Notices

I've been binging :(

Old 09-25-2012, 02:21 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Devoted and Done

Jade,
That's interesting. Maybe you're one of those rare non-alcoholics who tend to binge drink every once in a while. However, from what I've learned is that there are actually very very few non-alcoholics who ever black out. Their bodies are just made differently, they lose the urge to drink when they are drunk and actually WANT to put the drink down. It's not just that alcoholics want to keep drinking, its that non-alcoholics don't want to keep drinking. Also, I'll remind you that alcoholism is a progressive disease and your body adapts the more you drink. Over time it gets worse. The fact that I was binging at all was enough of a red flag for me to look into it more. And the more I read about alcoholism the more I realized the description of the disease fit me to a T, albeit an early stage. I am not trying to say you're an alcoholic, because that is no one's decision but the person's own. Just keep in mind that binge drinking is an early sign of the disease, so if it does increase or get worse, you'll be able to make easier that decision about what to do next.
Old 09-25-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Devoted and Done

Hotmess,

Glad to have helped
Old 09-25-2012, 02:49 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Jade1224 View Post
I am a binge drinker.
It has taken me awhile to figure out what I am because I never believed I was truly an alcoholic.
I don't drink every day - although I would like to but it gives me depression for two or three days after. I have a feeling of guilt after I drink because i KNOW i drink too much. After the first drink it's very hard to stop. Sometimes I drink heavily for three or four days and then stop for a week.

Three years ago I was an alcoholic for about 8 months. Taking shots of liquor from about 11am to night time. I went through alcohol poisoning and then withdrawals. It scared me and embarrassed me so bad that I drank responsibly for three years after that.

So I'm not sure why the last few months I have been binge drinking. I seem to forget the horrible things I went through three years ago. I feel like if I don't get a grip on it now, it will get out of control. i would like to go back to drinking responsibly - during those three years I wasn't an alcoholic. i didnt need it and I was content with one or two drinks. I wish I wasn't going back to the way I used to be.
the fact that your doing something about it and wanting to quit is the first step. When I was reading your post I felt you were telling my story. I too was a binge drinker. I never drank every day. I drank once a week and when I did so... I couldn't have just 1. I stopped drinking 9 months then felt I could drink again... nope.. stopped several times too... nope kept drinking... last year I had 7 months of being sober again... decided it was time to move out of my parents home (i was 26) and felt my life was back on track with no drinking. within a few days of moving into my new home with room mates... I decided it was time to celebrate my new freedom and drank. I tried many methods.... I tried having just 2 drinks one night.... the next day.... booze was on my mind like mad so I walked to the liquor store (which was a 10 minute walk away) and bought all these huge bottles of vodka, whiskey and promised myself to pace myself.... that didn't work and ended up drinking most of the bottles I bought that day. I kept wanting to quit drinking for good but I kept having crazy cravings and my room mates never suspected I was an alcoholic... even when I drank with them we got drunk so none of them thought I was an alcoholic or had a problem drinking. Till I started raging in their faces. police paying a visit. then they told me i need to quit drinking if I want to live there. I ended up binge drinking once more for 4 days back in august 2011. I had so much to drink I didn't eat, drink water or sleep much. I had missed work for 3 days without calling them to tell them I was sick.....

basically. I know what your going through. But there is hope if you are willing to try and do something about it. Today I am sober for a year and a month and I feel great. Not one thought of drinking. I do reflect back and remember the bad days when I use to drink. I choose today. I choose to be sober and maintain it. Last year I didn't think obtaining a year of no drinking was possible. I have my loving parents, brother, friends, co workers who support me and a very loving and supportive girlfriend who doesn't drink because shes not interested in getting drunk.... which reminds me her and I are going through some rough patches right now... and Im a bit emotional as I write this to you... sorry... but I choose whats going on right now to be better then out there drinking my problems away just for a bit.... thanks for the post... i needed to read this