Notices

Terrible cravings

Old 08-31-2012, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Terrible cravings

I have substantially slowed down my drinking. In the last 6 months, I've gotten drunk maybe 2-3 times. Stayed sober for a while, got married and barely drank.

Today is 2 months without a drop, my cravings in the last 2 days have been extremely intense. All I want to do is hop in the car and go to the bar and have a few.

This is the hardest craving I've ever had and I can't stop thinking about alcohol.

Even thinking about how sick I was last time I drank, and how bad I felt for days after aren't stopping me from wanting beer.

Really weird...I don't get it
Old 08-31-2012, 11:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I think the cravings can come hard after 30 days and in your case 60 days. They say it doesn't subside til 6 months depressing!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I don't know what is triggering the extreme urge today, but have you tried HALT (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired). I use HALT and it is very helpful.

Dee has a link for it and it is very useful for powerful cravings. I think there is a sticky link to it as well.

hang in there!
Old 08-31-2012, 12:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Dont do it Bman, I had 4 months then 6 weeks and thought I could go back normal drinking, never works, always ends in week long binge, then terrible sickness, then depression wishing I had not gave in
Old 08-31-2012, 01:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It will pass Bman. Really strong cravings are not pleasant though. I always try and find the root of mine. Quite often the trigger is something simple like a sunny day or a response to a stressful situation, but more often as my sober time increases they are caused by bad thought patterns which I have let creep up on me. Things like rationalising my drinking, making excuses for it, blaming my drinking problem on things external to me and therefore feeling like I have some sort of entitlement to drink. When I have thoughts like that I have to challenge them and it's interesting how often they can pop up, even in a small way.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:24 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I made it, cravings arent bad today. I was even offered beer last night and declined it.
Old 09-01-2012, 11:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

could it have been a paws event?

I felt overwelming desire to drink and lightheadedness, simular to minor withdrawals.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey...

I figure you aren't AA 'cause you didn't mention it... but try something new, if you haven't.. find an AA meeting next time you are having a day like that... It's no obligation, you won't get abducted or tattooed or anything... You might just find it helps, to be around others who know just what you are feeling...

Glad you are doin' better.