Notices

regrets

Old 10-02-2012, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

regrets

Im on day 32 right now, and oh boy have the regrets hit me hard. So many things I've missed, so many friends I've lost, jobs, times in my life that should have been the best, opportunities. So many times driving black out drunk and getting in confrontations and so many times I've almost died, I don't even think i deserve to be alive sometimes I pushed it so far. So much regret how do you get over this sh*t??
Old 10-02-2012, 04:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Like I said recently to someone else...everything I've done - good and bad - has led me here, to where I am today.

I've done wrong - but I've had the chance to put things right, as much as anyone can.

We should never forget...but don't focus on what's behind you...we can;t change a second of yesterday

focus on whats ahead and what you can do now, Username

D
Old 10-02-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Username1 View Post
Im on day 32 right now, and oh boy have the regrets hit me hard. So many things I've missed, so many friends I've lost, jobs, times in my life that should have been the best, opportunities. So many times driving black out drunk and getting in confrontations and so many times I've almost died, I don't even think i deserve to be alive sometimes I pushed it so far. So much regret how do you get over this sh*t??
yes, you do deserve to be alive. yer not a bad person gettin good. yer a sick person gettin well.

i didnt do all the insane stuff i did when i was drinking deliberatly. there were many, many times that i woke up with terror and bewilderment over wht i had done the day/night before.
for me, i worked the 12 steps of AA and the promise of "we will not regret the past nor wish to shut the door on it" has come true. if i forget it, i'll repeat it. if i regret it i'll get drunk.
i cant count how many jobs, many of them quite lucrative with very good outlooks for the future, i chose alcohol over, but it is what i had to go through to get to where i am.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Alcohol took away our ability to choose our actions. I know for me, I did things I would never have done sober.
But once we put down the alcohol, we have choices again. You can choose to right the wrongs you feel necessary (provided they don't injure anyone), make amends, or to do something good for the "universe", putting some good karma out there.
But dwelling on the past will get you nowhere productive.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:15 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Hi username. Regret and guilt ate me up to the point that I couldn't begin to heal. Every time a terrible memory surfaced I'd drink to quiet it down. It kept me drinking for years longer than I should have.

Don't let your past behavior and mistakes take away the new beginning you have right in front of you. None of us were in control back when we were drinking or using - & we never intended for bad things to happen. Sure, remember them so you'll never repeat them - but don't let them steal your chance at happiness.

Congratulations on your 32 days!
Old 10-02-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time...

As a long time AA member...I found living in the AA Steps
allowed me chances to move forward ..

I remember a song...."My Way" that was about regrets.
Sitting in bars...eyes leaking...feeling it applied to me...
Woe is me!!

Years later..no longer a depressed bar fly.. I think...
."What a self indulgent mess I was"...
Old 10-03-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

The thing is im not depressed. Just whenever certain things come up im like damn did i fu*Kk that sh*t up?
Old 10-03-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

One of the greatest miracles I have witnessed in AA is when my past, including things I once regretted, is helpful to someone else. Seeing someone benefit from the sharing of your experience will wipe out regret real quick. One of the greatest tools I have for helping others is my past, including all that crap I was ashamed of doing or not doing. Regrets become gifts when we use them properly.
Old 10-03-2012, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I gotta get to a meeting and get a sponsor. I just regret so much insane sh*t I did, I should be dead or in jail on just a handful of the things off my long list. It's alot on my mind.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I know how you feel. When activley drinking the messed up stuff we do /say doesnt really matter. Once you see the world through sober eyes it hurts badly. Let's just keep working on sobriety, embrace the little things, and smile when good things happen.
Old 10-03-2012, 06:32 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Well you aren't dead or in jail...

I know that feeling you describe, and there may never be an answer for you that will adequately explain why or, why not... Someone once told me that consequences of behavior are random and unfair... Some of us do end up in jail or dead.

So here you are! What are you gonna do today?