Notices

Morning check in....

Old 01-09-2004, 11:14 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Morning check in....

Hi, Chy, Gianna, Anna, Moot, Wiebe, and all the others,

One of the things that got lost when the thread with Wiebe' name on it got locked was the daily communication that I believe is very important in maintaining sobriety and motivation.

I believe folks who are choosing sobriety, have chosen sobriety, or are struggling with sobriety benefit from sharing their ups and downs, their lapses and successes--small and large--and what Gianna called the exigencies of our lives that affect our sobriety.

I believe communication is nearly always helpful, and that just checking in daily is a simple but useful tool for all of us. There are some interesting threads developing, but I believe none has replaced that daily check in.

So, how is everyone doing today?
Don S
Old 01-09-2004, 11:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Don I am doing good and just observing for the time being. I alway's looked forward to peeking in and seeing what was going on, on "our" thread. I hope we can continue as usual and things get back to some sort of normality ( is that a word Ms. Editor?) around here.

Glad you checked in and I'll continue to do so!
Old 01-09-2004, 11:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Great idea. I do like to have a place to "check in" each day and share how my day is going, or how the previous evening was. Thanks, Don for wisely suggesting this.

So, I'm at day 13, and looking forward to a full weekend of my son's birthday, first sleep-over, making pizza and and cake, family visits, and of course - the Packer's game on Sunday. No beer.

Now, I've got to go to the grocery store - again. No beer/wine aisle for me! I talk to myself a lot in the store these days.

Take care,
-jay
Old 01-09-2004, 02:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good Morning all

may I check in here as well? I usually check SR first thing every morning to see what you all have been up to while I was asleep, and it would be nice to have a regular check in point !

HUGX

Lee
Old 01-09-2004, 03:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally posted by Jayhay
Great idea. I do like to have a place to "check in" each day and share how my day is going, or how the previous evening was. Thanks, Don for wisely suggesting this.

So, I'm at day 13, and looking forward to a full weekend of my son's birthday, first sleep-over, making pizza and and cake, family visits, and of course - the Packer's game on Sunday. No beer.

Now, I've got to go to the grocery store - again. No beer/wine aisle for me! I talk to myself a lot in the store these days.

Take care,
-jay
When I see folks muttering in the wine aisle, I figure they're probably kindred spirits (or delusional, and that's close to kindred...). My daughter's rooting for the Packers too....hope they win so she isn't grumpy!
This thread's for everyone, Lee! Thanks for posting.
Don
Old 01-09-2004, 03:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Chy

Packer fan's here as well.. hubby MUCH more so then me.. I have to endure each game with a total rearrangement of my living room and ALL the blasted memorobila that lingers through out the house placed all around the big screen like a shrine!!! When he put a cheesehead hat on me that was the last straw!

So yea.. " go pack"..
Old 01-10-2004, 10:08 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi, all,
It's an utterly gorgeous, sparkling winter day here in Northern California. The kind that would have been wasted under a hangover. Another teenage sleepover last night, some quick doughnuts on the way to work. My son is thrilled with my tolerance for spontaneous sleepovers--I was never noted for my spontaneity when I was drinking. My tolerance for his music is waning, but I do notice the rats seem to be leaving the attic as he blasts the volume....

Hey, jay, de-linking alcohol from sports must be a challenge considering the billions the breweries spend to persuade us otherwise. Congratulations, and best wishes dealing with the hyper kids.

How's it going, Gianna? and everyone else?

Don S
Old 01-10-2004, 10:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

It's going OK here, my usual kinda blahness.

My s/o just quit smoking so I'm waiting for the fallout

Oh yeah... today is my 3 month.
Old 01-10-2004, 10:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Good Morning!

Well, here I am at 5 am , AGAIN!. Still havent quite got the sleep mastered yet, waking at odd hours during the night , but never mind I guess " this too will pass" lol. Thank goodness for living alone , no one to disturb !

I am on 3 days off Yipee! Gosh, I remember the first beer free days off, and how terrified I was , what a change . beautiful summer weather here at the mo, and I would have missed it ! We are in daylight saving now, so it is just getting light , and the birds are waking up.

81 days today . Went to a good meeting yesterday, one I had never been to before, so met some new people , and enjoyed .

The " Spotted One" is still in bed , but will be demanding his walk shortly, bit taxing on the sore legs, but I hope to have that sorted soon, went to the Doc yesterday , and was very honest , she was very encouraging regarding my recovery , which was good .

Can I air my ignorance , and ask who, or what , the Packers are ?

Well, I'm off to read the posts , have a great day

HUGX

Lee
Old 01-10-2004, 10:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi,

I feel the adrenalin rushing as I prepare for family visitors, and later....the kids!!! I'm going to have to do some meditation or Tai Chi or something. Haha - haven't done Tai Chi for a few years, don't know if I'd remember the the positions and movements. When I did do it, I found it to be an extremely powerful exercise. I always felt clear and relaxed, which is its goal in part, I believe. I would like to get back into that.

Detaching alcohol from sports won't be a big deal, really. My husband doesn't drink much - thank goodness, and we don't go to the live games often. I used to go to a lot of Brewer's games when I lived in Milw. - about 1 mile from the stadium - and my friends and I would drink a lot. (That was back in the 80's when they were worth watching ) I think it more a matter of me just not having beer or wine in the house - period - and getting rid of the expectation to sit down and relax with bottle in hand in the evening hours.

Northern CA is beautiful, ain't it? Our best friends lived in Crescent City for a while - literally blocks away from the Redwoods Nat'l Park. We would go to the Smith River often when we visited there, and down to Eureka and Arcata. Are you near there, Don?

