Notices

So Tired and Sleepy

Old 07-13-2012, 10:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So Tired and Sleepy

I stopped drinking for the last two days and have never been more tired. I have not slept well, as I was used to passing out. But, now that I am going to bed sober I can’t fall asleep. I feel like have no energy and 100% tired. Thoughts?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Your body is just beginning to recover from all that damage. I'm going through the same thing. You should make yourself something to eat and maybe find something to keep you distracted. Watch some TV or call a friend.

Are you feeling shakey or anxious? Any physical symptoms of withdrawal, besides the insomnia?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yesterday I was out of it, not shaky just seemed confused. I think I am also a little dehydrated. I just can seem to keep from being tired, and then when I want to sleep I can't.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:44 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome back, walkingwithgod. Sorry to see that your ongoing struggle with drinking continued for so long after your last post.

Being tired and not sleeping is common, though I didn't suffer from it when I first quit. I had accumulated so many late nights from drinking that when I quit I crashed for about a week.

Give yourself some time to get past the withdrawls. And good luck.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Welcome back, walkingwithgod. Sorry to see that your ongoing struggle with drinking continued for so long after your last post.

Being tired and not sleeping is common, though I didn't suffer from it when I first quit. I had accumulated so many late nights from drinking that when I quit I crashed for about a week.

Give yourself some time to get past the withdrawls. And good luck.
Thanks, just no idea what I am doing. I feel lost and sad about my life and the time and money that I wasted. Glad that I have a great wife to support me. I have not really even wanted to drink, as long as I keep busy.
Old 07-13-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

This is the part where we say, "So what's your plan this time?"

I'm not going to push a particular recovery strategy on you. You can read a 1000 posts and get more than enough suggestions...all good, by the way. But whatever you were doing, if anything, isn't working.

If you want to get sober you have to make it your number one goal and EVERY day, devote time--a lot of time in the beginning--to furthering your recovery. Not drinking is step one, but in itself it is not a recovery plan.

And dash those lost and sad feelings. They will suck you back to drinking faster than boredom or any other excuse. You are on the path of recovery. That is a positive thing and moving forward from today you are walking away from the life you are sad about.

Be strong.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

It takes time..
and it won't be rushed.
Old 07-13-2012, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
Thanks, just no idea what I am doing. I feel lost and sad about my life and the time and money that I wasted. Glad that I have a great wife to support me. I have not really even wanted to drink, as long as I keep busy.
Are you attending AA meetings ??

All the best.

Bob R
Old 07-13-2012, 08:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back...

Good to know you are re starting your sobriety..and Yes!
it took me awhile to get healthy and balanced.
Old 07-16-2012, 05:12 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I had a sober weekend, but cannot get over regrets. I cannot sleep, as all I do is think about the wasted money and how I could have been a better husband. I am 34, own a home and have a super job, but just so many regrets. How can I get over the regrets. I have been a decent dad, but hate having my toddler see me drunk. Sorry to ramble.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Instead of dwelling on the bad things,make a list of the good things.
You still have your home,job,and your family. I'm sure you can add to that. You can make this the last time you have to think about regretful things. The bad things will go away with time if you stop now.
All you have to do is focus on not drinking. If you do that everything else will fall in to place. It won't happen today. It won't happen tomorrow. But it will happen.
It's kind of like saving in a bank account. It takes time and devotion to collect a large sum of money. It also takes time and devotion to make all of the bad things go away and replace them with good things.
It was very hard for me to get the monkey off of my back. But once I did and that monkey quit putting ideas into my head. Life got soooo much easier.
Fred
Old 07-16-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
How can I get over the regrets.
By keep moving forward. You had a sober weekend; sometimes you have to take the tiny positives.

There are ways to get through the wreakage of our past. And I think you know what they are. Sorry if I'm making an assumption, but you seem determined to do this on your own.

Good luck with that.
Old 07-16-2012, 06:55 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Did you honestly think you were going to live your entire life and not make ANY mistakes whatsoever?
Old 07-16-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi walking with god,

Shame can really get you down fast. And feeling down on yourself leads to drinking. So, for the time being, put those thoughts out of your mind. I would repeat to myself- "let it go". I don't necessarily mean forever, but for now. I can't erase the past but I do try not to dwell on it. My kids are 18 and 21 so they have seen and heard a lot. I'm not proud of that but I am doing what I can do NOW to rebuild our relationship. Further along in my journey, I realize that I will have to face a lot of stuff. But for now, I am able to focus on staying sober today. I wish you peace for today.

Jennikate
Old 07-16-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I have a young family and we make it each month. I just look at all the money that I wasted and hate myself so much. I wish this never happened and I have so many regrets about not preparing better financially and that was because I was a drunk.