Notices

motivation

Old 07-21-2012, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

motivation

Did anyone lose weight when they syopped drinking? Just wondering as I was hoping it would be a big motivator for me.
Old 07-21-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

I think for many, the decrease of extra calories will lead to weight loss. As for a motivation to staying sober...I don't know. Sobriety isn't a diet plan.

But whatever helps you stay on the path of recovery is a good thing, and health is a big factor. Good luck.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me the weight dropped quickly. But what's common is picking up another addiction. Mine was food and it took a lot of work to keep the weight off. This is very common when you stop drinking.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I had the opposite problem, I wasn't eating because it was getting in the way of my drinking, I still don't have much of an appetite, but I am hoping that comes back in time. I bought some vitamins and healthy food to help with it.

I did get a perma -bag under one of my eyes too, but that has cleared up.

It is amazing that I denied alcohol as the main cause of me starting to look like Skeletor. I am not a petite frame, and not naturally meant to be twig thin.

As far as motivation, I am girly, so it did help motivate me to some degree when I saw the perma-bag gone, it was nice. I am also looking forward to feeling better and becoming healthy again.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've lost some weight, especially after I eased up on candy. The weight I have has moved around a little bit to better neighborhoods. It probably would be even better if I'd quit drinking when I was still young. I guess the important thing really is that I feel so much better--it keeps me motivated.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dude in recovery

I'm down a steady 15 pounds, the weight started dropping at 4 months (I was staying physically active daily, but not following a real exercise plan). Around 8 months my weight leveled off to where I am now and it's pretty good for my size... I just need to start eating right and hit the stairs to burn off my spare tires.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

What will motivate you when you reach the perfect weight?
How will you celebrate your new slender figure?
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dropped 13 pounds so far and went from working out the few days I was't hungover to hitting it at least daily, if not twice a day a few days a week. I'm loving every bit of it, everyday sober is another day to make myself better, mentally, physically, and spiritually.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm trying to drop about 50 lbs of ego, self-will and stubbornness....

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-23-2012, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Member of SMART Recovery

I didn't lose weight but had to really change my eating habits to keep from losing.

Alcohol has lots of calories and I had to make up for that.

There are so many things to get used to, aren't there?
Old 07-23-2012, 06:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
zjw

i lost 17lbs initially and then that was that. makes no sense tom e with the sheer amt of added calories i was consuming that i wouldnt loose more. Oh well i've sinced started dieting and exercising and have managed to loose a bit more.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
For me the weight dropped quickly. But what's common is picking up another addiction. Mine was food and it took a lot of work to keep the weight off. This is very common when you stop drinking.
This was mine too. I actually gained weight when I quit and was as skinny as a rail sickly looking when I drank. Therefore, that only made quitting even harder for me because I do not want to get heavy so I know that I have got to be extremely careful with food. I love sweets (especially ice cream) and I have never really had much of a sweet tooth before. I rarely ate when I drank to obtain a better "buzz"... Is how I felt.