Notices

I'm a happy drunk.

Old 08-24-2012, 08:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm a happy drunk.

I am having a difficult time understanding why i should quit. I am HONESTLY, a happy person. I have a great relationship going on almost a decade, a good job, good friends and family.
the ONLY thing I was worried about was my health. But amazingly all my vitals were normal when I was admitted to the hospital last month.
I get black out drunk a lot, feel fine for the next day.
Where is my motivation???
Old 08-24-2012, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Carry on... we'll see you later when your vitals aren't normal. Is that what it will take ??

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-24-2012, 08:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It has always been a fear of mine to quit drinking when I get the test results back telling me my liver is messed up. Knowing I brought myself to this point and knowing I would have less time on this earth because I chose to keep pushing it. I recently was hospitalized and all my test came back normal but my resolve to not drink could not be stronger.

That is my motivation....hope you find yours.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
I am having a difficult time understanding why i should quit. I am HONESTLY, a happy person. I have a great relationship going on almost a decade, a good job, good friends and family.
the ONLY thing I was worried about was my health. But amazingly all my vitals were normal when I was admitted to the hospital last month.

Then you are waiting until something really bad happens to you in a blackout. It's bound to happen, luck doesn't last forever. I decided to quit before something awful happened and I'm glad I did.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by babycat View Post
In my personal experience, drinking was taking precedence over everything in my life. MY motivation was to not lose my job and to keep a good relationship that I would have lost if my actions continued.

I can promise no one here is going to tell you that you should not stop drinking. What you need to ask yourself is why are you looking into recovery? Why are you considering quitting? Are you capable of controlling your drinking? Obviously there is a control problem if you are blacking out -- it's that you don't know when to stop. Towards the end of my drinking days, when I went out, I drank to the point of blacking out. My drinking started as binge drinking on the weekends that turned into a nightly affair when I was home alone and I'd drink myself to sleep.

I'm not trying to say that you do or don't have a problem that needs to be addressed, but if you are asking the question, you must have an issue with drinking somewhere. I would think that you aren't just checking out recovery for the fun of it.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am assuming you are honestly looking for reasons, so here are a few that come to my mind:

Maybe you can consider that even though THIS health check up was good, it's increasingly unlikely as the years pass that they will continue to be good if you drink too much.

Your photo looks on the young side. It's pretty easy to roll with the punches when you are young, but you are putting a burden on your body and at SOME point health issues will arise. You are asking your liver to concentrate on alcohol all the time rather than do it's regular job. And, you are dehydrating yourself regularly, and substituting empty alcohol calories for nutrition. Logically, this will take a toll over time.

Also, you look very pretty in your photo. One great way to age yourself quickly and lose good looks is to over-drink. Anyway you slice or dice it, that is undeniable. That is a pretty good motivator too! Vanity is a silly reason to get sober, but hey, everyone likes to be attractive.

For proof, look at the paparazzi shots of those celebrities overdoing it in the drink and drug world. Usually not looking their best. Look at poor Whitney! She was so beautiful as a young lady, and looking pretty rough towards the end.

And... black out stage would be scary for me. Wonder if something happened in that state that you are accountable for, like you choose to drink and drive and hurt someone, etc?

Hope these ideas help to motivate you!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2granddaughters View Post
Carry on... we'll see you later when your vitals aren't normal. Is that what it will take ??

All the best.

Bob R
Oh, maybe another millionth suggestion to attend AA from you will help.
All the best.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by inahole View Post
I am assuming you are honestly looking for reasons, so here are a few that come to my mind:

Maybe you can consider that even though THIS health check up was good, it's increasingly unlikely as the years pass that they will continue to be good if you drink too much.

Your photo looks on the young side. It's pretty easy to roll with the punches when you are young, but you are putting a burden on your body and at SOME point health issues will arise. You are asking your liver to concentrate on alcohol all the time rather than do it's regular job. And, you are dehydrating yourself regularly, and substituting empty alcohol calories for nutrition. Logically, this will take a toll over time.

Also, you look very pretty in your photo. One great way to age yourself quickly and lose good looks is to over-drink. Anyway you slice or dice it, that is undeniable. That is a pretty good motivator too! Vanity is a silly reason to get sober, but hey, everyone likes to be attractive.

For proof, look at the paparazzi shots of those celebrities overdoing it in the drink and drug world. Usually not looking their best. Look at poor Whitney! She was so beautiful as a young lady, and looking pretty rough towards the end.

