Notices

Ascites?

Old 06-27-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ascites?

I am confused and hope someone can answer.

How can you tell the difference between Ascites and IBS?

I may sound stupid but I need to know the answer........both cause huge bloating in the stomach.

Thank you all x
Old 06-27-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I know what IBS is but not Ascites.

That being said you're best to talk to a doctor
Old 06-27-2012, 12:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Web Md could explain the differences.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober4myboys View Post
Web Md could explain the differences.
I tried that before posting and it is confusing?

IBS causes swelling, itching and fatigue and Ascites has the same symptoms too.

That is why I thought I would ask SR members.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lookahead View Post
I tried that before posting and it is confusing?

IBS causes swelling, itching and fatigue and Ascites has the same symptoms too.

That is why I I thought I would ask SR members.
That's also why I suggested seeing a doctor. There's a lot subject to observation by a trained professional. Not to mention the fact that from what I've seen, places like webmd have a tendancy to be exactly as you describe, confusing, unless you're a doctor yourself and can read between the lines
Old 06-27-2012, 12:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A medical doctor for sure can tell the difference. I would go see my doctor to put my mind to rest.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I dont need a Doctor, I am just asking a question folks.

I am just curious.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Ascites is excess fluid in the space between the membranes lining the abdomen and abdominal organs (the peritoneal cavity). This is typically caused by liver disease. (Web md)

IBS is pain associated with your bowels and bowel movements, affected by foods and frequency of bowel movements. So I would think the difference is ascites is associated with the fluid and is caused by liver disease. IBS is not associated directly with your liver as ascites.

This is not medical advice. Just how I interpreted the information.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Jaundice is itchy. Jaundice and ascites are both consequences of a failing liver.
Old 06-27-2012, 12:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Zee

I had ascites. 6.5 litres drained.
You will know! Believe me...!!!
Old 06-27-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Zee

Read some more of my posts if you like...
I think I gave up drinking in the nick of time (10 months sober now and still alive and feeling better than I have done in ages! All LFT levels normal now )
You can turn 9 months pregnant in a few days... not very nice at all. You don't feel full up but you can't tie your shoes. My belly button popped out and my skin was taut and veiny. I was not yellow though.
My hospital diagnosis was decompensated liver disease and atol hepatitis plus extreme malnutrition. But I am not typing this from the grave... I'm proper alive I have read that liver disease is more common in women, smaller body frame I suppose, plus, with me... I was on a bottle of cheap vodka a day with zero food. I am lucky too because I also don't have those horrible bleeding varices that don't stop bleeding (endoscopy), I am lucky... that was a wake up call!!! I hope that answers your question x
Old 06-27-2012, 01:27 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Oh that does answer my question Zee.

Must be terrible what you went through x

I have a bloated stomach ( you replyed to my post the other day about my scan) and it gets HUGE!! looks like 9 months pregnant, but then today I have had a flat stomach and no bloat?

So I get my results next week, but obviosly I am worried and looked on the webMD and looked up Ascites and IBS and the symptoms were so similar?

I itch (especially at bed time) and have bloat that comes and goes and I am SO tired all the time but I am not yellow.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I read about the PAWS symptoms... they cause itching too, repairing the nervous system. I itch and have no liver problems, and I itch all over every day, all day, evenings are worse. So the itching may be something entirely different? I hope you feel better.
Old 06-27-2012, 01:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Zee

Ha ha In my opinion... you have WIND!!!! Just my opinion, I repeat, just my opinion

I was as itchy all over after six months sober, that turns out I have hives! This is either heat difference related (was more itchy when I got in and out of bed) or stress related. Like I needed that as well! Im on antihistamines now and I am completely itch free! x
Old 06-27-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sober4myboys View Post
I read about the PAWS symptoms... they cause itching too, repairing the nervous system. I itch and have no liver problems, and I itch all over every day, all day, evenings are worse. So the itching may be something entirely different? I hope you feel better.
Oh it drives me nuts this damn itching.

I take Benadryl to relieve it every night, I am pleased that you say you have this too, I take comfort in the fact that I am not alone, and the fact that you have no liver damge and still itch.

I always think the worst and self diagnose ( i thought I had Cirrhosis when I Googled bloated stomach and itching
Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lookahead View Post
Oh it drives me nuts this damn itching.

I take Benadryl to relieve it every night, I am pleased that you say you have this too, I take comfort in the fact that I am not alone, and the fact that you have no liver damge and still itch.

I always think the worst and self diagnose ( i thought I had Cirrhosis when I Googled bloated stomach and itching

I thought the same thing lol. BUT, that's why people tell us to see a Doctor, we tend to think the worst when it may just be our bodies trying to repair after all the poisoning we have done. IMO, that is exactly what our itching is. (Mine for sure). I read that it peaks at 6 months to a year depending on the damage. I don't do Benadryl anymore because it didn't take away the itching just made me sleep. I warm shower before bed and Aveeno oatmeal bodywash helps the actual itching if your willing to try that? I am glad to have helped your nerves a bit :0).
Old 06-27-2012, 01:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Zee

Yes, the itching was so bad.... it was not like my skin was itching, but my bones were!
I used to epilate my legs to relieve it. Most people would think that doing this would be torture, but at the time... it was bliss!
When I got the prescribed antihistamines, the next day I stopped itching. It was that instant. I love my doctor! I don't love 'Dr Google'
Please let us know your results though... I'm not sure its worth worrying about it.
Old 06-27-2012, 02:02 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thanks to both of you x

I will be sure to let you know the results when i get them next week.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know y'all are checking with your doctor on medical issues..
I have chronic medical probblems that have zero to do with alcohol.

Before posting please remember our SR guideline..

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician.