Notices

Almost one year sober!

Old 05-21-2012, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Almost one year sober!

Hi

Few days from now I've been sober for 1 year, and I can honestly say that I'm very thankful for the life I have today. It is at least 1000 times better than when i was drinking.

I've decided that I will remain sober the rest of my life, no mather what.

But not everything is perfect and great... I was very naive when I decided to stop drinking, and thought to myself " when you're sober you will be happy and live a normal life"

Truth is, I still have the same problems I forgot about when drinking, I just realise I have them now.

My main problem is that I'm 25 now... I'm male btw.

I've done nothing but drinking, doing drugs and being send to institutions for the criminal youth, ever since I was 13

...my childhod was pretty good, at first, but there was also a lot of bad stuff.

On top of that I've had extreme anxiety since I was 17, alcohol seemed to help a lot with that, but in fact it was the alcohol that made it grow much worse.

Soo I know a little about the normal life, but never lived it myself!

Sure, I've had many friends, but they were not real friends, we drank beers and did drugs together, that was it!

Never had a girlfriend, I've kissed a few girls, when drunk and they were drunk, some claim I've slept with them, I don't remember that! I remember I was with a prostitute once, was so high and drunk I couldn't even, you know.

Never had a job, was kicked out of school at 13, never to return!

Soo yes, I'm sober! My brain still works, iq tested above average ( recent real test), I can still think, learn and remember (guess I am lucky I spend those sober years in the institutions) My body has no illnesses. *I need to loose some weight, but my looks -will soon- be ok.

But I feel like a total looser!

Zero self esteem, I own nothing, know nobody, my anxiety is almost gone, however I don't know how to aproach people, once tried to tell my past to a girl who hardly knew me, never saw her again ha ha. Have zero working experience. And the list goes on and on.

Sooo this is my current situation, I'm not sure of the purpose of posting this...guess I just want to tell somebody, and maybe get some advise on how to cope with waking up to the real life...

Btw english is not my main language, but I feel safer posting here, rather than some forum from my own country where people might recognize me thru my story.
Old 05-22-2012, 04:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
instant

You are way in front of where you were. Your achievements to date are impressive. What are you doing to further your prospects?
Old 05-22-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congrats
Old 05-22-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Thanks for shareing part of your life with us...Welcome...

Good to know of your sober time...well done!
Old 05-22-2012, 01:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello Skandi,

Congratulations on staying sober for nearly a whole year! That is a magnificent achievement and you should be very proud of yourself. You are obviously intelligent speaking two languages and I feel confident saying that the longer you stay sober, the brighter your future will become. All the best,

Recharger
Old 05-22-2012, 01:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats man
Old 05-22-2012, 02:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Skandi

Congratulations on your upcoming year

I found my first year was pretty much about not drinking...from then on it was about me looking at me and my personal development...

I think you're right where you need to be Skandi

D
Old 05-23-2012, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome and I agree with the others - you're going in the right direction! Do you have a counselor/therapist?
Old 05-23-2012, 11:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Congratulations!! You've been through each day of a year sober, all the seasons and holidays. That builds sober reference. I don't think about staying sober forever (it would probably make me drink!), only not drinking today. I have over 7300 days sober now.
Old 05-23-2012, 06:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congrats. Here's a real practical idea - try day labor at an agency. It's a great way to meet people who hire for real jobs. They 'll send you to all kinds of places so you can see what different jobs are like. If you have a good attitude and work hard, it won't be long before someone notices and offers something more permanent. I've done exactly that several times. Good luck.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:00 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Wow! One year sober, that's huge. Congratulations. Maybe therapy could help you sort through the past stuff and help you to move on to the "normal" life you want and deserve.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Congrats
Old 05-24-2012, 09:46 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Congrats and thanks for sharing... Wishing you well,
Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats on one year sober! It must have been a long road to get where you are but I hope you see how great you are to accomplish that feat! Even though you might feel strange at first, why not try an AA meeting so you can meet some people? Having connections with people is so important, it will likely help your self esteem and decrease your anxiety. At least try and listen to some stories. Easier said than done but give it a try. I plan to.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NYCDoglvr View Post
Congratulations!! You've been through each day of a year sober, all the seasons and holidays. That builds sober reference. I don't think about staying sober forever (it would probably make me drink!), only not drinking today. I have over 7300 days sober now.
that's 20 years!
i salute you.
Old 05-25-2012, 12:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi

Thanks a lot for the kind replies!

