Notices

Stress Can Lead To Relapse.....

Old 09-06-2012, 04:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Stress Can Lead To Relapse.....

In AA they say that resentments are the #1 offender to relapse. I think stress also can lead to picking up. I had a stressful day & although I don't want a drink (which is good) I want to scream. I had a terrible encounter at the pharmacy trying to transfer a prescription & then had to deal w/ aggressive bill collector who won't take NO for an answer. The only money I have is going to be going to an dui/criminal attorney & the rest to start the bankruptcy process. Sometimes I wonder why I bother to even stay sober but I want to give it a chance.
Old 09-06-2012, 04:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you let those interactions harbor in your head, they turn into resentments. I heard it compared to taking poison expecting the other person to die.

Stress is tough, but drinking is worse.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Boy am I finally getting that through this head of mine that the incredible amount of stress I am under right now and have been for sometime isn't as bad a drinking to numb it. I am trying to hang on to the inkling of hope I have left. Going back to AA. Determined to give it my all and give it to God. God help me.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Justfor1 - I can definitely relate to how you're feeling right now. It's so challenging to handle the wreckage caused by our drinking days. I had the dui's and bankruptcy to deal with, as well as relationship issues and health problems - caused by my addiction. It all turned out fine, though - and I'm so glad I didn't pour more alcohol on the whole mess. It gets us nowhere - just pushes us further back in the hole.

You are going to come out of this a new person, stronger and better than ever. You are bothering to stay sober because in your heart, you know going back to that old life is never going to solve anything - and can never lead to happiness or fulfillment. Be proud of yourself for staying strong and keeping on your journey to a sober/happy/free life.

keepinghope12 - Hello to you! We're so happy to have you as part of the family.
Old 09-06-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Justfor1 View Post
In AA they say that resentments are the #1 offender to relapse. I think stress also can lead to picking up. I had a stressful day & although I don't want a drink (which is good) I want to scream. I had a terrible encounter at the pharmacy trying to transfer a prescription & then had to deal w/ aggressive bill collector who won't take NO for an answer. The only money I have is going to be going to an dui/criminal attorney & the rest to start the bankruptcy process. Sometimes I wonder why I bother to even stay sober but I want to give it a chance.
wel, there is a bright point here: theres noting unique about what yer goin through and ya didnt drink. i am sure you have had these encounters when drinking and now its learning about how to handle them.

so heres what i see: maybe yu had expectations that the scrpt transfer was just gonna be nice and smooth? and then it didnt go as ya thought? if thats the case, we can make plans but we cant plan the outcome.
patience is important and it isnt about what we are doin while we wait or have to make adjustments to our plans. its about what we are thinking.

you are staying sober because the alternative is drinking, which will get ya locked up or covered up.

keep on trudgin!! it'll get better!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think lots of things can lead to relapse...but only until we gain the tools to deal with those kinds of challenges in more positive ways.

Whats coping methods do you have for stressy days J41?
how do you relax and unwind?

do you have people to call?
do you have a plan for stress?

I think those are the kinds of things we all need to consider don't you reckon?

every one of us will face trigger situations, sometimes quite often - but relapse is not inevitable, not if we have a recovery plan and a strategy for dealing with the rough parts of the life road

D
Old 09-06-2012, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I'm with you, it's not worth drinking and losing sobriety... I had a freakin bad day myself! I'm looking forward to calling my sponsor in the morning! Keep your head high!
Old 09-06-2012, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Thanks everyone. It just seems like the more we drank, the more stress we put upon ourselves. I was trapped in a very vicious cycle for years. Since, Sept of 2011 I have had 1 day of drinking.
I can cope somewhat better now yet still get extremely frustrated.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

In AA they say that resentments are the #1 offender to relapse. I think stress also can lead to picking up.
Here lies the biggest difference between abstinence and recovery in my experience. When I was practicing abstinence, I was walking a tightrope ODAAT. I could not survive any storms in my life. When I started practicing recovery, the rope got wider and wider until it allowed me enough room to zigzag and stumble once in a while.

"It is a design for living that works in rough going."
(page 15)
Old 09-06-2012, 09:33 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Justfor1....How are you doing on the steps?
Old 09-06-2012, 10:13 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Just......just IMO.......but I read your post 4 or 5 times just to be sure. What you're calling stress - it's really resentment. Harboring anger, mad at court/attorney/the system/whatever.....continuing to carry the anger from the pharmacy and not forgiving the bill collector but carrying around the feelings you had back when that call took place.

Sure, things happen and we get upset. Understandable. After they've happened though......if they're still ON me, it's resentment.

Have you considered doing inventory on them, the 4 columns, looking at it/them from a completely different angle, 5th stepping it, doing 6-9 as well?