Notices

Smoking and alcoholics! Wow

Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I could take it or leave it. I really enjoy smoking a few cigarettes at any time - drinking or even not drinking. But the thought of paying $8 for these cancer sticks leads me to only enjoying a pack once every couple weeks.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberween View Post
That statistic seems greatly exaggerated to me too. I'm a non-smoker. Sounds stupid, but that is one of the reasons I hate AA meetings. I despise the smell of cigarettes. Especially on other peoples breath and also later on when I can smell the second hand smoke saturated in my clothes.
Wow, they still have smoking meetings!? I thought those went the way of the dinosaur. I really miss a dank, smoke infested AA hall, just something about it that made the whole thing more credible when I was new.

Funny story a sober friend of mine told me once that after he got a drunk driving case he was court ordered to a psych evaluation and the doctor determined he wasn't an alcoholic based on the fact that he didn't smoke.... after getting that green-light he proceeded to really firebomb his life with alcohol.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Smoking and drinking to me and those I know is like milk and cookies...can't have 1 without the other. Why drink if ya can't smoke?
Old 05-18-2012, 08:59 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Soberween View Post
That statistic seems greatly exaggerated to me too. I'm a non-smoker. Sounds stupid, but that is one of the reasons I hate AA meetings. I despise the smell of cigarettes. Especially on other peoples breath and also later on when I can smell the second hand smoke saturated in my clothes.
It's not stupid, it's stats. And stats gathered by pros like Quinnepiac U are reportedly extremely accurate. But, now that I really think about it, ALL my drinking buddies are smokers. Every single one of them. never really thought about that before now.

BTW, where in the world do you go to meetings that allow smoking!! I thought public smoking was long gone. If you light up a cig here in Ohio you are shot on site lol.
Old 05-19-2012, 02:03 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Re-Tread

I smoke 1 or 2 a day. Sometimes none. There are some good meetings near me that allow smoking inside. One time a lady actually suggested I could just bring my kid with me so I could make more meetings. Yuck. I had to quit going.
Old 05-19-2012, 08:01 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I smoked for twelve years, despite the fact that it killed generations of my family. It is truly an awful habit. I was one of those teens who became addicted at the FIRST PUFF. It was like water to me. Dad caught me smoking and forced me to smoke a pack--hell yeah, can I have the rest of the carton? Oops! Kind of like drinking, it really never made me sick, felt "right" from the get-go. I couldn't believe that I would ever be able to quit but I did. Still very proud of that. It put it in my brain that I might someday (17 yrs later) be able to quit drinking.

Now I have to put up with my smoking friends slowly killing themselves in front of me, drowning, going broke, stinking up their lives. Whenever someone talks about "gateway drugs" I always think of cigs and all the people I know who have just given up trying to quit. Some of them are really smart, most of them have to work at least a half hour a day to pay for the "privilege".

Something funny came to me about alcohol the other day--if it "helps" you with any of your problems you should stay away from it. I think the same could be said about smoking. The funny thing is, I still crave a smoke every once in a while!
Old 05-19-2012, 01:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I smoked from my mid-teens until I left my parents house for college. The reason I quit was due to not having any money in college; I simply couldn't afford it. When I lived with my parents I just added them to the grocery list. By the time I had money again I just wasn't interested in smoking butts anymore.

Today, I have no idea how anyone could justify the cost of being a smoker. Last I saw they were $8 a pack! A pack a day habit is equivalent to a car payment...

*says the guy who'd drop $150 on Saturady night's bar tab *