Hi Chy - What is you hubby doing with a cheesehead hat down there in TX? LOL pretty amusing. I thought you'd be Dallas fans! My students used to *love* the Cowboys - until the packers won the superbowl....um...several years ago. Now they are mostly Packers or Bears fans.

Phew. I think I'm calming down not. Presents are wrapped, foods ready, I need to turn my mind on "slow."

Only alcohol in the house is cooking sherry, and rubbing alcohol. Those have *never* been temptations for me. My Dad will be surprised, since he is a big drinker. I'll just have to tell him that I've quit drinking. I feel ready to do that. It'll be interesting to see how he reacts.

Have a great weekend!
-jay
Old 01-10-2004, 10:44 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

LOL Lee! Good mornin' to ya!

The Green Bay Packers are a professional football (no - not *soccer*) team here in Wisconsin. Green Bay is a medium sized town - excuse me - city on Lake Michigan (ok- go get your atlas or globe ) which is their "home." I've grown up in WI so, I've always been a Packer fan - fair weather fan anyway. We are into the championship playoffs - leading up to the "Superbowl," in which the two teams from the two leagues (American Football League and National Footbal League - guys, correct me if I'm wrong) play a championship game. The Packers were kind of underdogs, and made it to the playoffs by a couple of fluky (is that a word?) plays. some say luck, some say divine intervention, some say talent. I don't care, it's just fun.

I think that Aussie's are big on Rugby?? or what? HAve a great day!
Old 01-10-2004, 10:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh yes...the Green Bay Packers...my favorite team. My first football game that my dad took me to was in 1972 in Cleveland when we lived there. It was the Browns v Packers. Of course all fans were for the Browns and I was hoping for the Packers and as I recall they won! One of the very few nice times I had with my Dad. Guess he wished his last child out of four would be a boy! Sorry Dad.

Jayhay, have a good time...sounds like you are getting everything prepared. Cooking Sherry and rubbing alcohol...yuk! Two things that I never was quite desparate enough for myself. Best thing truly is to have no alcohol in the house. I totally agree with you. You just never know.

Have fun!

Lee, has "the spotted one" arisen yet?! I love that pup! I am glad you went to the doctor. Let us know what happens.

Hey Don, I LOVE No. Cal. We take a trip to Cambria once a year and stay at Moonstone Beach. Beautiful and peaceful. Looking forward to doing it first time sober this coming April!

Off to chat.

Love,
Laci
Old 01-10-2004, 10:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi jay ! Thanks for the info! lol I just looked up all the places mentioned , I have a HUGE world map on my wall, sent to me by a chat friend in Deluth, so I can mark everyone on there !

Down here , the main football codes are , Rugby legue, or , here in my city , Australian Rules , which is huge , and very competitive . Football has finished here for the time being , as it is summer, butwill start again in April.

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-10-2004, 12:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi all just back from the gym and a beautiful day here in the Sun City. Think I will take advantage of the nice weather and go outside to wash my car.

So good to enjoy the weekends sober and hangoverless huh? Ahhh the beauty of sobriety.

Have a good one.. darn.. of to find hubbies Bret Favre jersey!... and the game isn't until tomorrow! Please let the Packers win or the rest of the day will be shot with pouty faces! *LOL*... no kidding!

Peace!

ohhhh Jay... nosiree bob! We don't even mention the "C" word around our house though most of the city are Cowgirl fans!
Old 01-11-2004, 07:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

checkin' in!

How is everyone? I'm recovering from the 7 yr. old boys club. We all had fun! I'm going to ahve to nap today before the big game. I'm surprised to see so many packer fans from all over the states! That's great.

Lee, give that spotted one a kiss for me!

Aufwiedersehen,
-jay
Old 01-11-2004, 02:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hey, jay, just wait until they're 15! They're not more mature, just bigger. And they eat more. And their taste in music changes.....but they are lots of fun.
Talk to you all tomorrow!
Don S
Old 01-11-2004, 02:39 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Good Morning all

Well, I had a lazy day yesterday, was Sunday here , lol a bit too lazy! I will have to get with the house cleaning today

I am off to have my blood tests later , so that will be a revelation! i wonder if my liver Function has improved ?

Gee, Jay , I am so glad my days of 7 yo sleep overs is over ! but Don is right , when they get bigger they EAT! My son was a cyclist , and when he was in his late teens ,I had a loungeroom floor full of dead cyclists and an empty fridge when I got home from work ! lol

Have a good one! btw Spotted says thank you !

HUGX
Lee
ps Enjoy the football, may the best team win lol
Old 01-11-2004, 02:44 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi all just popping by to say hello.

Been a great day double dose of God shot's church, meeting, then took son to see the movie "Big Fish".. I give it a thumbs up and take the keenex if you haven't gone! Need a nap, but will have to put in the ear plugs as "The Pack" is on the move and the festivities have begun here.

Have a super Sunday wha'ts left and an excellant week to come.
Old 01-12-2004, 09:00 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

boohoo. Oh my we had lots of shouting here yesterday - at the TV I mean. Darn. Oh well, on to next year.

I'm here smiling today because I have a clear head! 16 days for me.

-jay
Old 01-12-2004, 09:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

its walking on eggshells around here. My s/o is trying to quit smoking and is getting worse by the day. I move and I get barked at. She's not yet a rattlesnake but I can tell its coming. I'll be asking the Al Anons if I can post in their forum when it gets bad (that is, if she keeps to it). There is really nowhere for me to post...... I can't find a smoke-anon and I've looked.

I found a site for compulsive overeaters that might be able to help me in that regard. They have a 10:30 pm meeting that helped last night bigtime cuz that's the worst time for my compulsive overeating

So, its veeeeeeeeeeeeery quiet around here. Shhhhhhhhhhhh!