Notices

Hey Everybody

Old 06-26-2012, 01:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hey Everybody

Ive been lurking awhile and feel comfortable now introducing myself. Same old problems. I started abusing substances in my early teens and in my late teens early 20s got on the hard stuff. I was a heroin junkie and did the methadone for awhile. Lots of pills too. By the grace of God I managed to get away from all that and have abstained from narcotics for over three years. Quit the cigarettes too.

I was completely clean from all substances for around two years, had a spiritual awakening and completely turned my life around...

Early last year I started drinking again occaisionally. I had a problem with alcohol all along. Mid summer my drinking got heavy and I was drinking almost every evening. I averaged over 2 fifths of scotch a week for a while and then beers. I only weigh 130. I've been slowing it down lately and getting a few days sober here and there. I would never drink at work but on days off I will sometimes drink in the mornings and all day. In one day last week I drank 17 beers and a half pint, you all know the feeling once you start you can't stop.

I have a totally obsessive addictive personality and come from a family of users. Both of my parents are passed away due to substance abuse and I have other family members still using and screwed up from it. For my health I know I need to give it up now. I've ended up in the hospital from drinking before.

I drank some yesterday but want to make today a sober one and go from there. I guess I'm looking for support or encouragement and just want to chat with sober people. Thanks and peace to you all.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You'll find a ton of support and encouragement here DalyCityTrain
Welcome!

D
Old 06-26-2012, 01:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello!

Old 06-26-2012, 02:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi there

I'm drinkin coffee and waitin for the sun to come up.
Old 06-26-2012, 02:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome I am sure SR will help you in a good way.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

The clean life is really living. Welcome.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:04 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR and thanks for sharing your story.

Do you have a plan for the upcoming days? Are you going to be able to cope alone?

SR is a great place to be for support, I'm glad you found it.

Good luck and remember you CAN do this x
Old 06-26-2012, 06:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MrsKing View Post
Welcome to SR and thanks for sharing your story.

Do you have a plan for the upcoming days? Are you going to be able to cope alone?

SR is a great place to be for support, I'm glad you found it.

Good luck and remember you CAN do this x

Thank you for your post. I do have plans for some of my free time and Ill see how it goes.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi DaleCityTrain, I am also new here. i read your post and i can feel your words. that's whats so wonderful and helpful...no matter what anyone can say or what they share, we understand. isn't that amazing? sometimes i think i might be embarrassed or hesitant to say something, then i do, and once i do, i get the total feeling of acceptance and immediately know and feel love and acceptance and never judged. i wish you a substance-free day and a good day and a God day....you deserve it!!
Old 06-26-2012, 07:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lilyrosemary View Post
Hi DaleCityTrain, I am also new here. i read your post and i can feel your words. that's whats so wonderful and helpful...no matter what anyone can say or what they share, we understand. isn't that amazing? sometimes i think i might be embarrassed or hesitant to say something, then i do, and once i do, i get the total feeling of acceptance and immediately know and feel love and acceptance and never judged. i wish you a substance-free day and a good day and a God day....you deserve it!!
Well thamk you very much. Peace to you too!
Old 06-26-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

When I walked into the rooms of AA a long time ago I was astonished when someone told me: you don't have to drink. It never occurred to me but it's true. Each day I make a decision to not drink that day. Just today I'm not drinking. And the good thing is I can start my day over when I screw up. I have over 7300 days now but I'll never take the sobriety for granted.

I know I have another drink in me but I don't think I have another recovery.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats on staying sober today.
I think one of the best ways to keep it going is to hang around folks that are sober,or trying to get sober.
Keep at it.
Fred
Old 06-26-2012, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Congrats, and welcome! Be sure to check out the Newcomers to Recovery threads too. Lots of good information. Glad you are here. We are here to help you get through this!
Old 06-26-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome and you can do it! I don't do one day at a time. I made a decision that I no longer drink. I will never drink again and I will never change my mind! Google AVRT crash course, that helped me make a decision.
Old 06-26-2012, 04:56 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank you all.

I've got one day nearly all wrapped up. Still feeling crummy from the last drink I had but tommorow will be easier. I find that if I make it through day 1, day 2 is a breeze. I tend to have problems on days four and five. Then I have a 2 day bender or whatever and drink until I'm disgusted enough to take another break. I don't know. Anyway this site is very helpful with the same sort of love I used to get when I went to meetings a few years back. Peace to all of you.
Old 06-26-2012, 06:33 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome...

I hope your de tox runs smoothly ..
Yes you can break the cycle of drinking/de toxing/sober/drinking.

I do use AA for my sucessful recovery from alcoholism
Works well for many people...why not give yourself
every chance possible?
Old 06-26-2012, 07:53 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DalyCityTrain View Post
Anyway this site is very helpful with the same sort of love I used to get when I went to meetings a few years back.
This site is helpful...But if you were getting love in past from meetings...Is there a reason you aren't going back?...I've worked the steps of AA, I go to meetings and I use this site....It's working for me...I'd be worried about alcohol taking you down that road you already got off of...Sounds like stopping now would be a real good idea for you.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome - the four to five days occurs because your brain starts to detect a chemical imbalance and needs alcohol to restore the balance. It is a powerful voice and one I am sure we all can hear.

It would be great if you had a concrete plan to maintain sobriety and I wish you the best!

Dave
Old 06-26-2012, 11:07 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've got one day nearly all wrapped up. Still feeling crummy from the last drink I had but tommorow will be easier. I find that if I make it through day 1, day 2 is a breeze. I tend to have problems on days four and five.
I'm not a heavy drinker but I get the same thing!! On the 1st day you are disgusted with alcohol, the 2nd and 3rd day you don't drink and don't have any cravings, but on the 4th and 5th day you start thinking about alcohol and have cravings again! How many days should pass from day 4 or 5 for those cravings to dissapear (or become weaker at least), that is the question!
Old 06-26-2012, 11:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
A girl can dream...

I guess everyone is different. I'm on Day 6 (1 through 5 seemed like a breeze) but tonight I just wanted a glass of wine. I wasn't thinking about it - it just came out of no where and WOULD not go away. I fought through it but it was hard. I find making a list of things to do when you get the craving helps. Anything from going for a walk, to putting on my iPod, to playing a video game helps. Just get your mind off booze and onto something distracting. PLUS come to this site anytime. There's always someone online at any time of day or night. Just try and stay strong and think about how many days you managed with no drink.

I went for six months once without drinking and it did get easier for me after the first week. Keep fighting!