Notices

I am devastated...help

Old 06-05-2012, 02:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
In love with life.

I am devastated...help

I just found out that ALL my belongings (thousands of dollars worth) in storage has been thrown out. A family member who's selling his business gutted his warehouse, and everything I own went with it. Apparently he didnt know my stuff was in there. I feel like I just came home to a burnt down house. I don't care about material stuff, but keepsake stuff is irreplacable and I'm having a REALLY hard time dealing with this. Its gone, forever
Old 06-05-2012, 03:04 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh MG that stinks i'm so sorry that happened. It is amazing, how attached we become to things, objects, even for sentimental value, even though we know the reality that eventually they will fall to dust just as we ourselves will.

I am fond of saying "space is a commedity." I used to have a great attachment to books, each had its own meaning to me. Then I discovered I was trapped in my options, by virtue of how much space was required for my belongings. It was so hard to give away, to throw away, so many objects and things; yet as i worked through them, it was also progressivly freeing in a way.

There is that thing, that saying, about accepting the things we cannot change. I know this has been hard, but in it also perhaps a life lesson, that we must be prepaired, emotionally, to lose whatever we may have at any given time, because the misfortions of life can cause that to happen. When such does happen, when acts of God or nature or whatever blow our houses down, destory what we value, we must be able to regroup, rebuild, and move on bravely into a new day. When loved ones aren't lost as well, it is easier, but when they are, we still must face the harsh reality of our human condition, and press onward, in the best tradition of that same human condition.

I am being honest, not trying to downplay your feelings, I hope you know that. I'm sorry I can't find better words, but I do understand how you feel.
Old 06-05-2012, 03:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
In love with life.

Honestly, that is exactly what I needed to hear! At least I can be grateful no one I love was in the 'burning house'. And as you said, sometimes its hard to let go of belongings but when you do it can be freeing. As devastated as I am right now, maybe it was a helping hand to get rid of the old, to make room for the new. With that comes strength because I did not go out and buy a bottle to drown my sorrows. Thank you!!
Old 06-05-2012, 03:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I know this isn't the same thing...but in my heart it is similar. A couple of years ago, we were selling my ten year old Suburban. At the time, my 18 year old son, an addict, had been stealing from us--heirlooms, cash, electronics. At some point, we "hid" my husband's collection of baselball cards in the back of the suburban--five very large rubbermaid containers held cards he'd saved from his 1970s youth and many more he had added over the years--his heart and soul collection--worth about $30,000 minimum. The truck had been sitting for quite some time as we had replaced it. When we decided to sell it for basically nothing....the cards went with it. Completely forgot they were back there..probably drunk when put them there! Sadly, the folks that bought it weren't honest...the material value hurt, but the fact that he put so much into collecting those darn things---i can picture him pulling the card out of his Frosted Flakes in 1976! All gone!

Anyway....I get it. I am sorry for what happened to you! I guess we all need a good perspective shake every now and then! Glad no one went down in your burning house or mine!
Old 06-05-2012, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Its his mistake...he needs to make it right somehow. I wish everyone worked a program! Geez...now your off to make new memories! Just dont store trust your family to store them.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry MG - I've lost a lot of things over the years too.

I eventually reconciled it by realising, as hard as it is to loose the keepsakes, I still have the memories behind them. Noone can ever take those from me

There's a lot of years ahead to start collecting new keepsakes

D
Old 06-05-2012, 05:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

This is pretty ironic. This morning I put a few things to the curb for free. I ended up cleaning out the shed and garage!! Things I was going to sell...even collectibles. It feels SSOOOO good to be free of it. There's going to be more tomorrow from inside the house. I'm nearing my second month sober and I'm really feeling THE URGE TO PURGE I call it. Any loss is tough and there are stages. Shock/denial...Anger/depression/ Acceptance/understanding...........I am sorry though about the sentimental things, you can still hold them dearly to your heart in memories.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So sorry this happened to you. There are things we hold so precious, so dear... but it is the associations with those things that make them so valuable. And it is those memories and meanings we assign to them that can never leave us.
Old 06-07-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
~sb

I feel your pain.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Close your eyes, see the things in your mind. They are right there.