Notices

I want to have a Beer right now

Old 07-29-2012, 03:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to have a Beer right now

This feeling sucks.....big time. It seems that cravings are getting worse with each passing day instead of better. I hope this eases up at some point...at least there is no Beer in my house right now or I may slip. Wish me luck
Old 07-29-2012, 03:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck 4mykids. Go out for a walk or a drive. Listen to some tunes. If you've got kids, play a game with them. Think of other things to do right now and the urge will go away.
Old 07-29-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thats all they are is cravings, just let them crash and fade away.

Ride em out, take great joy in punishing them by NOT drinking .
Old 07-29-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

They do pass, 4mykids. Posting here is one way of getting rid of them. And believe me, they do get less as time goes on. Maybe not at first, but they do get less.
What are your plans for securing your sobriety?
Old 07-29-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you tried this 4mykids?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

D
Old 07-29-2012, 07:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I sure hope you did remain sober and yes early sobreity is difficult.

Here is another link with my expereinces with cravings

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...xpereince.html
Old 07-29-2012, 07:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sobriety date 12/19/2011

I would go to an AA meeting as soon as possible if I were craving. If I couldn't, then I would read the Big Book until the feeling went away and call someone that is sober. It was really important for me to keep close contact with everyone in AA, especially for the first 4 - 5 months.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks all. I was able to resist, read from The Small Book as well as read some Buddhist material as well. AA is not an option for me but thanks for all of the great advice. I appreciate it.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi 4mykids When I get a craving I always play the whole scenario through. I don't allow myself the luxury of stopping with the first mind-easing sip though. Gotta go all the way through the blackout, the carelessness, the sickness, the needing a drink to get through the morning, the bloat, the shakes, the wrecks... Playing it through helps me Get Real.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

4mykids, many go through a physical withdrawal as the body recalibrates and accommodates the lack of this cns depressant, and this takes a week or two. During this time, the normal processes reestablish themselves and slowly return to normal no-alcohol function.

I also went through a period during my early sobriety similar to what you are describing. I decided that this was my brain recalibrating, getting those brain chemicals back on an even keel. It was part of withdrawal, and becoming healthy again.

What if this means you are precisely where you should be right now? What if these thoughts you have are the sign that you are making great progress? Maybe those thoughts are just that AV starting to feel the pinch, telling you that if it keeps pushing you, you just might have a drink, and stop this silly sobriety business. That self doubt is not from you, the self doubt comes from the voice of your addiction, and you know what to do about that. You no longer drink, no matter what that AV says to you.

You are doing great, 4mykids. Perfect, in fact.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks again. Seems I am on the correct path and have simply stumbled upon some overgrown thorn bushes..
Old 07-29-2012, 08:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
~sb

Try writing a journal. My cravings came when I had emotions I didn't want to have. It helped me a lot.

Glad you stayed sober today!!

Hugs,
Old 07-30-2012, 05:27 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I like your signature file, 4mykids. We need to be gentle and caring with ourselves, especially now.

Sometimes I just need a vacation from this business. I'm fine, I know I will be fine, but I need a breather. So I have a mindfulness moment. And a mango, I love mangoes.
Old 07-30-2012, 06:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Peace, Love, Sobriety

You don't want a beer, your brain is just telling you that you want one, but deep down you truly don't. I know its hard, but you gotta try to tell those voices off when they occur.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

My cravings come in the evening and I remind myself how disappointed, regretful, and sad I'd feel in the morning if I gave in. I've been reading a LOT!!! I read in the evenings now and it keeps my mind engaged. Never read so much in my adult life (Under the Influence, Beyond the Influence, Hunger Games, The Help, Divergent and Insurgent-These last 2 books have worked wonders for my sense of bravery and letting go of the fear.) When I wake up in the morning, I'm rewarded with this feeling of "I made it!!!" Each morning, I wake up with that feeling and it reinforces my strength 12 hours later when it gets to be that time of the day. That feeling in the morning far outweighs any "relief" alcohol could give me in the evening.

Good luck to you!!!