Notices

Third time's a charm

Old 06-04-2012, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Third time's a charm

Let me start by saying I have a seizure disorder that has been well controlled for over 5 years now.

A little over a year ago I went through a 5 day detox program followed by a lengthy outpatient rehab program. I stayed completely sober for 8 months before I thought I'd be able to handle and occasional drink or two at dinner.

After slipping for a couple moths, I approached my neurologist with no intention of going back to the detox center. He prescribed me Librium on a tapering dosage. It worked really well, but this time I thought I just needed to monitor my drinking habits better.

Needless to say, I've relapsed again. Without going into detail, my wife approached me about the "D" word. I immediately hit the bottle and didn't look back. I think it may be as bad as it was before the initial detox.

As it goes, the detox center wiped me financially and I'm not too thrilled with the idea of going back and being away from my kids.

Today, I've had two very strong, very large drinks, which for me as of late, is really good. I'm down from about six that I normally would have had by 8:30. But I'm suffering. Not too terribly, but I stay up all night sweating, shaking, anxious, etc. I really think I'm getting better though. I realize now that complete abstinence is the right way for me.

In the meantime, cutting down has been difficult but I'm beginning to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

Anyhow, I just wanted to share that with people that may know where I'm coming from.
Old 06-04-2012, 06:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My experience differs from yours...I'm now an AA recovered alcoholic
who never went to treatement centers or an out patient course.
Instead....straight into AA...and have stayed to find joy and purpose..

Soooo...I suggest you find a local group...get connected and begin Step work.
Why? because that is how I found a fantastic new life sans alcohol.

Do check with your doctor re the best way to de tox...especially considering
your medical history....trying it on your own could be very dangerous.
Be both sober and safe.

Welcome to our recovery community...blesssings to you and your family
Old 06-06-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Bobby

I agree with what Carol has said though; please go see your doctor. Withdrawal can be extremely dangerous for some and with your seizure disorder.

Keep posting and let us know how you're doing

M
Old 06-06-2012, 09:47 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

Like Carol and one or two million others, I recovered through AA. I tried a few other things first through the courts, counselling, rehab, etc but I missed the point. Each of these was a failure and a stepping stone to AA. There wasn't anything wrong with the rehab or the counselling, it was just that I was coming at it from the wrong angle. I didn't like the idea of being an alcoholic so I was much more interested in finding a reason (excuse) for my appalling behaviour, than a cure for it.

So I started off trying to pin it on my childhood, then I heard about bad mothers so I tried that "cut me some slack, this is all my mother's fault, not mine!" then I got on to temporal lobe conditions as a reason but they wouldn't give me a brain scan. Next I read about depression and that became my excuse. I went to all possible lengths to continue my selfish indulgence until I became so unhappy and so unwell, that I could not continue.

Then I called AA, finally willing to concede that maybe alcoholism was my problem and all the other stuff just a smoke screen. I was almost dead, a barely functioning excuse for a human being, but at last I was willing, had a measure of honesty, and was openminded enough to accept spiritual help. That was all I needed to make a start and I haven't needed a drink since.

That was over 32 years ago. I found a long term solution which has given me a wonderfully rewarding life. It can be yours too if you can muster a little honesty, openmindedness and willingness.
Old 06-07-2012, 06:33 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

How are you doing today Bobby?