Notices

Morning check in....

Old 01-12-2004, 09:59 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

A great wave of sadness has engulfed my daughter, and my son is fraught with anger. Colts? Eagles? Panthers?! Patriots?!?!
What will they do now?
Oh, well.
Good morning anyway, everyone.
Don S
Old 01-12-2004, 10:01 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Chy

Moot start a thread in the new forum for Nicotine addiction.... yea.. yea.. good idea!
Old 01-12-2004, 10:04 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

OMG THERE'S A NEW FORUM FOR NICOTINE ADDICTION! ::::::: bows to chy bows to chy :::::::::::
Old 01-12-2004, 06:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Chy

Yup Don, hubby still pouting over the Packers loss!
Old 01-13-2004, 07:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Good morning!
Our gorgeous weather has been replaced with foggy drizzle. I have firmly decided not to let it dampen my mood and will instead look ahead to the next sunny day for contrast.
Here's an article for Moot--it's interesting to me the parallels between smoking and alcohol, yet how differently we treat them culturally and legally. I don't see drinkers huddled outside in small groups, furtively pursuing their habits. I'm the only non-smoker (and now, non-drinker) in my family; my mother has just recently beat throat cancer and my father STILL smokes (even around her).
Try reading the article with 'drinking' in place of 'smoking'....
Don S

To Stop Smoking, Address Need for Nicotine
By Richard Restak
Neurologist and Neuropsychiatrist
From the Washington Post

American cities and counties are falling over themselves to enact laws aimed at prohibiting smoking in public places. Such efforts seem well intentioned. Yet modern brain research indicates that they are misguided--that is, if the goal is the eventual elimination of smoking in our society.

The simple truth is that smoking will always be with us, because it satisfies something in our brains. And try as we might, and legislate as we might, we cannot free ourselves from our physiology. We can't bootstrap ourselves beyond our brains.

For centuries, smoking has persisted despite unbelievably harsh efforts to eliminate it. A case in point: In 17th Century Russia, the punishments included slitting the smoker's lips, flogging, castration, and (for the lucky ones) exile. And yet, as anyone who's been to Moscow lately knows, Russians did not forsake tobacco.

So why do people continue with the habit that King James I of England, no less, decried 400 years ago as "loathesome (sic) to the eye, harmefull (sic) to the brain and dangerous to the lungs"?

The facile answer is that smoking is an "addiction." And this is undoubtedly true among some heavy smokers who, despite horrendous physical costs including the loss of limbs and incapacitating pulmonary disease, continue their tobacco habit. But to define every smoker as an "addict" is to miss the fact that our brains contain receptors for nicotine, the primary chemical responsible for tobacco's effects.

Nicotine acts like a neurotransmitter at the synapse between nerve cells. After an initial stimulation, nicotine blocks the synapse, which slows the circulation and the delivery of blood to the brain, thereby inducing a sedative effect. This is the basis for smokers' claims that they need a cigarette to "calm the nerves." Nicotine also increases concentration and focus.

Recently neuroscientists have come up with new evidence of the beneficial effects of nicotine. According to several studies, nicotine can improve memory and may offer some protection from the ravages of Alzheimer's and Parkinson's diseases. Another study suggests that nicotine can help people diagnosed with hypothyroidism by improving memory and learning. Even more promising is cotinine, one of nicotine's breakdown products. It, too, has recently been shown to improve memory, learning and concentration. Thus it could prove helpful for attention-deficit disorder, dementia and everyday problems with forgetfulness.

So should we all take up smoking? Of course not. I am not a smoker; nor do I advocate smoking. Its harmful effects on the lungs and other organs far outweigh its benefits. But nicotine's effects on the brain make it highly unlikely that prohibitions against smoking, no matter how severe, are ever going to work. That's because at least for some percentage of the population, the need for nicotine is compelling.

So instead of enacting laws and administering punishments, we would be better advised to fund research aimed at the development of nicotine-like analogues that can provide the benefits of nicotine--without the drawbacks.
Old 01-13-2004, 08:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Awwww, Don! *So* sorry to hear about your weather! NOT! I was getting a little tired of sunny gorgeous days there! :p I suspect it's not super warm though, like southern CA.

just kidding, of course. Cloudy, gray, cold here. nothing new. and no snow to play in either!!!!! What's up with mother nature? What's she doing? Drinking?

