Notices

3 weeks no booz, extreme bordome

Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

3 weeks no booz, extreme bordome

I find that I have nothing to look forward to and my anxiety and happyness has gone down since I quit. I am not worried about turning back, I go out to my friends and I have a decent time... I feel that I can't concentrate at work either... is this normal?
Old 08-23-2012, 01:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Yes, it is quite normal. Your brain is trying to heal, but it is just beginning. It will take several weeks to start feeling more put together. Hang in there...it gets better!
Old 08-23-2012, 02:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well....in my time in AA....I've been mad ..sad and glad but never bored...
Why not find others who share your journey?

My first AA group was mostly other singles and we did all sorts of
fun and interesting things outside of meetings.
Recovery is an adventure ...hope you learn how to find the joy..
Old 08-23-2012, 02:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

I agree with everyone so far. Your brain and body are going to need a lot of time to get back to normal, depending on just how much/often/long you drank. It took me about 4 months to fully feel like a human being again.
Old 08-23-2012, 02:32 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Yeah I'm in the same boat with 32 days sober. I consider it to be one of my worst triggers. You just need to learn some new hobbies. I started going to the gym again on a regular basis, took a firearms class and now I go shooting at the range (GREAT stress reliever) and I watch a lot of movies in my free time. But thats just my thing. I'm sure you will think of your own thing, something you have always wanted to do, and just give it a try. Think of it as money you would have blown if you were still drinking!
Old 08-23-2012, 02:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for shareing your ideas with us BostonCMS
Hope all goes well with your new life...

Welcome to our recovery community...
Old 08-23-2012, 03:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It took me a good few months to get anything nearing normal Flyersfan. It really does get better eventually though x
Old 08-23-2012, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Yes, it's normal... I lost my job- I was actually 50 days sober and they handed me my last check... but it's been good that I've been able to concentrate more on my sobriety-but it hasn't helped those I live with-it's been tough.. but that was 45 days ago.. Just need a job badly now and look forward to something new... AA has been the best thing for me, there are days I want to go badly and others when I don't. Funny one day when I was ready to give up on myself-I met my best friend-and we are constantly doing things together and I'm making other friends... It's been a blessing since I don't have a job now- I get rides to meetings and get to know new people...good luck friend
Old 08-23-2012, 04:27 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

Originally Posted by Flyersfan View Post
I find that I have nothing to look forward to and my anxiety and happyness has gone down since I quit. I am not worried about turning back, I go out to my friends and I have a decent time... I feel that I can't concentrate at work either... is this normal?
Same thing with me FF.

As I was going through it, it started making progressively more sense to me that alcohol and drinking weren't realllllllly the problem for me. My problem was I couldn't/wouldn't/didn't-know-how to live life happily WITHOUT alcohol. And when you can't life life happily when you're sober, guess what happens? I get drunk again - hoping all along the way that it'll be different this time. ......and it's never different....it's always exactly the frickin' same. ugh.

Now though, I've got a new way of looking at life...... I see things through a different set of glasses now. Things I never noticed before are now big deals to me. Ppl who used to annoy me don't anymore. Things that used to upset me and/or make me feel lonely don't have that power anymore. Long story short......I've been completely changed. I'm a FAR different person today than I was when I was drinking and when I first got sober.

The best part - I didn't have to engineer all that change. All I had to do was try it.......and work on my willingness to try it. I did have to practice being willing to get away from a lot of "old thinking" that I'd used to make decisions......and to try some stuff that I was pretty sure was silly but evidence showed it worked for a lot of other ppl......but that's about it.

Things like boredom going away, serenity, true happiness, etc.........that stuff can be down the road but for someone like me, I had to keep walking the road. Very little of it came with the swish of a magic wand or as some reward for not drinking anymore. Leave it to my ego to tell me that now that I'm not a comleeeeeete ass, I deserve every single thing life has to offer without working for it. lol.
Old 08-23-2012, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I feel bored but tbh i think its anxiety led. I watch tv for 10 mins then get bored. Same with xbox etx etx. I assume onse ive been sober for a while then ill be able to relax,,

Oh p.s good luck
Old 08-24-2012, 07:12 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found that going to AA meetings and trying to help the newcomer got me out of me and I felt a whole lot better... stayed sober too without really thinking about it.

When I start thinking "Hey !! What about ME !!" ... I'm screwed.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 08-24-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I stopped drinking and started the next day with AA. I simply couldn't have gotten sober on my own. You must find something to do that replaces drinking. I strongly recommend a program.