Notices

Non-Alcoholic Beer

Old 07-09-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by pinkdog View Post
I heard that the non-alcoholic beer has some alcohol.
Most of them are .5% or lower. I believe they have to be in order to be labeled as non-alcohol. Amstel light comes in at only 3.5%. Perhaps something like that is good for those of us that are trying to ween ourselves off the sauce in order to lessen any withdrawal effects.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:41 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I drank a NA beer when I was preggers cos I thought I missed the taste.....let's just say it wasn't the taste I missed. Did nothing for me, pretty yuk in fact without the buzz.
Old 07-09-2012, 03:46 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think all of us wonder 'what the hell are we going to drink now' when we first quit, probably why this comes up so much... because so many of us use 'I like the taste' as our number one excuse. Since I had no choice about quitting and seeing as NA beers seem to be advised against, I noticed that I do actually like the taste of other drinks now and realise the whole taste thing was BS. I think it was Sapling who said...'I like the taste of ginger ale but I don't go out and drink 20 of them'! (Sorry if I misquoted).

I don't mind spending money on non alcoholic drinks now either. I always used to hate spending close to the cost of a beer for a coke, cos, y'know, for 20p more you can get drunk too! And I've noticed if I'm out for meals some people will check how much my non alcoholic drink was, and act like we've been ripped off if it was too expensive (ok, one person does that, does my head in!). But if it's just a nice tasting drink it shouldn't cost any different right? Sorry, just thinking out loud.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:03 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Zee

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
I don't mind spending money on non alcoholic drinks now either. I always used to hate spending close to the cost of a beer for a coke, cos, y'know, for 20p more you can get drunk too! And I've noticed if I'm out for meals some people will check how much my non alcoholic drink was, and act like we've been ripped off if it was too expensive (ok, one person does that, does my head in!). But if it's just a nice tasting drink it shouldn't cost any different right? Sorry, just thinking out loud.
I'm too much of a tight-wad when going out. Soda and lime all the way for me. Between 50p-£1 Burp-i-lisious! x

I think NA beer is too much of a temptation. Once you get that beer taste in your mouth with no buzz... dangerous trigger alert.

Also, does NA beer give you beer breath? I just thought of that.
Old 07-09-2012, 04:38 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I never had any problem with NA beer, but as you can see, many others have...

I've found it universally mediocre though. Not terrible, just bad enough not to be worth the expense. The only one I still drink on occasion is Laziza. I didn't like it at first, but it's what was available at my favorite lunch place and it grew on me. A bit too heavily carbonated for my taste maybe.

Funny thing is, I like it but I don't think it tastes anything like real beer.

(FWIW, I don't think Coors Light tastes anything like real beer either)
Old 07-09-2012, 04:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Most of them are .5% or lower. I believe they have to be in order to be labeled as non-alcohol. Amstel light comes in at only 3.5%. Perhaps something like that is good for those of us that are trying to ween ourselves off the sauce in order to lessen any withdrawal effects.
Tapering never worked for me, but if you're trying to taper Flintlock the best thing to do would be to get a Drs input.

Detox can really be rough - take my personal word for it - it's too important for hit and miss strategies, IMO.

D
Old 07-09-2012, 06:46 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Yeah I just drank one and a half of the NA beer. Wasn't very good at all haha. Didn't feel tempted to get something stronger or anything though. Just wanted something that tasted better so had some Diet Coke and Lime
Old 07-10-2012, 04:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

O'Doul's was the first step toward a 5 year run for me that ended in rehab, nearly losing my career, home, car and last but not least my family, and my life. Just sayin.
Old 07-10-2012, 04:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Don't do it ....

From experience, you don't want to do that, especially if Beer is your weakness. I have actually thought about trying it again, Thanks for reminding me of that pitfall.
We are cheering you on, come on, you can do this!
Old 07-10-2012, 06:35 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Location: Las Vegas, Nevada... Originally from Cincinnati, Ohio
Google NA beers containing alcohol and the dangers for alcoholics. NA beer has been said to contain up to 0.5% alcohol. Some people can do it I guess, my uncle was an alocholic and drug addict. He drinks NA beer, but only every once in a while. But I know I could never have an NA beer and not crave a regular beer.
Old 07-11-2012, 10:54 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

A few years ago after a bit of sobriety I tried NA beer. I'd drive around the countryside tossing the cans out of the window just like the old days. I thought I'd discovered something, and felt pretty smug. I don't think I made it a month before I was buying regular beer.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:12 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

THere is a small amount of alcohol in NA beer. If you are a real alcoholic I would avoid it like the plague. The little bit that is in there is plenty enough to trigger the craving.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:13 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
abc

After what I've been through, I wouldn't play around with non-alcoholic beer. Not worth the risk. I think the 0.5% alcohol would tickle my brain just enough to make me drink a whole case, attempting to chase a nonexistent buzz.
Old 07-12-2012, 07:37 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Ampsmarie View Post
Google NA beers containing alcohol and the dangers for alcoholics. NA beer has been said to contain up to 0.5% alcohol.
If I had to live the rest of my life surrounded by flammable fumes, I would not play with 0.5% matches.