Notices

Did a Doctor Ever Discuss Your Drinking?

Old 08-03-2012, 07:08 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes over the years ... both PC's and finally my last psychiatrist.
gave me a diagnoses of situational depression.

He then suggested I quit and connect to AA.
I've done both and live well with purpose and joy...

Plese ask your neuro-oncology doctor about the possibility of
Cyber Knife Surgery ..it's actually radiation and been very
effective for me with both lung and brain cancers.

A few months ago new lung cancers appeared in my other
lung....Chemo treatments are on going and I'm now stable.

Niether the Cyber pro cedure or the Chemo med's are
given to drinkers....so I'm really glad I quit decades ago.
Old 08-04-2012, 06:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Interesting responses.

Zee, I don't bruise easily, I bleed under the skin on both my arms and legs. The last time I shaved, my legs looked like I had the measles. I have complained to my PCP about this and her explanation was that there is not much fat on my legs.

Hypochondriac, with your neuro symptoms, were they episodic (lasting a few weeks into months and then clearing) or were they present daily once they appeared?

It was only the neuro-oncologist who ever asked me about my drinking. My disclosure on paper, while lower than my actual drinking, was always high enough to be a red flag. I think subconsciously I was trying to let them know the truth, but not the whole truth. When the neuro-oncologist talked to me, he said that usually people who disclose that much drinking are usually drinking much more. I had said 3 to 5 drinks and confessed it was more like 4 to 6 drinks.

I cried during that visit. Firstly, because it hurt to know that my behavior could be the cause of problems and it was my beautiful brain. I think tears also came from relief that my problem was out in the open, staring me hard in the face.

Last night was the final night of tapering. I had my first drink at 6:15 and measured it out with a shot glass for one ounce. Second drink was at 8:30, same thing. The rest of the bottle has been poured down the drain and there is no booze in the house!

Here's to the start of a new life!
Old 08-04-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Mainly episodic but with a few lasting problems...

Good luck in your new life It does get better x Do you have support other than SR? x
Old 08-04-2012, 07:58 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

In your case drinking 3-5 units a day really isn't that much and likely wasn't cause for concern.

However I do agree with your view on doctors and alcohol. I saw 3 separate doctors over a year or so and all ask the questions of "do you drink, how much do you drink, drugs, smoking etc,..." When they would ask about the alcohol, I would tell them "about 10-12 a day" all three doctors seemed not to care, but when asked if I smoked I would say "lightly, and just when I drink. Maybe a pack a week if that" and would get read the riot act on how smoking is horrible, I need to stop right away, if I wanted a prescription to stop etc,...

One I asked flat out "Isn't that a concern to you with all the alcohol intake?" Her response was "that is pretty high,.." and just shrugged a bit.

The same when I was in the ER. When I was discharged, I was given some information on alcohol abuse which was only a couple pages long, but one on smoking that was damn near a phonebook.
I think the whole medical field seems to be very poorly informed about alcoholism and all the horrible health effects that come with it, which is pretty surprising and shocking at the same time.
Old 08-04-2012, 08:19 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

My doctor never asked about my drinking, I told him. His response was sort of "well, that explains a couple of things."

He recently retired, and I miss him, we had a great rapport.

So now I have a new doctor. I told her of my alcohol struggles during our intial visit, she thanked me. (She already knew, she had my records in front of her, I think she just appreciated my honesty).

I've reached the point in life where I don't give a rip about sharing anything with the medical community. I want to live a long time, hiding stuff is not going to help me achive that goal.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I've had a doctor say that "if drinking was helping to control my anxiety, then he couldn't prescribe anything better." Then I got my bloodwork done and the ggt and ferritin were so off the scale he thought I was a drug user and contracted Hep C. Once he learned how much alcohol I was consuming, he told me my demise was inevitable. At the end of the day, you have to be honest with yourself. The numbers don't lie