Notices

Social Transitioning

Old 07-19-2012, 10:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Social Transitioning

Hello,

I'm a little over a month into sobriety and my energy levels have improved. I haven't needed naps in the day and some clarity is returning. I wanted to ask for tips on socially transitioning. I live in Hollywood, CA and am young, so sober friends are hard to come by. I'm not sure if I should continue to socialize with my friends and just have water or soda or if I should seek out friends who don't need to drink in order to socialize.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I know finding new sober friends was vital for me.

So I found an AA group of mostly singles who shared my goals
and we did all sorts of interesting fun things outside of meetings.

Also...I was in Washington D.C. during early recovery...and there
were usually weekend social events ..dances...pot luck dinners
bruches to attend.

Hope you can work something out...
Old 07-19-2012, 10:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's a tough one BarFight, only you know if the temptation will be too much or not. I kept associating with most of my drinking friends but lost touch with a few. The drinking ones didn't care if I drank or not but I did find it hard to be around people when they had more than a few. I think its just one of those things where you have to "play it by ear".
Old 07-20-2012, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

I know for me there is no way in hell I can be around my friends drinking or doing drugs, maybe that will change after I am sober for a million years, but for now.. hells no!
Old 07-20-2012, 07:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I ultimately dropped all my drinking friends, as none of them were close or long-term any way. My sponsor suggested I limit my hanging out with friends who drank socially to non-drinking things like movies, etc....until after I'd completed the steps.

That neutrality concerning booze comes to us as a 10th step promise.

true friends won't mind doing some different activities or will understand why you might not show up sometimes, or leave early, etc.

Hanging with sober people shows us that we can get out in public and actually have fun without being loaded to the gills. Once I'd done the steps, I did hang out sometimes with the few drinking pals I had left, and they either integrated with the new sober friends and all hung out together, or the drinkers faded away in time.