Notices

Aknowledged Alcoholic!!

Old 06-11-2012, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Aknowledged Alcoholic!!

Very emotional trying to sort through everything that has happend. See the damage I've done and it only fuels me to stay sober and start my recovery. No more pointing the finger saying everyone else is the problem.?time to face the music and take responsibility for what I have created. An alcoholic... Good luck everyOne!!!
Old 06-12-2012, 12:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Good luck to you too NoPain. Just made 1 year 11 months sober. You can quit.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Nopain

I finally admitted it to myself on January 1 of this year.

I never blamed other people, I knew it was all my doing, but getting to the point you are at now is a great new beginning. I am 6 months sober now and my life is so different to what it was - and all for the better

All the best to you.
Old 06-12-2012, 02:37 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi NoPain, accepting it is probably one of the hardest things in the world. We make all kinds of excuses, look for any reason to say we aren't, go through a whole long lists of 'I do x, I don't do y.' Sooner or later, we all come up against reality.
That first step, or whatever you want to call it, is a really hard one.
I told the chemist, "Look, I want to make it clear, I don't have a problem." (pause) "Why can't I quit drinking?"
And then I heard what I'd just said.
Anyway, I'm rambling.
Good luck, and well done.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You've already made the first step in admiting you're an alcoholic.
For me that was so tough. Congratulations!
Things will only get better for you.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:41 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You are going to meet many of us who are also alcoholics on
this shareing community..welcome....
We can and do recover...so can you...
Old 06-12-2012, 09:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NoPainNoGain916 View Post
Very emotional trying to sort through everything that has happend. See the damage I've done and it only fuels me to stay sober and start my recovery. No more pointing the finger saying everyone else is the problem.?time to face the music and take responsibility for what I have created. An alcoholic... Good luck everyOne!!!
AA's "How It Works" addresses your point quite well.....

Alcoholics Anonymous - How it works

RARELY HAVE we seen a person fail who has thoroughly followed our path. Those who do not recover are people who cannot or will not completely give themselves to this simple program, usually men and women who are constitutionally incapable of being honest with themselves. There are such unfortunates. They are not at fault; they seem to have been born that way. They are naturally incapable of grasping and developing a manner of living which demands rigorous honesty. Their chances are less than average. There are those, too, who suffer from grave emotional and mental disorders, but many of them do recover if they have the capacity to be honest.

Our stories disclose in a general way what we used to be like, what happened, and what we are like now. If you have decided that you want what we have and are willing to go to any length to get it - then you are ready to take certain steps.

At some of these we balked. We thought that we could find an easier, softer way. But we could not. With all earnestness at our command, we beg of you to be fearless and thorough from the very start. Some of us have tried to hold on to our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.

Remember that we deal with alcohol - cunning, baffling, powerful! Without help it is too much for us. But there is One who has all power - that One is God. May you find him now.

Half measures availed us nothing. We stood at the turning point. We asked His protection and care with complete abandon.

Here are the steps we took, which are suggested as a program of recovery:

1. We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable.

2. Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of God as we understood Him.

4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of ourselves.

5. Admitted to God, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our wrongs.

6. Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.

7. Humbly asked Him to remove our shortcomings.

8. Made a list of all persons we had harmed, and became willing to make amends to them all.

9. Made direct amends to such people wherever possible, except when to do so would injure them or others.

10. Continued to take personal inventory and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.

11. Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood Him, praying only for knowledge of His will for us and the power to carry that out.

12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to alcoholics, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.

Many of us exclaimed, "What an order! I can't go through with it." Do not be discouraged. No one among us has been able to maintain anything like perfect adherence to these principles. We are not saints. The point is, that we were willing to grow along spiritual lines. The principles we have set down are guides to progress. We claim spiritual progress rather than spiritual perfection.

Our description of the alcoholic, the chapter to the agnostic, and our personal adventures before and after make clear three pertinent ideas:

(a) That we were alcoholic and could not manage our own lives.

(b) That probably no human power could have relieved our alcoholism.

(c) That God could and would if He were sought.

How it works - Chapter 5, page 58-60 of the Book,
Alcoholics Anonymous
© Alcoholics Anonymous
Old 06-12-2012, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Taking the initiative to clean up my act was a good start. Glad to see you fixing your life too.
Old 06-12-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

best luck!!
Old 06-12-2012, 10:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So true! its like I created all these so called good reasons why I wasnt an alcoholic, and to everyone else it was a no brainer!! Thanks