Notices

I am a binge drinker how do I stop?

Old 08-21-2012, 12:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I am a binge drinker how do I stop?

I don't drink everyday but when I do I drink the whole bottle of wine. I smoke when I drink so it's like a party. I don't keep the alcohol in the house so I have to go get it. I actually get excited! Then the next day I feel like crap, I say I will not do it again, then a week or couple days go by and I am right back having my party. I felt so bad today I called out sick. I have to stop and today has to be the day. My son will be 17 in a few days, I don't want him to see his mom like that any more.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Maria, that's me too. we are different, but I had convinced myself I wasn't an alcoholic because I didn't drink everyday. The truth is I couldn't control my binge drinking and the binges got progressively worse, drinking to black out regulalry. This finally all caught up with me last month in a big way and I came to the conclusion of what I knew deep down inside that I was an alcoholic and I can never ever have that first drink. I now getting the help I need, being here is helpful component...
Old 08-21-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You stop in exactly the same way as any other person attempting to stop. Don't take the first drink. You can have the second or the third but not the first.

Then to stay stopped you need to go to some sort of structured sobriety program. I suggest AA, because that's what worked for me and what I know best. There's also AVRT and SMART that others can speak to.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If you can't open a bottle of wine without drinking the whole thing you most likely do have a problem... no lectures here only you can figure out why you're doing this to yourself.

I hope you realize it isn't a party, it's just plain unhealthy behavior especially if you feel remorse the next day.

What do you want to do now?
Old 08-21-2012, 01:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our recovery community....

Many of us are winning over alcohol useing a variety of things
I've found AA works great for me...and it's an awesome
way to live too...

Blessings to you and your son.
Old 08-21-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm a binge drinker too..I will go weeks and months at a time sober..If a friend comes over a brings a 6 pack and I drink 1 or 2, when they leave I'm heading to the store for a 12 pack and off on a 5 day bender..Only thing that will work is don't take the first drink..
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

That is exactly the way that I use to feel. I finally stopped 8 months ago with AA. I have tried my way for way too long, and I had to surrender to AA. My way wouldn't work, antabuse, trying to cut back, changing what I drank, etc....
I am so much happier today! I love being sober today, it may change tomorrow, but today I am sober and happy!
Old 08-22-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

what kind of help are you getting? I am not sure how to go about it, I am not sure why if do it. If I was able to see it coming i could come up with a plan to prevent it.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ZiggyB View Post
If you can't open a bottle of wine without drinking the whole thing you most likely do have a problem... no lectures here only you can figure out why you're doing this to yourself.

I hope you realize it isn't a party, it's just plain unhealthy behavior especially if you feel remorse the next day.

What do you want to do now?

I want to stop, i know it is very unhealthy for me. I have gone months with out a drink and was able to only have one drink, then something happens and it turns into the binge.
Old 08-22-2012, 07:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey Maria,
I too a a binge drinker and can't always have a plan. The unpredictability of the when and what triggers these episodes was frustrating. As I look in the rear view mirror, I wish I would have addressed some of the reasons(triggers) sooner. Unfortunately it too me way to long to address the core issue, which is I'm alcoholic and cannot drink, period. So I'm Doug individual counseling for the triggers, and am currently in an IOP program for the alchohol use. Both sets of counselors are working with me on my go forward plan which includes checking out aa. For what it's worth, thats my binge drinking remediation plan... Been sober for 33 days so far..
Old 08-22-2012, 08:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by easyrider73 View Post
I'm a binge drinker too..I will go weeks and months at a time sober..If a friend comes over a brings a 6 pack and I drink 1 or 2, when they leave I'm heading to the store for a 12 pack and off on a 5 day bender..Only thing that will work is don't take the first drink..
Wow that is exactly what happens, I don't know why sometimes i can have just one and other times i just can't stop until i am intoxicated.
Old 08-22-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That was me, too. I'd go out with a friend for dinner and have 2-3 drinks and when I got home, I'd have 6 more. Actually, coming home was the best part of the night, as I could then drink how I wanted to, without worrying about how fast I was drinking compared to someone else. Having just a couple drinks was frustrating, and just made me crave more. Eventually I was binge drinking 5 days a week and miserable and sad. For me, it's easier to have none, than to try to moderate. Like Fred said, a program is a great idea. Stay on SR, too...read and read. It's a great place full of support and advice. You can do it, it's so worth it. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Ditto for me. The social drinking was generally a prelude to the main event. I'd get a little lubed p, then find away to get alne and drink whatever, however I wanted. Usually ends badly, but I would feed the demon inside telling me how good an idea it was...
Old 08-22-2012, 12:51 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am a binge drinker as well can go weeks and months, cannot stop though and I do want to get drunk....I have been blacking out......I had to accept that I was an alcoholic even if I can go days months etc. in between . I have just finished a mindfulness program and starting another program with an drug and alcohol focus. To day I am having a real struggle and having quite the discussions with myself about the consequences of drinking....anyway that is where I am at the present day
Old 08-22-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Maria1234 View Post
I want to stop, i know it is very unhealthy for me. I have gone months with out a drink and was able to only have one drink, then something happens and it turns into the binge.
Well, it's good that you want to stop. Some people can't prevent binge drinking so it's better that they just don't get started in the first place. Once you have the first drink you lose your inhibitions, right? Do you think you need help, like a support group or a therapist?
Old 08-22-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Im in the same shoes. Ive called out of work a couple times, i feel like im a call away from getting the boot.
Old 08-22-2012, 04:43 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm a very similar binge drinker, can go weeks, months...and then it's drinking the whole bottle of wine...or more. I finally decided I can't live like that and AA has been incredible (despite my years of looking down on it and feeling I was above it).
Old 08-22-2012, 09:18 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I can just have one drink at times, I am in therapy just not sure what happens. I thank you for helping.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Needsassistance View Post
Hey Maria,
I too a a binge drinker and can't always have a plan. The unpredictability of the when and what triggers these episodes was frustrating. As I look in the rear view mirror, I wish I would have addressed some of the reasons(triggers) sooner. Unfortunately it too me way to long to address the core issue, which is I'm alcoholic and cannot drink, period. So I'm Doug individual counseling for the triggers, and am currently in an IOP program for the alchohol use. Both sets of counselors are working with me on my go forward plan which includes checking out aa. For what it's worth, thats my binge drinking remediation plan... Been sober for 33 days so far..
I am still trying to come up with that plan, its been two days now and i am fine, it's when the urge comes i need to have the plan. i have started working out again, it helps but doesn't always work.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

It doesn't always work... Certainly can't plan for every scenario, but for me the core component of any plan is never having that first drink... that is something I can plan on and control. I fooled myself for a long time that I can have one or two.. The alcoholic demo insides would convincing tell me it was the thing to do, for me it's not...