View Single Post
Old 10-06-2012, 10:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Settingson

Do I have a problem?

My story. I was abstaining from alcohol, drugs and tobacco from 18 to 27. Not because I had a drinking problem as a kid, I didn't, I just believed in being drug free.

I started experimenting with alcohol again last year and I have noticed some tendendies. I do not drink often. In fact I can go very long without drinking. What worries me though, is that I seem to get very drunk every time I do drink. I went to a party yesterday and got as drunk as I have never before been. Before this the last time I had any alcohol was a month ago. I didn't drink much then, because there weren't much to drink, but I got more drunk than everyone else still. I can enjoy just one or two beers and then stop drinking. But the problem is that whenever there's a party and people drink more than a few drinks, I will always get too drunk.

I have looked at my friends from college, and it seems to me that most of them actually have a drinking problem. I do not want one. Today I got invited to a social get together with old friends next friday. There will be drinking. I have to go and want to go to this event of course. But I do not want to get overly drunk. Most of all I want to go there, have a few beers like everyone else, and nothing more.

Does anyone know why I get so drunk? Is it because I went ten years withouth touching alcohol and didn't really learn how to drink responsibly? Or is it because I am a latent alcoholic? I will repeat that I do not drink often, but during the last year, I have gotten way too drunk maybe 70% of the time I was drinking, or even more.