Notices

It's a new life for sure,a sober high!

Old 07-15-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's a new life for sure,a sober high!

I have been reading this forum for the ten months that I haven't drank but I never posted before. So first a thanks to everyone,this place has really helped, especially at the p.a.w.s. times.When you can't think straight it's good to know your not cracking up. I am really enjoying being sober and the thing that gets me the most is having to learn how to live life all over.I drank from 20 to 48 and now everyday is a new experience.After all that drinking I figured I needed to know what shape I was in physically so I got checked out and to my surprise everything is working the way it should.Since I might be around in this world for a while I'd like to hear how some of you dealt with the slam-in-the-face reality that being sober brings.Boy,do I feel lucky.Thanks all!
Old 07-15-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I looked like that holdin beer

That is so awesome!!!!!! It's like you have a whole new life
Old 07-15-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I wanted to ask you if you could share with us some of the things you did to stay sober, and some of your new experiences if you don't mind. I think that would be nice to hear about and a help for me.

Thank you
Old 07-15-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Metalchick! Believe it or not,I just quit. I had been feeling bad both physically and mentally and the beer wasn't working anymore.I started drinking more but it didn't seem enjoyable for sure and I didn't feel any better so I decided to be selfish,look out for myself, and just quit. I honestly started feeling like if the drinking wasn't helping then why keep ruining my health.I think I drank to cope with things but I felt like now I could cope better if I felt better.Since then I've had the best experiences because I'm always in the moment.Sometimes it's tough not knowing how to react to things.It's like being a kid but for the first time in my life I feel I am worth whatever mistakes I make to be sober.I'm finding I don't make so many mistakes when I can think straight.For a while I had the paws symptoms but I was just good to myself and let myself get through it.I have remodeled my house to keep busy and now it seems my biggest question is what to do next. I mean in my life too.I feel I can do anything I want now.You will feel so much better if you try to be good to yourself and do what is right for you.Sorry to talk so long I just want everyone to know it's possible to feel better.I'm with all of you!
Old 07-15-2012, 03:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Still learning ! Everyday different some days Iam ok with it, some days its a real struggle.

The liberation from the cycle of drink > Death like hangovers> Dark thoughts and depression >repeat.

Sober living for me feels like someone has given me something really special.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I learned something the other day. We have a real heat wave here and I decided since I was always drinking in the past when it was hot I figured I would try something. I shut off the air conditioning,opened all the windows and laughed in the heat like a little kid.What I learned was drinking or not,hot is hot.I had a really good time.The little things can be really big if you let them.
Old 07-15-2012, 03:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

jumper - thanks for an uplifting post. Congratulations on your 10 months. I hope you'll continue to post.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to the shareing side of our recovery community...

Forward is always the correct direction...
good to see you are finding your way.....
Old 07-16-2012, 03:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jumper,
I absolutely love your attitude. I am starting to become excited about life again, myself. I can relate about not knowing how to react to things sometimes, but I am with you; at least we are not reacting to them drunk. You inspire me to do something silly and fun today just for the hec of it(after my work is done). Maybe I will go for a banana split with extra hot fudge. I haven't done that in years.
Thanks for your helpful posts. I hope you keep posting.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm glad things are working for you Metalchick.You know nothing says you can't have two banana splits!