I'm having an ok day - except I'm procrastinating on things I know I need to do and am going to be p.o.ed at myself later if I don't get them done. So, as soon as I get done checking in here, I'm going to make my list, and get going!

Bai Bai,
-j
Old 01-13-2004, 12:17 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Wow Don, that was an incredible reply! Not going to let my s/o see it because she might use it as an excuse for her to smoke again. She's having a VERY rough time of it...... I don't know if she'll make it. I'm enjoying, however, the smoke free environment for now..... I'm a major asthmatic and her smoking really messes with my breathing.

THe weather here is sunny but cold. I don't know how cold, probably in the 30's (don't have a thermometer and there's no news on today)

I'm doing OK today, in better spirits than usual (as you can tell by this unusually long post). That might change when my s/o metamorphs into a rattlesnake due to nicotene withdrawal. I think I'll withdraw to the living room and watch TV (I have Stargate reruns taped, yippee) and leave the computer room to aforementioned s/o.
Old 01-13-2004, 12:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Good Morning all!

Oh! Don, how good was the post re smoking! I do wish i could stop! I figured , if I could stop the booze ( 84 days) surely I could stop the smoking , but i have not suceeded.

I am not having a very good couple of days, I am having prob;ems with my fear of rejection, and my judgemental attitude ,but I am praying for a solution, and trying to be patient , sigh

Lovely summer weather over here , I am off to walk the dog , or more to the point , be walked by the dog

have a great day

HUGX Lee
Old 01-13-2004, 02:39 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Chy

Oh Don I REALLY wasn't ready for that!! Gee.. what to do what to do... this addiction is hard... but then if I'm honest I'm also not ready. I know it needs to be done!

Hi Lee!

Moot I hope J get's through it this time!

All others... hope your well!

Gianna... where are you?
Old 01-14-2004, 06:33 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Morning Don, Lee, chy, Moot,

How is everyone?
Lee, I hope you are feeling better. I know it doesn't help when the *dog* wants to walk *you*! Hugs to you dear! Do your daily affirmations, ok? You'll get through it. You are doing great with 85 days. Save the quitting smoking until you get a good handle an your sobriety. one thing at a time.

I'll admit, I didn't read the smoking article don posted yet(sorry). I'm not a smoker, and did not want to take the time yesterday. maybe today.

Hang in there all, have a great day!
-j
Old 01-14-2004, 07:44 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi, folks,
I look at our drizzly weather in the 50's, and then the forecast for the Nor'east (highs BELOW zero) and figure we can count our blessings out here! Melbourne sounds lovely right about now--what are you, mid - 80's (F)?
I am glad I never took up smoking. Surrounded by smokers as a teen, it just disgusted me to always be breathing it and smelling like it. Now why, oh why, didn't I develop that same attitude about my parents' drinking? Who knows. That is certainly another long debate....

But one way to look at that article I posted is to realize the simple physiology of what is going on when you quit any substance. One advantage, if you can call it that, with cigarettes is that nicotine itself isn't particularly harmful. Like small amounts of alcohol, there may even be some health benefits. But a classic cost-benefit analysis tells you that cigarettes themselves are very harmful (at least people aren't debating that anymore!). So the patches, gums, and other products help provide the benefits while you get rid of the tar, smoke, etc.

But watching my dad try to quit a couple of times, it was obvious that the behavior part--what to do with his hands, the effects on his digestion, the little rituals that went along with smoking--was a huge part of the problem. That part, in my opinion, was mostly psychological. So, like drinking, there's the physical part and the mental/emotional part. As to which is more difficult, I assume that varies from person to person.

The other thing I noticed when he tried to quit was that his grouchiness affected everything and everyone, so good luck Moot! I've heard smoking is harder to quit than drinking.

