs and tobacco from 18 to 27. Not because I had a drinking problem as a kid, I didn't, I just believed in being drug free.

I started experimenting with alcohol again last year and I have noticed some tendendies. I do not drink often. In fact I can go very long without drinking. What worries me though, is that I seem to get very drunk every time I do drink. I went to a party yesterday and got as drunk as I have never before been. Before this the last time I had any alcohol was a month ago. I didn't drink much then, because there weren't much to drink, but I got more drunk than everyone else still. I can enjoy just one or two beers and then stop drinking. But the problem is that whenever there's a party and people drink more than a few drinks, I will always get too drunk.

I have looked at my friends from college, and it seems to me that most of them actually have a drinking problem. I do not want one. Today I got invited to a social get together with old friends next friday. There will be drinking. I have to go and want to go to this event of course. But I do not want to get overly drunk. Most of all I want to go there, have a few beers like everyone else, and nothing more.

Does anyone know why I get so drunk? Is it because I went ten years withouth touching alcohol and didn't really learn how to drink responsibly? Or is it because I am a latent alcoholic? I will repeat that I do not drink often, but during the last year, I have gotten way too drunk maybe 70% of the time I was drinking, or even more.
Old 10-06-2012, 10:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi settingson

Not all of us here drank every day - some of our members were periodic drinkers.
I don't believe thats any less of a problem myself...

I always used to say though that I had no off switch like normal people...maybe it's the same for you too?

If it is, I think most of us will tell you that control is something you cannot learn...either you have control, and can stop...or you can't.

Abstinence has been the only way for me to deal with that.

I'm glad you've found us though - you'll find a lot of support here

D
Old 10-07-2012, 01:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Ive had people say im not alcoholic as the most i drink in a night is 2 bottles of wine and few beers. But i class myself as an alcoholic as i struggle to reach the end of the day without drinking.

I think for most people on here. If we have looked on search engines to find this type of forum then that says were worried about the thing were doing.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome. You do have to make the determination for yourself. Me, I don't have an off switch, or not a great one. I could drink one beer and quit, with difficulty, maybe two. But if I have a third I won't stop until all the alcohol is gone or I'm passing out. Without knowing your drinking style though I'll speculate that your drinking will likely escalate- it generally does with problem drinkers. You might be best off quitting now but that's something you have to decide.

Do keep a weather on your drinking.
Old 10-08-2012, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Anyway you look at it...getting drunk is a problem....IMO
So many dangerous things can happen...it's certainly not improveing
your life...or how others preceive you.

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...
Old 10-09-2012, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

I only drank 3-4 nights a week, and i'm an alcoholic. It's not how OFTEN you drink, but what it does to you when do you drink. I have no OFF switch. Even if I had only drank one time a month, I could still cause as much damage in my life as someone who drank every day. If you are worried, just give up the stuff. Nothing good ever comes from it.