Notices

What exactly is involved in an "assessment?"

Old 07-26-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What exactly is involved in an "assessment?"

Apologies if there is information on this elsewhere—I searched this forum (though not others) and couldn't find anything that dealt with this question specifically.

As a first step, I have made an appointment for an hour long assessment/general consultation at a well-respected drug/alcohol treatment facility in my area.

I was wondering what I can expect from/at this consultation, just in general.

I'm also wondering when they make their recommendation if there will be any consideration or flexibility around my financial situation. For example, I flat out cannot afford either the inpatient or outpatient recovery program if that's what they recommend (I tend to doubt that it will be given my current level of drinking, but I am also well aware of the fact that I may be fooling myself.) Yes, yes, I know that you can't put a price on getting better and self improvement. But I also know that when you have a very limited salary and student loans to pay off, you sort of can put a price on it, and $6,000+ is the cut off point.

In any case, I would love to hear thoughts/feedback from anyone who has been through this step.
Old 07-26-2012, 07:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Gee I never had one so no expereince from me.
Good to know you are exploring options...

When I wanted to quit drinking...I went directly to AA
It's been working well for me for decades now.

Wishing you all the best
Old 07-26-2012, 07:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Smile

I took an assessment years ago (may be 16 years ago) -- I don't remember all the details. There were lots of questions, some seemingly the same with different wording. I filled out the answers on one of those cards that you fill-in the bubble.

After they went over it, they confirmed with me that I had a drinking problem. I don't recall if they said "Yes, you are an alcoholic". I don't really know.

In reality, I knew I had a problem with alcohol and I think what I was hoping to hear was that the alcohol wasn't the root of my problems. I had other problems too, many of which were a direct result of my drinking, and I was sure those were the things that needed to be fixed.

I never went back to that counselor again. I didn't get the answers I wanted. I didn't seek out any other kind of help either. I just kept on drinking. It wasn't a conscious thing, it's only after looking back on it that I can see that.

I'm not saying this is what will happen with you. I only want to share my experience with you.

I was lucky enough to be able to go to rehab (twice). It did help me to learn a lot about myself but that's not what keeps me sober today. Like Carol, AA has been working for me for a while now. My life is different in a way that I could have never imagined.

Good luck to you!
Old 07-26-2012, 12:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had an assessment just last year. Got a short tour of a facility and sat down for about an hour to answer a litany of questions about myself. You have to be brutally honest with a total stranger, but you may as well, or why the hell are you there? So after the consultation, the "assessor" makes recommendations for treatment. I don't recall accounting for finances at the time, but I'm sure that is something that can be brought up. Anyway, its a fairly painless experience. Just be as honest as possible. And Good luck!
Old 07-26-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Desert...Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum....

Thanks for shareing your expereince with us....
I do hope you are doing well with your new beginning ..
Old 07-27-2012, 04:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ha! The last assessment I had was two and a half years ago while I was appealing my sentence. I was already sober for mare than two years, involved with the local 12 step programs, employed, and not in any trouble. So with all that and a 20 minute interview it was recommended that I need 36 weeks of group and one on one counseling. That lasted about 4 weeks when the director asked ME to come in on my lunch hour to talk to a group she was having trouble getting through to. All of a sudden I was cured..... Be very careful of assessments. Only you and God know the truth. Just sayin.....
Old 07-27-2012, 04:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

i had one ordered by the courts. even though it showed i had a drinking problem, i didnt admit it at the time. took a few more years before that happened.

ya may want to look into AA. it is free and helped me get sober and improve myself.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I've had a few over the years. It's just lots of questions about your drug/alcohol usage. How much, when, where, that sort of thing. Also family history, medical history, etc.

Many rehabs have "scholarship" type deals available. And depending on your situation, you may qualify for some sort of public assistance as well. The folks at whatever center you're checking out will know all the ins and outs of that and will be able to guide you through it.

A medically supervised 28 day inpatient stint runs $20 - $30k. Just FYI.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:32 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
DAB

Skip the middle man, and save yourself a lot of time and money. If you think you need an assessment, then you have already assessed yourself. Just go to AA and take it from there. AA has saved my life in more ways than one.
Old 07-27-2012, 07:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Ben -- Let us know how things go and welcome to SR!
Old 07-27-2012, 08:05 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Actually they assess how much money they can get out of you. Just having to be "assessed" is enough to know you need help. Just sayin...
Old 07-28-2012, 11:01 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Done right, a chemical dependency assessment can be an important first step. If you have health insurance, this may be a prerequisite for more structured therapy (in my case, outpatient).

I wasn't ready for AA but I was ready for an EAP visit and outpatient therapy. Then I started AA with a better acceptance that I am an alcoholic.

Dave