And... black out stage would be scary for me. Wonder if something happened in that state that you are accountable for, like you choose to drink and drive and hurt someone, etc?

Hope these ideas help to motivate you!
Thank you, they actually really do.
Old 08-24-2012, 08:55 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'll also go with the vanity card.
This much I can near promise you- broken capillaries, cuts and bruises, facial redness, chest redness and bumps, bloated face and actually getting hangovers.
Those are the things that usually happen naturally to a person who over drinks.

I can really relate to the no motivation thing as when you're young, one odd test result isn't very life changing. Till it is. But how's about the wanting to keep your looks work?

Also - if you take a gander at the different threads/posts in here, you'll see SR is much more than someone saying AA to you. That's just one small area. Use the Ignore button if needed.
best to you!
Old 08-24-2012, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kza

Maybe YOU think you are a happy drunk. I bet those around you do not think so. They might not tell you but I bet you really are not that much fun.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kza View Post
Maybe YOU think you are a happy drunk. I bet those around you do not think so. They might not tell you but I bet you really are not that much fun.

Nope, I am "perfectly fine", according to them and my non drinking family. Me quitting drinking is a tragedy apparently.(that part is friends, not fam , whom I never drink around anyway, lol)
Old 08-24-2012, 09:07 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Well, that isn't going to be that helpful to you, that is for sure. I am sure they mean well. Just continue to be fun around them in a sober state, they will get used to the new you I am sure!
Old 08-24-2012, 09:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're having a 'right old good time' with little or no consequences. You might possibly not be in any way alcoholic ? I'm sure you'll identify the proper madness if and when it starts and hopefully get yourself some support .
Old 08-24-2012, 09:30 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

For what it's worth, I have walked where you are walking. I tried to stop drinking after times I 'blacked out' and hurt myself, hurt others or crashed a car. I came thru it alive but I guess I didn't learn my lesson well enough. This continued. I am often jealous of those who stop before they hit their bottom. For me, I continued to test the waters and finally did hit my bottom after many years of drinking.
I got my third DUI. I went to rehab because I was not successful at quitting on my own. After rehab, I had to do jail time for the DUI's and lost my license for 10 years. So now 18 months sober, I continue to pay the price for my bad decisions. Fines, surcharges, no driving and on top of that, while sober, my son got his second DUI & my daughter her first. That piled guilt upon me beyond belief. What an example I set for them. Now, I struggle to move forward despite my situation. It is hard at times. Discouraging at times also. I finally realize that the only way for me to stay sober is by going to AA. If I didn't go to AA, I wallow in pity even worse than I am, and I would be angry, and that would lead me back to the drink. I have spoken at rehabs a few times now. I cannot stress the importance of that if your young and have so much life ahead of you, that if alcohol (or drugs) are a big part of your life, they may become bigger and eventually will rob you of what you have. I hope you do the right thing for yourself and the ones you love. The road goes to the left & to the right--I spent too much time on the wrong road and have paid for it dearly. I hope you can make the right choice and live a better life.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:50 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AA member

[QUOTE=babycat;3546669]I am having a difficult time understanding why i should quit. .
I get black out drunk a lot,.
QUOTE]

What are you here for if you are happy with yourself?

If you continue to drink and suffer blackouts something catastrophic will happen,that is a certainty.To continue this way is madness.
Old 08-24-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kza

So why are you here?
Old 08-24-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Jezus Christ. Because I KNOW I should not be doing what I am doing, but I still am doing. And I am trying to figure out why I should not be doing such.
Some of you people are just either obnoxious or clueless. Sorry. Honestly, sorry, I don't know how else to read it.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:07 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Perhaps you are just a heavy drinker who can moderate? Occasionally, I see folks who come into AA & decide it's not for them & go back to drinking socially. If you only are having blackouts & no other consequences than perhaps drink with trusted friends only that will look after you. I wish I was in your situation with regards to alcohol. The only advise you most likely will get here is "quit or you are going to die". Of course, that is what SR is about, abstinence. Good luck & I hope you can drink socially.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:17 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Kza

You should not be doing it because it will likely kill you after it destroys you so far, happy life.
Old 08-24-2012, 10:20 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

You dont seem to be finding the answers you are looking for here. There are other forums out there. maybe give them a shot?