Notices

Exercising In Sobriety...

Old 07-22-2012, 10:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Exercising In Sobriety...

Just thought I would share some helpful info. I'm back to running 2-4miles per day and my anxiety and craving for booze (since my last slip) has decreased. I have had to use my "emergency meds" only a few days the last two weeks and feeling better. It's important to maintain a proper weight for health reasons. Cigarettes & food are two addictions I have never understood. I'm slowly realizing that some people feel this way towards alcoholics.
Everyone has a right to their opinion. At least those addictions do not have legal consequences.
Old 07-22-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Exercising is therapy for me.. no matter how tired, pissed off, bored, or whatever, I work out and feel 10x better every time. That does not mean I do it every day lol.. but I try to do it often as I can!
Old 07-22-2012, 01:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Walking to an AA meeting has always given me relief from my "ISM's".

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-22-2012, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to agree with flutter, working out while pushing through sobriety has been my key. I worked out often any way now without all the toxins I am pushing two-a-days a few days a week and swimming on weekends. My workouts leave me feeling like I really accomplished something and I don't want to trash it drinking.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

The way I feel after a good work out definitely keeps me motivated to stay sober. Since my recent relapse, I haven't worked out. It's been almost 2 months. I intend to get back into it very soon and hopefully get back in shape. Aside from just naturally feeling better after exercising, just the progress you can make getting healthy and fit can keep you inclined to remain in a sober lifestyle.
Old 07-23-2012, 01:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recoveringed

I agree with 2granddaughters.

I have biked or walked to the majority of my meetings from the start, and I have found that to be a real gift on the journey. I have also found that my physical fitness can have an affect on my spiritual fitness. Exercising, eating well and sleeping well all make a difference for the better. My spiritual fitness, however, is the most important thing I've got. Everything else in my life depends on it.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:42 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
High on Life

If I didn't exercise, I would probably go insane. The other day I was so overwhelmed with things going on between my partner and myself. After a 12 mile run, I felt like a million dollars. The problems were still there, but I had the strength and clarity to deal with them.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I also exercise...I walk the dog 3 times a day for at least an hour each time and I also hit the gym 3 times a week.....
Old 07-24-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stevie88 View Post
I also exercise...I walk the dog 3 times a day for at least an hour each time and I also hit the gym 3 times a week.....

Your Doing Well fella , iam keeping tabs on ya
Old 07-24-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This is very timely as today is my first day of sobriety. I am going to go home and take the dogs for a nice walk. I will add running when I think my body can handle it. I like the idea of turning my body around and living a healthy lifestyle.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I'm a newbie here but already feel welcome. While there are many helpful exersise resources, I have yet to find one more helpful than bodybuilding. I have been able to replace the time that I used to spend drunk, in the gym exercising! It's made such a positive difference.. mind and body and spirit. Plus it's guaranteed no one there is drunk!
Old 07-25-2012, 06:22 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

I have used exercise as a way to calm my anxiety during recovery. I think many would benefit from it if they tried it. Glad you have found something that works for you.
Old 07-25-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Simply Grateful

I need to exercise more. I do walk to one of my meetings and I enjoy that. My sponsor keeps wanting to drive me home and I'm like NOOOO. But I let her last week because it was raining.

Old 07-26-2012, 11:08 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You know, I stopped exercising because of some health problems, and, when I look back on it, that's when my anxiety and drinking started getting out of control. I used to go to the gym at 6:00 am, then go to work feeling great; now I never get into work before noon, and then only after having had a few drinks.

I'm going to try to get some exercise every day, even if it's only light walking.