Notices

Question about tapering, withdrawals, etc

Old 10-05-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Question about tapering, withdrawals, etc

Hey, y'all. New here and I have some questions.

First some background that might help with the answers. I'm 36 years old and I've had a drinking problem since I was somewhere around 21. I drink every day, something like 15 on the days I work and more like 20 or so on the days I don't work because I start earlier.

Most of the time I have only mild withdrawal symptoms, like the ever-present insomnia followed by a hangover. But recently I've started to experience profuse sweating in the morning and shaking hands. I wouldn't call the shakes violent, but enough to have a hard time using a pen.

I also have slightly elevated blood pressure and I'm about 30 pounds overweight because of the drinking, so from what I've read online (at length) it may not be safe for me to just go cold turkey. That knowledge, gained a few months ago, of course only fueled the addiction further.

Also, medical treatment is not an option because I currently don't have health insurance and can't afford to see a doctor.

So, I've decided to taper off using beer and a bunch of vitamins. Apparently this can be a pretty effective method. Obviously there's a danger of not making any progress, but honestly, I'm pretty freaking committed to getting through this right now, as in I've even told my employer what's going on.

So, if anyone has used this method, how did you do it? From what I've read, it can be done in 2 or 3 days using beer only as much as needed to keep the shakes and such away and you need a schedule and all that. Would I be on the right track with something like a 12 to 9 to 6 to 0 plan based on how much I've been drinking?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Tapering will help with the worst symptoms, but eventually you will still feel like crap. I found it prolonged the time it took until I felt better.
Of course it depends on the level of your alcohol addiction.
In my case I grew weary of feeling bad, and would start back drinking to feel better at around 5 or 6 days after my last drink. Every drink just feeds the beast, and it is never easy for an alcoholic to get detoxed on his own.
If you make a 30 day plan, where you will go one measly month after the last sip (including tapering) it seemed to make me want to get it over with, and easier to stop with the booze all together instead of prolonging the fight.
Good luck and hope you will see the benefits of living sober outweigh the pleasures of hangovers and thinking drinking is fun.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The rules of the forum are not to give medical advice, and because alcohol withdrawal can have complications which lead to death, the most prudent advice would be to consult with a professional on this.

Between the amount that you are currently drinking and your withdrawal symptoms (from regular drinking or deliberate attempt to get sober???) indicate that some medical oversight is needed in helping you plan and execute your detox.

Here's some links that might be helpful:

http://www.choosehelp.com/texas/free...alcohol-rehabs

Busy web page, but scroll down and look in the center of the page for a listing of facilities:

Austin, Texas - Drug Rehab Centers With Sliding Scale Fees

Congrats on your decision; make sure you do it safely.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnotherPaul View Post
Hey, y'all. New here and I have some questions.

First some background that might help with the answers. I'm 36 years old and I've had a drinking problem since I was somewhere around 21. I drink every day, something like 15 on the days I work and more like 20 or so on the days I don't work because I start earlier.

Most of the time I have only mild withdrawal symptoms, like the ever-present insomnia followed by a hangover. But recently I've started to experience profuse sweating in the morning and shaking hands. I wouldn't call the shakes violent, but enough to have a hard time using a pen.

I also have slightly elevated blood pressure and I'm about 30 pounds overweight because of the drinking, so from what I've read online (at length) it may not be safe for me to just go cold turkey. That knowledge, gained a few months ago, of course only fueled the addiction further.

Also, medical treatment is not an option because I currently don't have health insurance and can't afford to see a doctor.

So, I've decided to taper off using beer and a bunch of vitamins. Apparently this can be a pretty effective method. Obviously there's a danger of not making any progress, but honestly, I'm pretty freaking committed to getting through this right now, as in I've even told my employer what's going on.

So, if anyone has used this method, how did you do it? From what I've read, it can be done in 2 or 3 days using beer only as much as needed to keep the shakes and such away and you need a schedule and all that. Would I be on the right track with something like a 12 to 9 to 6 to 0 plan based on how much I've been drinking?

Thanks in advance for any guidance.
The taper method was probably attempted by all of us at one point or another. I tried about, hmmmm...., 100 times or so. But I wouldn't be an alcoholic if I could control my intake like that.

My suggestion is to find a county detox facility. Austin is bound to have some good community programs.

But whatever you do, please take very good care of yourself. Don't mess around with detox.
Old 10-05-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi AnotherPaul - and welcome

As Slim suggested we can't give medical advice or treatment plans here - especially on something as serious as alcohol withdrawal.

In any case, my experience is tapering never worked for me anyway - and I tried any many times over the years.

How do you control something you've shown you can't control?

If you're worried about withdrawal seeing a Dr is the safest and most responsible way to go.

As some one who had a very bad last home alone detox (and who has to live with the health legacies of that now for good) I think some things like good health are more important than money.

If you cannot afford a Dr, there are a lot of free or low cost clinics around now in the US - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10816 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
Of course, the local ER is also an option.

D
Old 10-05-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

Okay. I called a couple of volunteer clinics but they're already closed. Will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the input.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Originally Posted by AnotherPaul View Post
Okay. I called a couple of volunteer clinics but they're already closed. Will try again tomorrow. Thanks for the input.
Good and please check out your local Salvation Army as
they have free short term de tox centers in many areas.

Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum...
Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bump. Just curious if the OP has learned anything about free/low cost detox options. It's nothing to take lightly but the life you save will be your own. I don't know your area but even a visit to acute care could be just a hundred or a little more. I dunno about you but I used to spend that in a few days on wine.
Old 10-07-2012, 07:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As was mentioned above, I used to spend at least 10 bucks a day on booze. A doctor can prescribe meds for withdrawal. In my area a doctor visit is under 100 bucks.
That said tapering off is better than going cold turkey if you can actually do it.
I kept trying to taper off,but always somehow forgot to quit.

I too had high blood pressure,and I was kind of disappointed when it didn't go down after a couple months. I saw others on here saying their blood pressure dropped right away. But I stayed sober,and it did come down. It took a year and a half or so. But I used to take medicine for it,and i don't need it any longer.
If you don't have insurance,my BP medicine was around 75 dollars a month. Soo there is another reason to quit.
I wish you the best.....
Fred