Notices

Difficulty getting to AA meetings

Old 05-11-2012, 07:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Difficulty getting to AA meetings

So, I'm moving in 2 months. Right now I live in a large city, and I'm spoiled, frankly, by the number & variety of AA meetings available to me. But shortly I will be moving to a *much* smaller town, where there is just one meeting a week. There are other meetings in surrounding towns, but I don't drive, and even if I did drive, we haven't got a car. Needless to say, I'm worried about being able to attend meetings!

I know what I am like. I *need* my AA meetings. I really need that face-to-face contact with other recovering alcoholics, and I am going to miss my current home group dreadfully. Where I'm moving, I know no one. I have already made note of the one meeting available there, and I know if I make some friends, I can maybe get a ride to other meetings, but I'm scared. In the past, I've relapsed from not getting to any meetings -- and I worry that if I am not comfortable with that one available meeting, I may stop going altogether.

Currently I am nearly 3 years sober. I have lots of online contacts, lots of friends in the AA program, lots to fall back on. But I'm still extremely apprehensive!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

We are spoiled in this day and age. If I couldn't hit 3-4 meetings a week I'd be bummed.

That said, when AA first got started, they had 1 meeting per week. Period. The average person did not own a phone - that was strictly UMC - upper middle class.

Today, 95% carry a cell phone with us, and we also have SR.com and other internet resources, speaker tapes and CDs - many also available online. So we have a lot of resources to stay sober.

So come here if you need to, or find other resources online. You can do it.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
~sb

Welcome!

Congrats on nearly 3 years!!!

I'm not sure why you've chosen to move to where you are going. Even while drinking I made certain I could walk to a meeting if I need to. Keep in touch with your online people and maybe make some more. Maybe your higher power will put the special people in your life in your new area! Stick around here, too! There's some people from Canada on here.

Hugs,
Old 05-11-2012, 09:40 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

"we trust infinite God rather than our finite selves."
if i was yer sponsor, i would say something like this:
are ya powerless over tomorrow?
yer thinkin gettin a lil insane?
wheres God in all this?
why are ya afraid?
ya told me, now how bout telling God?
ya intirely ready to let go of it?
wanna ask Him to remove them shortcomings?
didja hurt anyone( you and God included)
gonna make amends?
accept yer human and this will happen.
ask yer HP to show you how to live.
keep doin 1-11 and help someone else.

if ya pray dont worry, if ya worry dont pray. this sounds like its gonna be a great time for spiritual progress for ya.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Situations where I let my mind wonder hardly ever turn out the way I pictured them. If you work the 12 steps then you should be able to deal with your new living situation.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

I'd recommend some inventory on "needing" meetings. I go, I like them, but I don't "need" them so much anymore. I got free from that lie my ego told me (it was another form of me / human power keeping me sober......which is in contrast to what the program tells me).

Aside from that, when they ask for announcements, are you willing to stand up, announce where you live and say that you're new to the area, don't drive, and need rides to meetings? That was one of the lengths I had to go to.....didn't want to do it......didn't like doing it.....but I needed to do it and was glad I did.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:40 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Invaluable resource here: XA-Speakers - The lights are on!
Old 05-11-2012, 09:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You could always start your own meeting! You could be the hope in this new area and build a group.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too moved at 3 years.....from D.C. to Fl. and knew no one in the area who was AA.
6 years later...another move to an even smaller town....and no AA contacts.

The formats varied...the rooms differed...accents changed....and yet....
.the hand of AA remained and i quickly became an active HG member...

When my vision dimmed...and I quit driving...I have depended on other
members to go to meetings as well as other necessary places.
It's been working well for me for over 5 years.

Please check out the final paragraph in our BB on page 43.

Well done on your recovery years....and you know how to continue your progress.... .
Old 05-12-2012, 01:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
12 Step Recovered Alcoholic

In our smaller towns where there are only one or two meetings, the members often carpool to a meeting another town. By heading out visiting others, they seem also to attract visitors which keeps their local fresh. you need not drive, but you could contribute to petrol.

As others have said, some inventory on why you "need" meetings may be called for. Sure meetings play a part in getting you sober, but without the steps, meetings would be a total failure. It has been a long time since I felt I needed meetings. I go now to see what I can contribute, and there is no doubt I find the experience very rewarding.

But then I periodically head away to remote places on my yacht and go for weeks or months without meetings and it has no effect on my quality of life. That's because God is with me and I take Him and the steps wherever I go.
Old 05-12-2012, 05:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by KathP View Post
So, I'm moving in 2 months. Right now I live in a large city, and I'm spoiled, frankly, by the number & variety of AA meetings available to me. But shortly I will be moving to a *much* smaller town, where there is just one meeting a week. There are other meetings in surrounding towns, but I don't drive, and even if I did drive, we haven't got a car. Needless to say, I'm worried about being able to attend meetings!

I know what I am like. I *need* my AA meetings. I really need that face-to-face contact with other recovering alcoholics, and I am going to miss my current home group dreadfully. Where I'm moving, I know no one. I have already made note of the one meeting available there, and I know if I make some friends, I can maybe get a ride to other meetings, but I'm scared. In the past, I've relapsed from not getting to any meetings -- and I worry that if I am not comfortable with that one available meeting, I may stop going altogether.

Currently I am nearly 3 years sober. I have lots of online contacts, lots of friends in the AA program, lots to fall back on. But I'm still extremely apprehensive!
Where are you moving, Kath ??

Hook up with the members in your new town, I'm near Windsor and there are always people going to meetings in the surrounding towns. They'll come and scoop you up.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-12-2012, 06:59 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, all, for the support. I'm moving from Toronto to Dundalk, and I already know exactly where the 1 in-town meeting is held, and when. I know the biggest step for me will be to introduce myself as new to the area -- because if I can just get past that (and that's a HUGE hurdle for me!) then the rest will likely fall into place.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

In a smaller town there will be fewer women and you will find your sobriety and experience is much needed. You will find yourself needed as a sponsor much more than you feel you are ready for. Get other women (sponsees) ready for sponsorship as best as you can and put them to work.

You will very quickly see there are things that you can bring to the table from your old meetings. Bide your time and propose any changes from the center, not the outside.

There will be little anonymity in a small town. For anyone. They will know you had a drinking problem. You will know many of their quirks too. Stay away from the gossips in a small town.

You'll do fine.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:47 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
I too moved at 3 years.....from D.C. to Fl. and knew no one in the area who was AA.
6 years later...another move to an even smaller town....and no AA contacts.

The formats varied...the rooms differed...accents changed....and yet....
.the hand of AA remained and i quickly became an active HG member...

When my vision dimmed...and I quit driving...I have depended on other
members to go to meetings as well as other necessary places.
It's been working well for me for over 5 years.

Please check out the final paragraph in our BB on page 43.

Well done on your recovery years....and you know how to continue your progress.... .
Final paragraph, p. 43

"Once more: The alcoholic at certain times has no effective mental defense against the first drink. Except in a few cases, neither he nor any other human being can provide such a defense. His defense must come from a Higher Power."

More About Alcoholism