Day 85--congratulations!
Old 01-15-2004, 11:40 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Gday all,

Just read the article re: smoking. Hmmm, interesting. I had not idea that nicotine had any positive effects. Perhaps explains why my dad - who is 67 - has been smoking since he was 14. And has quit many times too. He definitely had to replace the behavior with something the many times he tried to quit. but, he's addicted, and he enjoys it. I worry about him though. Big drinker, smoker, refuses to go see a doctor about a strange mole he's got, despite my sister's and my urging him to go.
I guess you could replace "smoking" with "drinking" in the article, and see the similarities. We tried prohibition, and *obviously* that did not work. Trying to ban smoking in all public places???That's pretty insane. Bars would go out of business. (Hey, wait a minute....)

Well, I'm a bit tired today. kind of in one of those blah poor me modes. No worry though, I'll get through it. I think I need a nap.

Hope everyone else is doing ok.

-jay
Old 01-15-2004, 11:57 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Well, I'm checking in - doing okay - and just want to say:

GO NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS!!!!!!!!!!!!! Here we come Houston!!!

Oh yea - and IT'S CCCCCCCCCOLD Here!!! Right now it's -15 w/wind chill!!!!!!!!!! Supposed to be
-30 tonight with wind chill. AGH!!!!!!!!
Old 01-15-2004, 01:12 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

just checking in here too..... doing ok, its cold outside, not balmy like it is in calif! Loox askance at Don (jealous jealous jealous)
Old 01-15-2004, 01:20 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Chy

Wow, guess what it's actually dreary, drizzley, and very wet here in the desert. I absolutly love it. We haven't had rain in nearly 3 months if that! So I'm really enjoying this winter weather in the Sun City!

Hugs all!
Old 01-15-2004, 01:30 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

send your (usual) sun this way....... its COLD and looks like snow!
Old 01-15-2004, 02:47 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally posted by Jayhay
Gday all,

snip

I guess you could replace "smoking" with "drinking" in the article, and see the similarities. We tried prohibition, and *obviously* that did not work. Trying to ban smoking in all public places???That's pretty insane. Bars would go out of business. (Hey, wait a minute....)

-jay
Actually, smoking has been banned in all public places in California for a while now, including bars. A few of them became 'smoking clubs' instead; the others just grumbled and went along with it. Funny thing--drinkers kept on going in and drinking.... I encounter second-hand smoke so rarely now that it startles me when it happens.
Now there's a move afoot to ban smoking on beaches (because of the butts--cigarette ones, that is), and in our little college town it is banned 20 feet from any open doorway! That puts you out in the street in some parts of town....
Don
Old 01-15-2004, 03:17 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Wow, that's great, Don.
In Madison it was a battle to ban smoking in restaurants several years ago. The business had to do the majority of it's business serving alcohol to continue to allow smoking. Thus, bar& grill type places still have smoking allowed. Smoking is banned indoors, at any public place, of course. Strange to imagine when I was a kid my parents could smoke at the movie theater!

We went to visit some friends in NC a few years back, and it was odd to be asked "smoking or non?" at a restaurant again. And even more funny, was that the non-smoking section was the *small* area at the back of the restaurant! When smoking was allowed in restaurants here that section was always the smaller section removed from the rest of the place. Must be because of the area - big tobacco growers there.

At the bars there, do the smokers go outside to smoke, or what? It seems so odd to go to a bar - and it *not* be smoky. My husband and I recently saw some live music at a club and I couldn't believe how smoky it was. either the college crowd smokes more than they used to, or I was just not used to it. So, do these "smoking clubs" still serve alcohol?

Hey, I'd love some warm sun here. But I know that ain't gonna happen. How 'bout some snow so we can at least have some fun here....we had little snow last winter, little rain last summer......Farmers are going to be hurting this year. Last summer the corn stalks were brown and dry by mid-august, whereas they are usually lush and green well into Sept.

Uh - Louise - Ahem....Patriots?????? puh-lease!
Just kiddin' ya of course. I just don't know who to root for now that the Pack is out. (grumble grumble *&#$&#*!Sherman#@$#@Favre$@%$!%@##!)

Glad you are back here Louise, nice to see you again.

guten abend,
-jay