Notices

Little Accomplishments

Old 08-08-2012, 10:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Little Accomplishments

Hey guys, I just wanted to share something with you peeps that I am pretty proud of tonight. It's been a bit since I have drank, but I've been trying to avoid places where I usually would drink because I suffer from anxiety and thought it would trigger enough anxiety to make me want to drink it away.

When I was drinking, I went to a local bar for trivia that lasted about 3 hours and would have 4-5 pints throughout trivia. My wife and I go with another couple who is one of our only couple friends since we moved to a new area about 6 months ago. We are 25 years old, so we haven't met too many married couples our age in this college town.

But I didn't want to keep my wife away from one of our only couple friends and they like to do that, so I went to the bar with them for some trivia. I saw all the people drinking, yelling out obnoxious things during trivia they normally wouldn't have, and just thought how bad they would be feeling in the morning and worse how bad I would be feeling because my anxiety amplifies hangovers.

So, it doesn't sound like much but I went to a bar where I've never been without drinking and just drank water with lime the whole night. The next thing I'll go to where I usually drink is a Texas Rangers game and actually remember the game! Hahaha!

Good luck to everyone in their sobriety, and take the little accomplishments as big ones to help you get through.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Funyons, you are FANTASTIC.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great job Funyons!! I haven't put myself in a drinking environment yet, but I am sure it will be quite a test
Old 08-09-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well done! You passed a difficult test - it'll make you so much stronger for the next one! It's not a 'little' accomplishment at all - it's a fantastic one! Keep going! :-)
Old 08-09-2012, 05:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad to know your sobreity continues....
All my best to you and your wife
Old 08-09-2012, 05:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Dude, that's awesome
Old 08-09-2012, 05:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations! Best wishes.
Old 08-09-2012, 11:13 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's not a "little" accomplishment; that's a BIG'un!! Well done! I had to control myself at a college graduation party hosted by my numerous drunken cousins in May. First 1/2 hour was a mental trial, but then I just forgot about it. There were so many people to talk to and I've no problem socializing sober. I'm a major practical joker and prankster (yes, when sober), so maybe that helps... LOL.

Sometimes, will power alone isn't enough, but sometimes, it IS. Give yourself a pat on the back, and refer back to your strength on that evening the next time you need to. Again -- well done!
Old 08-10-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome. I am a huge supporter of the idea of NOT changing your routine when you quit so kudos to you.
Old 08-10-2012, 07:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Big accomplishment in my book...you should be proud of yourself.

I liked the fact that you could look at others and see what alcohol was doing to them and then continue to imagine the hangovers and think of the negative consequences for yourself if you were to wake up with a hangover the next morning.

Years ago, for me it was always a turn off to arrive at a party/bar late and see people sloppy, loud and obnoxiously drunk. That was when I was still in control of my drinking. Right now, I have no desire to be in those environments, but I applaud you for your inner strength and thinking of your wife's need to socialize.

Well done...keep up with that thought process and you will continue to be successful!