Notices

Is it possible?

Old 08-15-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Is it possible?

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum I want to share my drinking habits and maybe get a few questions answered.

I'm 21 years old and for the last 6 years I've been binge drinking 3-4 times a month. I have a job that allows me to have every other weekend off and that's when I usually go out with friends. I didn't really feel I had a problem as I could go two weeks without drinking in between the weekends I have off work and I don't crave alcohol.

I've been concerned about my health lately. I can't really remember the last time I've had a decent sleep. its very hard for me to fall asleep and when I do fall asleep I wake up every couple hours and sometime cannot go back to sleep.
I've also been feeling very low on energy and I constantly feel tired. Ive also been getting waves of depression and anxiety. I'm generally a very happy and optimistic person but I haven't been feeling myself lately. Getting irritated and angry at times, major mood swings... I feel confused, and it's been getting very hard to concentrate and my memory seems to be a bit off.

I realize that binge drinking could have an effect on the brain and be the cause of those symptoms. I was wondering if I should cut off drinking completely so I can recover. Or is it alright to still go out and just have a couple drinks with friends and be able to still recover since im not binge drinking, will a couple drinks still cause me problems?
Old 08-15-2012, 04:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If you think drinking is the cause of your problems you already have your answer. At your age I thought I was invincible but the truth was that I was laying the groundwork for a future obsession I still battle to this day. Will this be you? No one can tell you that for sure. What I can tell you is that continuing a pattern of binge drinking will most likely eventually cause problems.

If you for even the slightest moment think you have a drinking problem, no amount is advised.
Old 08-15-2012, 05:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can tell you as a binge drinker myself that binge drinking will drain your energy and you will lose sleep the first few nights you stop drinking. After I come off a 3 day or longer binge I have all the signs you speak of,the anxiety,depression,insomnia. You say you don't have withdraws? Well I'm here to tell you those symptoms are withdraws from the binge. Best advice is to stay dry..Good luck!
Old 08-15-2012, 06:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Symptoms sound all too familiar to me as well. We are not allowed to give "medical advice" but I am sure there is proof and agreement that binge drinking is unhealthy. It isn't apparent to me whether you want to quit drinking or not but I would ecourage you to consider it if you indeed feel that it may be causing health or other concerns.
I hope you don't have to come back to this site in a few years and see this first post and think, "Wow, I wish I would have just stopped way back then!" I can remember several points in my life where I thought about it but didn't. I can honestly say I wish I had. It only gets harder and the real life consequences of problem drinking are truly devastating.
It's obviously your life and your choice and I wish you all the best with both.
Old 08-15-2012, 07:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~sb

The DSM V is about to have Binge or Periodic Drinking added to it's definition of Alcoholism.

Alcohol is a class IV narcotic. It interrupts normal sleep patterns...and does other stuff as it numbs/depresses each system in our body and brain...

Try not drinking for a period of about 90 days and see how you feel. You can always make a decision after this as to what you want to do regarding drinking.

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here!
Old 08-15-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

Please do see a doctor and be honest ...tell them what you
have shared with us so proper tests can be done....

Alcohol is a toxic liquid and damages many things ..that is
true for all drinkers.....not only alcoholics

You have youth on your side....don't mess around with waiting .
Old 08-15-2012, 08:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey . There is a ton of good advice for you posted. If you have a primary physician it would be beneficial for you to go to him/her and let them know everything that you are going through. Everything. Who knows if this is alcohol related. It might be. It also could be something entirely different.
When it comes to the partying and being concerned. I think that its good to be concerned. Think about what your doing and what the long term effects could be.
I hope you call your doctor and get checked out.