I do plan to visit AA next week. I feel a need to talk about alcohol and how I used it, and people who have never had a problem with drinking, doesn't seem to be the best to talk to about that.

But I do a lot to improve my life on my own right now, one of those things is that I've started eating healthy and working out, I hope that this can be my new addiction, since it seems like I need to have at least one, to not go crazy haha.

In a few weeks I will try to make a list of all the stuff I can do in the city I live close to, hopefully I will find something I like and meet some friendly people!
Old 05-25-2012, 04:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Skandi thats great! very proud to hear you pulling it together. I'm 27 myself. been drinking since I was 21 though, alcoholism robbed me of myself very fast. It didn't take me long to be an alcoholic. I didn't drink daily which in my mind didn't qualify me to be an alcoholic. To me an alcoholic was someone who drank everyday, walked around in a stupor, got arrested for being drunk in public, poor, drank the day away when they were suppose to be at work.... years later in my drinking just a year ago I had reached the point of drinking daily on and off and missing work. last summer I had drank myself so drunk I couldn't go to work that night. Did I call in sick? nope. I was way too drunk to even talk and sound sick so I said forget it. I drank the night away with my buddies.... well drinking buddies and forgot about work. I was in such a stupor I was yelled at by people on the other side of the road "GO HOME YOU DRUNK!" it was awful. Today I'm sober and it's been 9 months sober for me now, finally getting the AA program... been in AA for 4 years now and finally getting it, I have reached a more longer time of being sober. I don't think about drinking and sometimes when the thought comes up I reflect on what happens when I drink. I cause pain to myself, my family, friends and job and now... I would hurt my girlfriend of 6 months of dating if I drank again.

I'm so proud to hear you are getting it early like myself. We needed to get it and skip the whole life of on drugs or alcohol, I've seen what its done to 50 plus year olds. my father is a self admitted alcoholic and he drank everyday. he was grumpy, always slept during the day and was always cranky to us. Now? Now he's sober, happy, not sleeping in the day and not cranky. We both helped each other out in our time of need together. We both understand what we need to do to stay sober. And if you get " DONT join AA it's a cult!" Don't listen to them. AA is wonderful and made up of wonderful people. If it weren't for aa. I wouldn't be sitting here smiling as I type this to you feeling grateful for reading your inspiring message. I wouldn't be sober. I wouldn't be in a relationship where my girlfriend loves me for who I am today, sober and fun to be with and loveable. Thanks for your story, you have brought hope to those who didn't have any at all. You sure brought my attention to your story and I respect you for it Keep it up! It gets better! I'm only 3 months away from being 1 year myself good luck!
Old 05-30-2012, 10:50 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Hi again.

I visited AA today, and it was great! Very nice and friendly people! I really liked how honest most were about their problems and themself, this made it much easier for me to feel comfortable about talking about my own problems.

Another thing is, that it was also a HUGE thing for me to do, since my anxiety haven't allowed me to be arround people for the past many years, and especially people i don't know who is beforehand...and a group of people I don't know, would have been impossible a year ago!

But I did it! I introduced myself, talked a little about my problems with drinking and anxiety... It still blows my mind I did this infront of about 20 others who I didn't know!

I lasted about 40 minutes, before I had to go, since my anxiety started getting pretty high, but 40 min is also a HUGE improvement, and I'm sure it will only get better.

So today I'm very happy with myself, and I'm very thankful I'm sober!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:46 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
SoberOutlook

Congrats, Skandi. You have made quite a great start to sober living, and should be proud of the changes you've made in your life. It's quite an accomplishment. I look forward to my year in early August, and it's stories like yours that help keep me motivated. Thanks.