Notices

Massive cravings... Any ideas?!?!

Old 08-14-2012, 10:30 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Massive cravings... Any ideas?!?!

Just what the title says, I'm feeling overwhelmed by cravings today... Anyone any ideas too help, I'm feeling plum out :-(!!
Old 08-14-2012, 10:49 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Being in AA myself, my first recommendation would be to find a meeting near you. I found early on that being in the presence of others who understood what I was going through was a big help.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, I'm hanging in there for 8pm, but I'm actually afraid to go out of the flat. Worried that I'll only make it as far as the bar (I live above a bar!!)
Old 08-14-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Turn off the computer, and go outside for a walk. Breathe in the fresh air, and take in the sunshine.

Ask God to remove the obsession to drink and hurt yourself.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's the problem. I've been asking whatever is there and I'm too afraid to go outside in case I wander to a bar or shop... I don't think my brain likes me very much :-)!!!
Old 08-14-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

'Think the drink through'... Imagine having a drink and think it through to the logical conclusion, like the many more that'll come after that, the feelings of guilt, the hangover...and the compulsion to keep on drinking the next day. Even through to loosing jobs/partners/homes. I usually found that once I'd gone through all that the craving had passed.

Also don't dwell on it. The more you let the craving send you into a panic the worse it'll get. Distract yourself. Don't engage with that voice that is telling you to drink.

Also look into 'stop thoughts' and 'urge surfing' x
Old 08-14-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks Hypo, what are 'stop thoughts'?
I'm doing that right now, but my brain keeps hitting me with "it'll just be one night to relax"... I know it won't, it'll be three months of in and out of consciousness and probably another hospital :-(.... My brain is doing cartwheels today. Shame because I've not had a craving in the past four months :-(
Thanks guys and gals
Old 08-14-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bazerington View Post
Thanks, I'm hanging in there for 8pm, but I'm actually afraid to go out of the flat. Worried that I'll only make it as far as the bar (I live above a bar!!)
You have any phone numbers for folks in AA?
Old 08-14-2012, 12:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If the cravings feel more physical then mental... nothing beats a big bowl of ice cream
Old 08-14-2012, 01:22 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Stop thoughts and urge surfing are SMART recovery things - urge surfing is basically - wait it out! It is unpleasant but not unbearable. Just wait the urge out...it will not last forever.

Stop thoughts is...I don't know. I never did much with this one. But it is a SMART thing I'm pretty sure.

When I got urges / cravings, whatever, the longest anyone would last would be like 45 min. Often closer to 5 - 15 min. It's uncomfortable, but it does end. Then I just get on with my day - the bad feeling has passed.

And in my experience, they get less and less the longer UNBROKEN sobriety I have. If I drink once a week for 2 months, it's like I don't even make a dent in them. Every day, sometimes 2 - 3 times a day. But if I manage to get 1 month unbroken sobriety, they are less and less as time goes on.

It DOES make a difference to not drink today. Dealing with the urge somehow as opposed to giving into it is like flexing a muscle that gets stronger the more you do it.

Hang in there!!
Old 08-14-2012, 01:26 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My friend - get yourself in voice or face to face contact with someone else in sobriety. As Soon As Physically Possible.

Not a person in AA that wouldn't drop everything to help you through this period. We've all had them to one degree or another.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

"STOP Thought" is indeed a SMART Recovery tool, derived from a very simple but effective CBT technique. Basically, when you find yourself obsessing about something--including a craving--you basically scream "STOP"!!!!! and do something else. I know, it sounds absurdly simple but it actually does work!!!!

Here's a link to the specific SMART Recovery webpage where you can find the STOP Thought tool as well as many other relapse prevention ideas.

SMART RecoveryŽ - Tool Chest and Homework
Old 08-15-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see if my expereince is useful for you....take any
or all of my successful recovery journey ..

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...xpereince.html
Old 08-15-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I handled my cravings with Pepsi.coffee and chocolate, probably not the healthiest thing for me but it sure has to be better than chugging 12 Budweisers every night..