Notices

Gave in and drank

Old 07-29-2012, 08:24 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Gave in and drank

Hi all, I'm new here and came across this site looking for info. I have been sober since March 2011 but last night I gave in. This morning I awake with all the jitters,anxiety and depression that I use to have everyday before when I was drinking on a daily basis..Just trying to be strong and fight off the urge to have another beer to kill the anxiety..I forgot how bad this feeling was!!
Old 07-29-2012, 08:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Sorry to hear about your recent troubles with drinking. Welcome to SR. I hope you can quickly re-discover the freedom from alcohol we have when we choose sans-alcohol living. Any ideas on how and why you returned to drinking last night?
Old 07-29-2012, 08:50 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Easyrider. Do you know what caused your relapse? Maybe you can pinpoint some stressors, complacency, or events that brought it on? I hope you get right back with your program. I relapsed in September of 2006 after over 6 years of sobriety & went on a 4.5 year bender. Horrific stuff. Please don't be me. Thankfully sober 16 months now.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I've just been depressed by the way home life has been with the wife, and its been over a year since I drank before and I guess I'd just forgotten how bad the anxiety was after drinking..A friend stopped over with a 12 pack and thats all it took..I guess I had thought I'd beat the thing considering there has been a untouched bottle of rum in the house for 6 months..
Old 07-29-2012, 09:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Yikes! Dinner guests at my home are welcome to bring wine, but my buddies know that bringing a dozen brews over for an evening's entertainment will get them a raincheck, even if they are at the door.

You know that there is no problem so bad that it can't be made so much worse by drinking. You know what to do. Back to your vow of abstaining, and best to you.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you using any tools to help your recovery or did you just decide not to drink? Sometimes using the tools that are available can help us avoid relapse. Of course, finding SR is one tool already. We're glad you are here!
Old 07-29-2012, 09:24 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I went to a few meetings at AA with a friend, and I need to add its the same friend who brought the brews last night.. I just felt to proud to go to AA meetings and I quit all on my own, the first month was terrible but after that it seemed to be going great only had occasional urges to drink..Whenever I got the urge I'd just remind myself of how it was before, I was so bad before that I'd literally sold everything I had to feed my fix for the day..And now over a year later I've replaced everything I sold for beer,so I just got to keep reminding myself.. I think its time I go fire up the coffee pot since that has helped so far..Just curious did anyone else replace alcohol with coffee? I never drank coffee in my life till I quit drinking now its turned into a 2 pot a day habit!!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That's one of the messages that gets repeated a lot in AA meetings-- that we can easily come to a point at which we feel like we have it all "under control" and that these are dangerous times. I find that sharing with other alcoholics and listening to their stories helps me a lot in terms of figuring out what I don't have to re-invent when it comes to my own recovery.

Coffee has been a staple of my life since I was a tiny little thing, so can't help you there!
Old 07-29-2012, 10:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

No coffee for me thanks....I'm a Iced Tea person...

Thanks for joining our recovery community...
Welcome
Old 07-29-2012, 01:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

there has been a untouched bottle of rum in the house for 6 months..

If it were me, I'd get rid of the rum ASAP. It may have been untouched for 6 months, but now that you've reopened Pandora's box . . .
Old 07-29-2012, 01:38 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Today is a new day, maybe get rid of the alcohol in the house too! SR has helped me during stressful times.
Old 07-30-2012, 01:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
instant

welcome. I hope you can back on track
Old 07-30-2012, 01:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Administrator

some great advice here easyrider
A lot of us learn to our cost how relentless this addiction is....

Glad you're working on getting back on the right road...my advice, from my experience, is make a plan and follow it through

Welcome to SR
Old 07-30-2012, 02:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I've replaced alcohol with coffee. It's only been about 3 weeks sober, but been drinking coffee when I get cravings. Hopefully I can kick that too when I get by the first couple of months. Sorry to hear about your relapse, but I'm sure you'll get back on the straight and narrow. If you post on here when your at your weakest I'm sure people will do there best to help, I know it helped me.
Old 07-30-2012, 04:16 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe reduce the coffee? 2 pots is a lot and can create some anxiety. Drink more water and eat well. Maybe listen to xa-speakers.org I just heard a speaker:
adam-g-tfl200932.mp3
» Adam G. from Saint Paul, MN speaking on the topic of "Roadblocks to Recovery" at The Firing Line Group of Alcoholics Anonymous in Saint Paul, MN «
XA-Speakers - The lights are on!
Who stayed stopped by going to meetings, but was full of anxiety until he finally worked the program of AA (the steps).

Just one option for you. Maybe get to the AA meeting without your friend?

I wish you well! Just start again, you can do it!

Hugs & love,
Old 07-30-2012, 06:38 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by easyrider73
Just curious did anyone else replace alcohol with coffee? I never drank coffee in my life till I quit drinking now its turned into a 2 pot a day habit!!
I replaced alcohol with tea personally, more relaxing.

I was a caffeine junky long before I started drinking heavily though. 2 pots is what, 2L? That sounds like a lot, it's about 800-1200mg caffeine/day. If I recall correctly, doctors say 500mg/day is a good consumption level. If it's decaf though (or part of it is), drink away.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:39 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well just a update, I made through yesterday and last night with no drinking. Woke up today feeling good again.. I can't figure out why the next day after drinking I have this intense anxiety ALL day long. It usually takes 1-3 days for the anxiety to pass depending on how much I consume.. You'd think the anxiety afterwards would be enough to keep me from relapsing..Oh well today is a brand new day all I can do is start fresh. Thanks again everyone for your replies!