Notices

I Need Help ..............

Old 01-02-2004, 03:28 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Unhappy I Need Help ..............

At the end of the year I finally decided it was time I really did something about my drinking. I have faught for a very long time not to admit I have a problem. Don't know quite how I came to admit that I do!! I had 3 very large gins before I went to a fancy dress party at a pub and there I drank cola all night - even refused champagne at midnight!! I didn't drink at all yesterday and I want that to continue for the rest of my life.

I'm proud of what I did - I know it's only a little step and I am still wondering what on earth has made me move towards doing this. I certainly didn't make any 'New Year's Resolution' - but it was nice waking up on 1.1.2004 and remembering every bit of the night before. I was even amused by the fact that my husband (who thinks drink is something you look at all year) had a slight hangover.

I joined this site because I feel that if I talk about my problem with others who understand I will be able to keep going. I hope I'm right.
Old 01-02-2004, 02:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome To SR

brokenmould...

Please read our post in this Forum we have lots of information.
Ask questions...we are here to help uou.

Glad you are here...:shades:
Old 01-02-2004, 02:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi there brokenmould , and CONGRATS on your decision, as carol says , have a read around and ask any questions , we sure will help if we can .

You have come to a great place for friendship and support

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-04-2004, 02:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi brokenmould,

Good for you on your decision and good luck. It's not only good waking up and remembering the night before, what I love most is knowing I'm going to wake up in the morning and remember tonight. does that make sense?

I hope you manage to stick at it - and you will if you make the most of the people and resources that are available. I gave up maybe 10 or 12 times before this last time. I wasn't ready then - but this time I was.

Keep me posted on your progress - even if it's bad news, doesn't mean you've failed forever.

Deg.
Old 01-07-2004, 01:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey Brokenmould! I'm new here too - registered yesterday and posted my story... admitting the problem to yourself is the first step - I spent years (and years and years) not thinking I had a problem then gradually the message went in - drink was causing me problems in my life socially, work-wise etc... I stopped for 53 days then relapsed and am now on day 10... I don't really know why I relapsed but I am stronger than ever this time..

How long have you been drinking? I see you mention gin - is that your favourite? I used to drink whiskey and in the past I thought 'Well I'll stop drinking whiskey and I'll be ok' but then I just got hammered on wine.

Good luck and the people here are so supportive - I feel I can be even stronger with their help....

Take care...
Old 01-07-2004, 07:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Brokenmould, and TurnBackTime

Welcome here! What a joy to go into the New Year sober. I have 15 days today, and they have been the best 15 days in many years. I will be looking for your posts and hope you will....NO....make that....KNOW you will find many friends here. Hard to keep them straight at first, but soon enough you will think that you have known people on this site for years.

Hugs,
Gianna
Old 01-07-2004, 08:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

TurnBackTime

Welcome to SR, I have found this site to be a nice addition to my program,
I was a whiskey drinker too, then tried switching to beer, man it costs a lot to get good and drunk on beer.
glad that cycle has been broken,
best of luck to you.

Jay
Old 01-07-2004, 09:59 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Hello! Is this seat taken??

Jay Walker said it best - "I have found this site to be a nice addition to my program". ie: ADDITION. catch meetings, don't drink, and keep coming back and letting us know how you're doing. I know it may be tough to find a meeting out there in the UK - but it's EXTREMELY important to get face to face recovery in order to stay sober.

wishing you the best of blessings and luck!

pad
Old 01-08-2004, 01:21 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally posted by padawan

snip
it's EXTREMELY important to get face to face recovery in order to stay sober.

wishing you the best of blessings and luck!

pad
It may be important....or not. People vary quite a bit in what helps them. Forum boards such as this may help you maintain your new commitment to abstinence, and online meetings are an option too. It's even better if your family is supportive, but not always possible to get support there....I would say that doing something daily to reaffirm the decision--meetings, posting here, reading about sobriety--keeps the commitment in the foreground in these early days of sobriety.

I traded whiskey for wine for a while, which slowed down the rate at which I got drunk. Yep, sure takes a lot of beer too, Jay! I was pretty astounded when I added up all the calories I used to ingest through the softer forms of alcohol.

Figuring out what motivated you to make the decision, and what you used to get out of drinking, may be helpful to you in continuing the decision. Drinking is a behavior we generally do for a reason--although that can be hard to remember years later. You've done the part many people have the most difficulty with: the stopping. Now to STAY stopped it will be helpful to analyze your beliefs and attitudes about alcohol so you can make that change for good.

Don S
Old 01-08-2004, 06:28 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

brokenmould,

That's a BIG decision and congrats on it! Please keep us posted.

Jay....... I gave up on beer and wine years before I quit. Once I realized what I was after (getting drunk), I went straight for the vodka. I soon realized that the liquor store employees didn't care how much I bought, so that fear went away. And I was off to the races.

At the end, it was straight Vodka, from the bottle or glass.

And it was the cheap stuff too.